Destiny classes and races revealed, detailed by Bungie

Thursday, 4th April 2013 10:29 GMT By Dave Cook

Destiny developer Bungie has shed light on the different races and classes you’ll be controlling in its highly-ambitious MMO shooter.

Eurogamer reports that Destiny will play home to three races. There’s the humans, who live in Earth’s last city under the protection of the Traveller, which is the giant alien sphere you may have seen hanging in the sky in much of Destiny’s concept art. Here’s a pic of a typical human character:

Then you have the Awoken which according to the site were designed at Bungie with vampires and elves in mind. They’re said to be both beautiful and mysterious. Why here’s one now:

Finally, inspired by Bungie’s very own Master Chief, the Exo are described as ‘war machines’, and were designed by looking at undead characters and awesomely, The Terminator. Here’s a pic:

On top of three races, you can also choose one of three fighting styles. Titans are gun-heavy tanks, Hunters are more like wandering guns for hire and Warlocks are described as ‘space wizards’ – with each coming with different attributes as you’d expect.

Phew. Eurogamer also posted a Destiny clip from GDC that discussed the studio’s approach to character development. Check it out:

1. adge_uk

Space Wizard please.

2. Dave Cook

@1 It’s just such a badass elevator pitch isn’t it?

“Fire a class at me bro.”
    “Space wizard”
    “Here, have this promotion.”

3. adge_uk

This is how all jobs should work. We can learn a lot here.

4. Dave Cook

@3 Agreed. Lets start an indie studio called Space Wizard Productions, get rich and then become artistic wankers.

5. hives

Much, much hype, but… I feel like it’s one of these games that press is more hyped for, but gamers are more sceptical.

I don’t know, I’m not a big fan of games made for co-op. I want to start my epic adventure whenever I want, and with co-op you have to wait for your friends, you’re not as immersed as when you’re playing 100% single-player game etc.

I just wait if they will announce PvP and if it will be similar to Halo’s.

6. Francis O

I got to admit, I hate shooters, but this game looks kind of cool. Kind of has a advanced feel of FallOut or something like that too it.

I really hope they make a Wii U or PC version though, as I would prefer to play it on one of those platforms.

7. zinc

Exo Titan seems like a nice no brainer class…

*Stomp, stomp, Boom, Boom*

8. Lengendaryboss

@Francis A Wii U version is rumored as well as a PC version, so you might be in luck.
    Anyway i would be interested in this game, but i don’t see anything unique. Online only: just makes my opinion about it worse.

9. viralshag

When is this game due out? Because it looks very similar to Destiny (maybe a little better)… but I’m definitely interested in it.

10. Lengendaryboss

@9 2014 at the moment, no date set in stone yet, don’t want it competing with COD :D
    @11 I was confused as hell by that :)

11. zinc

^ Er, this IS Destiny Viral…

12. Dragon246

@Viral,
    ?

The only thing I am not liking about this is that it requires constant internet connection like MMOs.

13. deathm00n

@12 Because it is a MMO, isn’t it?

14. Dragon246

@Deathmoon,
    Its a “shared player” experience, so yeah MMO, no single player only mode, which sucks for me.

15. deathm00n

@14 I like MMOs a lot, so I’m going to give it a try.

16. Oh no its Colt

@14 You can play single-player if you want. They’re not going to force you to play with others

17. Djoenz

Are you sure about that? I dont know man.

18. Oh no its Colt

@17 Well, for some people’s sake, I hope so.

19. Espers

I have this feeling of this becoming off-rails !! I mean ELVES AND VAMPS ?! come one !! …. Oh what about Orcs ?! Mom and Dad too ?! Forgot all marvel heroes too ?! add some angry birds if you like
    wasn’t it an offline experience ?! now it is an MMO ?!