Metal Gear voice actor feels “a little ill” over casting snub

Tuesday, 2nd April 2013 00:54 GMT By Brenna Hillier

David Hayter has become almost synonymous with Metal Gear’s Snake character, and he’s just as unhappy about his exclusion from Metal Gear Solid 5 as you are.

In a statement released on Twitter, Hayter said he would never have voluntarily retired from his role as the voice of Solid Snake and Big Boss.

“If it were my choice, I would do this role forever. To hear anyone else’s voice coming from Snake’s battered throat, makes me a little ill, to be honest,” he said.

“But the truth is it’s not my choice. Any and all casting decisions are the sole purview of Hideo Kojima, and Konami itself. And that’s fair.”

Hayter said he was given no reason or explanation for the casting decision, just told that he “wouldn’t be needed” for this one.

Fans have been quick to point out that although Hayter voiced Big Boss and Solid Snake in all the games in which they starred, he did not voice Big Boss in his short appearance in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots – so Big Boss’s increasing age may partly explain the voice change. In Japan, the same actor voices all roles and is making a return for The Phantom Pain.

Metal Gear Solid 5 will be released in two parts. Ground Zeroes is set in 1974, after the events of Peace Walker, and is the prologue to The Phantom Pain, which is set in 1983, more than ten years before the events of Metal Gear. So far, Konami has said the new games are expected on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, but demonstrations have been made on high-end PC.

Thanks, Gematsu.

1. Triggerhappy

Well I’m a little ill as well… I honestly can’t stop thinking about this, I tried to explain it to my mate on Friday night when I was a little drunk and he was like “So what…” then I was like “SO WHAAAAT!?!?”

2. Erthazus

“Kojima said recently that The Phantom Pain is a new kind of Metal Gear game, and he wants that change reflected in the voice actor.”

That’s bullshit. Voice Actor won’t do shit here especially when “In Japan, the same actor voices all roles and is making a return for The Phantom Pain.” is happening.

I think Kojima made the biggest mistake here that has “0″ logic. Even if it is story related, it’s still a mistake, because people like hearing David Hayter’s voice in MGS.

3. Triggerhappy

@ Erth: Exactly, it makes no sense at all. Im still slightly hopeful this is all just a “joke” and we’ll here Hayter’s gravely voice saying “Kept you waiting, huh.” soon enough…

4. apollyonbob

@2 Yeah that’s a very uh, late 80s early 90s statement. “Oh, since there’s no way that they know what’s going on in Japan.”

Welcome to the Internet, Kojima.

But yeaaaaah. Clearly something happened somewhere that has nothing to do with the game.

5. Beta

I’d like to be excited since I’ve loved Kojima’s previous work.

But the way they’ve treated Hayter and given the fans a piss poor excuse for why he’s not in this game has soured me on it.

6. POOP CRUSTY

BAHAHAHAHA THIS IS A TROLL!!!!!!! Like triggerhappy said. “Kept you waiting hu?” Is too golden a phrase to no be used in a special way here. Jeff Keighley(Sorry for butchering his last name) was on cahoots with Kojima for 2 years about the phantom pain. I believe David will be back and is in on the troll. Maybe I’m hopping too much here but look. I want to take Metal Gear on a new direction and that includes the voice. Yet Japan’s voice actor is the same and so is Master Miller’s english voice. Sorry Kojima you’ve trolled me enough….Not this time!!!

7. POOP CRUSTY

My word…. I actually got his last name right…..

8. GwynbleiddiuM

Making more comment on this would make me more ill that I already am, but I just hope Kojima reconsiders.

9. xxJPRACERxx

I’m not a fan of this series but I hate when they change actors you saw or heard for years.

If Kojima wanted a new voice he should have asked Hayter to do the voice but take a new one. Fans would have heard the new voice but with some familiarity in it.

10. YoungZer0

Doesn’t look like a joke. Looks like Kojima is being a gigantic cunt.

11. viralshag

Seems pretty stupid to me. Hayter has always seemed to genuinely love the role, you have millions of fans who love the actor and the look and sound of Snake is iconic.

