Next Xbox console is a “hot, compelling device”, says GameStop boss

Wednesday, 3rd April 2013 06:02 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Microsoft’s next console does some “really cool stuff”, according to GameStop executive J Paul Raines.

To date, Microsoft has not confirmed that it has a new console in the works, but it’s kind of an open secret. Raines refused to give any details, but in a chat with GamesIndustry, was one of the first to make any kind of open reference to the new hardware beyond a brief mention of NDAs.

“We’ve been spending a lot of time with Microsoft, but we have to let them take the lead on this, but it will be a very hot, compelling device,” he said.

“They are doing some really cool stuff, and I’m eager to hear them start their announcements because I think the world is going to stand up and take notice.”

As online vendors and digital sales eat into the traditional retail market, hardware remains something bricks-and-mortar can rely on. The last two hardware launches – 3DS and Vita – have been somewhat disappointing for retailers, but Raines said next-gen consoles won’t follow this trend, as many naysayers have predicted.

“I was talking to one of our founders, Dan DeMatteo, and he was telling me every console cycle you get people who will say ‘there will never be another console,’ or ‘what else can the consoles do?’ And we just believe it’s a cycle and we just haven’t had a new product in so long,” he said.

“But we certainly don’t believe that the new consoles won’t be as exciting. There’s a lot of demand for PS4, and I think there will be for the next Xbox as well, once it’s announced.”

Elsewhere in the interview, Raines said he doesn’t expect digital to ever fully replace digital, and that GameStop’s in-store digital content sales strategy is working. He wouldn’t committ to the question of whether next-gen games will be priced above the traditional $60 US RRP, but did say he thinks publishers would like it.

Nobody knows when Microsoft will break cover on the next Xbox console, which is codenamed Durango and nicknamed Xbox 720. Rumours put the console down as having similar if slightly less grunty specs to the PlayStation 4, but with dedicated hardware modules for various processing tasks. More wild talk speaks of always-on Internet, mandatory installs, and an obligatory Kinect, but a fairly bogstandard controller. Best guesses put the reveal before E3 2012.

1. DuckNation

“Yawn”

#1 1 year ago
  2. Clupula

Is he trying to pick it up at a bar?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dragon246

Gamestop happy = no used games block?
    …..
    Or something to do with desire to increase Gamestop share prices, which are at a 3 year high?

#3 1 year ago
  4. redwood

“he doesn’t expect digital to ever fully replace digital” ?

#4 1 year ago
  5. POOP CRUSTY

I hear it can scratch your balls and pet your cat…. Too bad I own a dog :(
    Still I’m intrigued. Although I’m getting a PS4 At launch. I will be getting an xbox not too long from then.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Francis O

I also hear the next Xbox will make you pay for online play, screw you over with MS points, and release a flood of Kinect and shooting games.

Sorry Gamestop, maybe this dude will get online play and games for free, but the rest of us have to pay for our games. And I don’t feel like blowing $50-60 on XBL to play games online, or have party chat.

My PC, Wii U, and future PS4 do online for free, and have better first party IPs…. MS better hope it can destroy Sony in America because the next Xbox is DOA in Japan, and will be edged by Sony in the UK.

#6 1 year ago
  7. G1GAHURTZ

Hope it doesn’t get too “hot”.

Don’t want it to RRoD…

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lengendaryboss

@4 I bloody well hope not the price most publishers charge is ridiculous. Digital=£60 Retail=£40 Online= less than £40. Until manufacturers have a better say on digital pricing by third party publishers, i will not embrace a digital future. Didn’t Gamestop say they’re were uncertain about the Next Xbox, not knowing MS strategy and plans?
    @6 Its sounds like you have based this current generation onto the next generation.

#8 1 year ago
  9. ps3fanboy

hope it don’t scratch the disc and your forced to buy ‘game protection’ from gamestop….

#9 1 year ago
  10. Tweetytunes

Who checked this report – expected e3 2012 ??? Last 2 hardware vista and 3ds. So the Wii U did not happen (i wish)and digital replacing digital.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Beta

@2 Exactly what I thought :’)

Then again “you’re a hot, compelling device” could be rather hit or miss at a bar.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Moonwalker1982

You guys are not mentioning something very interesting. Gamestop said this? Then this pretty much confirms that the ‘no used games’ stuff won’t turn out to be true. Otherwise this thing would be pretty bad for them.

#12 1 year ago
  13. malethief

@ 12, Sony did mention that the blocking of used games is up to the developers not the console makers. So the option is still there

Anyhow I will get a PS4 and the next xbox as I did this generation it’s just a matter of waiting for the games to come out and the launch price to decide which to get first and which to get after the inevitable price drop honestly.

#13 1 year ago
  14. IL DUCE

Telling from the last paragraph, this article was clearly written with a Sony bias…I have no problem with Microsoft keeping the Xbox controller the same since it’s already awesome and doesn’t need a touch screen forced in the middle of it (which is the only difference between Dual Shock 3 and 4, and hell even the Dual Shock 2 looks the same as the 3)…mandatory installs have always been required on PS3 so not sure why its being reported as a negative for the next Xbox…and so what, the next Kinect comes packaged with the new console, pretty sure no one is being forced to use it…the only thing new and worth discussing or deserves a positive/negative reaction, which I’m totally fine with, is the alleged always-on internet connection requirement

#14 1 year ago