Project Shield: hands-on with Tegra-4 powered goodness

Wednesday, 3rd April 2013 16:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

During GDC 2013, VG247′s Sam Clay was given hands-on time with Nvidia’s Project Shield, the Tegra-4 powered mobile console announced at CES earlier this year. Even better? The demo featured Skyrim streaming from PC, and looking rather lovely.

The idea behind the portable console is to give gamers the ability to play “any game, any where, any time.” This means you can play your games on the bus, train, or hay truck without packing around any extra hardware, obviously.

While it may be an Android device at it’s heart, it has the ability to stream your PC games to allow for playing anywhere in your house on the device providing you have WiFi.

So far, 20 games have been optimized for Tegra with full controller support.

You can expect the device to start shipping at the end of the second quarter.

1. Lord Gremlin

To be honest, I’m fine with Vita. This one is kinda… Meh?

#1 1 year ago
  2. redwood

RUN VITA RUN!!!… this can introduce a really good new sphere to the devs if the right sort of trends pick up on this device. tegra 4 is fairly powerful. let’s see where it goes

#2 1 year ago
  3. Djoenz

I dont like portable consoles. What possible exclusives will this offer other than on 3DS and Vita?

Or only high end graphics are the standard these days?
    Batteries man they just suck.

#3 1 year ago
  4. redwood

well the streaming idea is NOT-NEW and NOT something that will move many units… but the form factor and the controls can actually allow people to make so mgreat stuff on it.. like all those games on ANdroid that suck cause of touch screen will rock cause of the controller that comes with this :) like say KOF!!! or even asphalt..

#4 1 year ago
  5. Djoenz

Look man I just look at it the other way. The negative way:

1. Smartphones are bought for communication, everybody needs a phone. It just happens to support gaming/games. Casual at that or hardcore doesnt matter. You can take your phone anywhere at work its acceptable.

2. You cant take your portable console to work if you have a serious job.

3. Facebook is for networking and happens to support games/gaming.

4. Portable consoles specially made for games wont sell to the mainstream cause they are usually overpriced, battery is dead in no time. Why buy this when you can do it on your freaking phone.

Add a controller for android games suddenly its something more?
    You can play your PC games on this thing when you are in the same house wow.

I rather watch a movie while Im on the road when by train or bus than go play a game. Or just listen to music.

My Phone can do that. 3DS can do that. Vita can do that.
    Oh well I hope it sells well but I doubt it.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Samoan Spider

Hmm, this would interest me for sitting on the sofa and playing games so thus creating the illusion of being sociable with the other half, whilst hiding on another world. But I’ll wait for something more concrete on it before decisions are made. Like compatibility for starters. 20 games is not what was implied when it was first touted as a cover-all solution.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Lord Gremlin

Specialized devices are about games. I mean Vita – you get stuff like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 with gore, new Shinobido game etc. Stuff you can’t get on your phone and anywhere else.
    This Nvidia thing… You don’t need it at home, and outside it’s large and bulky and only supports games you can get on a phone.

It just doesn’t have it’s THING. The only thing it has is proper controls in Android games. Useful mostly in ports of old PS or PC games.

#7 1 year ago
  8. ps3fanboy

what a large and bulky crappy design… i think i just stick with the vita. when the ps4 arrive it will play all games streamed from the ps4 and much more.

#8 1 year ago
  9. RocknRolla

#5 you mean to tell me your phone can play Skyrim? Borderlands 2 etc etc? Really? Then I would love to get my hands on anphone like that! Who are you kidding? I get your point but your point is strangely stated. This is an alternative I am sure it will be overprised at the GT meeting they said 1000 $ pretty crazy right? Haha :D but I would love to see nVIDIA to make their own gaming console with their best graphics card and processor :D how cool wouldn’t that be? Like with Geeforce Titan? And make it last like Playstation and xbox for years. I mean to optimize it like that, make it compatable with Playstation and xbox controller as well, that would be a bomb, but I am just dreaming of a perfect world haha :D

#9 1 year ago