12. Triggerhappy

@ Viral: “I would suggest if you want to change something so major like that and make a “new type of Metal Gear game”, then make a NEW game without Snake.”

Exactly. Same goes for Splinter Cell, if it was a new character instead of EVERYTHING being different except his name then maybe I’d be able to get on board with this new one.

13. viralshag

@Trig, Yeah. I’m not a huge fan of MG but I do love SC and Ironside is the one true Sam Fisher to me. Right off the bat in the first trailer I was like “Who that F is that talking? Is that meant to be Fisher?”

Proper annoying. Just make a new agent. I would have no problem getting to know a new badass Fisher-like agent. Obviously that plan can fall flat on its face like it did in the new Army of Two game where the two new dudes are about as boring as watching paint dry.

14. Bomba Luigi

Its just a very sad Situation, because it looks like Kojima do it for no special Reason. Maybe he thought that Hayter has become to big, maybe he just didn’t like hes work anymore. Maybe this is all Joke to make fun of Splinter Cell, what do I know. But I really would like to hear a good Reason.

Because you really don’t do any new that has nothing to do with previous Games when the Damn Game is a Sequel and a Prequel at the same Time and has a god damn 5 in the Titel.

And for Sam Fisher: I really thought Sam would Quit all the Sneaking after Conviction, and because he really getting old. Or maybe he would become the new Lambert, something like that with a new Guy that you Play. But just make him younger (again) and change Voice Actor really is silly.

15. YoungZer0

@13: That would’ve been a much better Idea. I mean Fisher is leading 4E, so why is he on the ground?

I dunno about you guys, but I loved the Coop from SCC. The two guys were fantastic and cool. Imagine a whole game with the duality of those characters. Always chatting back and forth about how russia or america suck balls.

16. Beta

I don’t believe it’s a joke. I simply believe that Kojima is being an asshat to Hayter and the fans of his work as Snake. I wouldn’t mind if it was a new character, or if they hadn’t dropped Hayter with such a rude manner.

Petition is nearly at 10.5K signatures now.

17. viralshag

@15, Tbh the SCC MP is some of the best co-op around. It’s like what we were saying about Army of Two, great co-op action. They are like two ends of the spectrum of stealth to balls-to-the-wall action.

When they changed the VA for Sam Fisher I concocted the idea that perhaps Sam Fisher is the codename for all their operatives. I think I was being optimistic.

18. Triggerhappy

@ Viral: Yeh when I seen that E3 reveal I was all smiles until I seen Sam’s face was about 15 years younger… then there was the voice… at that point I got up and made a Pot Noodle. Still not seen the rest of that trailer.

They could have kept Ironside in the game with him taking on a more Grimm-like role talking a new agent through his objectives.

@ YoungZer0: Yup Coop was the best part of SCC for me, that was the first time I had REALLY enjoyed a game in multiplayer, the banter between the two characters was fantastic, and when you were teamed up with someone that was good and could keep it nice and stealthy it really made you feel like a couple of badass agents.

@ Beta: Wow, that petition’s moving quite fast. Hope it makes a difference.

19. YoungZer0

@17: TbH your Idea of a superior SCBL kind of ruined the game for me now. D:

@18: Yeah, the banter. I loved just how different the characters were and how their relationship bonded with time, from “fuck you and your country” to “you’re my friend”.

Oh man, the coop was so much fun. Much better than Chaos Theory if you ask me.

20. Beta

@18 Hopefully yes, I’ve been tweeting Konami and Kojima with it once every 2 days or so, so they should at least know about it. :’)

21. Johnny Cullen

@20 I really don’t think that petition’s gonna do anything. My view is it was simply time for Hayter to go.

22. Da Man

Finally, a Metal Gear videogame without overplayed melodrama of that neurotical voice.

23. Triggerhappy

@ Johnny: So what’s you take on all this then?? I know you’re a big Metal Gear fan… are you as gutted as the rest of us?

24. Hellhound30x

I was thinking about this… I think I’m done with MGS. I mean, I really was torn thinking about it. I know as a fan what I want. I don’t need Kojima, or Konami telling me what I should want. I just can’t even begin to imagine an MGS game starring Big Boss, or Solid Snake without David Hayter. Its just not MGS, and no matter how much someone tries to convince me it is, its just not, and never will be MGS to me. (Just like I don’t care about the next Splinter Cell without Michael Ironside.)

So I’ve decided I’m just done with MGS. I don’t care what happens, what convoluted story line Kojima throws at the eager who will buy anything. I just don’t care. Besides with games like Bioshock, GtaV, Bungies Destiny, Naughty Dogs, The last of us, there are plenty of games that will take my money, and my time.

R.I.P. METAL GEAR! 4/2/2013. (The day I made my decision of course.)

25. Beta

Personally I don’t see that it was time for Hayter to go, nothing wrong with his delivery. Though I respect your opinion Johnny.

With regards to the petition, there’s always a point in trying, even if it’s unsuccessful :)

26. viralshag

@Trig, The thing is no Ironside won’t stop me from getting it. I love the SC games, I really liked the pace in SCC and I’m hoping we will get more of the same in BL. SC stealth is great imo.

@YZ, Sorry. I do think that’s how they should play it, though. They should have introduced it in a trailer where Sam is about to kill a target who might have seen him before (old Sam that is) and when the target says “You’re not Sam Fisher, I know that man’s face…” New Sam could say something along the lines of “Sam Fisher has many faces.” BAM.

27. Triggerhappy

@ Viral: See that’s where I’m a bit “cut your nose off to spite your face”, I won’t be picking it up and it’s all because they changed one of the things I liked about the game the most… for me Sam’s this aged, jaded and cynical character who probably should’ve went in to retirement a long time ago. I liked his mature gravely voice and his 90% grey hair lol. But with nearly each iteration his face has became younger, his hair less grey, and now their changing the voice!! That was kinda like the final nail in the coffin for me. I’m all about consistency and I just feels it’s been broken too much now for me to enjoy it. I honestly wish I didn’t feel that way but I do.

I’ll still be picking up MGSV though. Unless Snakes hair becomes fully coloured again and they put the eye patch on the wrong eye :P

28. viralshag

@Trig, If it gets more than a 5 or 6 in terms of reviews, I will still get it. I have no doubt I will miss old Sam but I’m not going to rule out liking new Sam.

MGS4 didn’t blow me away but that might have been because I missed 2 and 3 haha. MGS is one of my favourite games but after I expanded my tastes in gaming I just found I preferred other stealth games and even back in the day I thought the story of MGS was a little too WTF for me.

29. YoungZer0

@26: That sounds Fucking. Awesome.

30. PenTaFH

Actually, things could get turned around and Hayter could do the voicework after all. I’ve seen it twice before. Michael Ironside wasn’t planning to return for Splinter Cell: Conviction, but in the end the game shipped with his voice for Sam, and David Bateson was, at first, not even being considered to return as Agent 47 in Hitman: Absolution. In the end, Squenix came ’round and did hire him.

So, I’m still hoping Kojima comes to his senses about this. Snake not being voiced by David would make me sad.

31. Johnny Cullen

@Trig Apologies, I’m only getting round to seeing your comment now.

Truthfully, no. I should preface this by saying I loved Hayter in the past games and he is forever and ever part of the Metal Gear history. And as he said himself, he loves doing it and would step up to it in a heartbeat. And maybe someday, I’d love to see a return happen.

But it was time. Eventually, someone else was gonna have to play an older Big Boss. And Hayter just didn’t fit with the criteria Kojima had in mind. And I don’t mind. As I said above, and I say this with as much love for Hayter, it was just time for him to step aside.

@30 The impression I get from Kojima is, unlike IO Interactive or Ubisoft Montreal, he won’t change his mind so easily. Or at all. I don’t think that’s gonna happen. So best get used to someone else voicing Big Boss this time round.

32. penniman

Well, if anybody actually played Peace Walker other than me.. They would have realized that Hayter didn’t do the greatest job.. He sounded like a 90 year old with something in his throat the entire game and not youthful as he should have been. I am quite glad they chose another. I want Big Boss to have more character and emotion than he has in previous games, that is where I think the change was for the better..

#32 1 year ago