Battlefield 4 is about the human experience, war and geo-politics are backdrops

Tuesday, 2nd April 2013 15:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DICE GM Karl Magnus Troedsson has said war and “geo-politics” will be more of a background element to Battlefield 4′s story instead of the main focus.

Speaking with OXM, Troedsson said the shooter is more about “dramatic, human and believable” elements – something which was touched upon at GDC.

“While it made sound “cliché or [like] a bullet-point phrase, it’s something that the team are really living by,” he said, “as opposed to trying to tell a story solely about a huge war, geo-politics, what’s going on around the world.

“That will be there in the background, but that’s not what this game is about.”

For the first time in the series, BF4 will also contain elements of social persistence to increase re-play value.

Battlefield 4 is out this fall on Origin, PC, PS3, PS4 and Xbox 360. You can pre-order here for current-gen offerings.

1. hives

Funny. They think that all it takes is to have realistic faces.

I’m sceptical if it will be 20% of the experience Spec Ops The Line was.

2. OlderGamer

I kind was thinking Battlefield 4 will be all about the DLC.

3. bazyeirani

Best Games of 2013

4. DSB

@2 Haha, of course. It’s not a game OG, it’s an MMO. So it’s okay!

5. redwood

@2 that will be your experience, you human! :P
    I dunno why they do this, everyone knows they put more money and time on the multiplayer experience.

6. OlderGamer

There must be a significant % of buyers that don’t take the game online. I don’t even think I played BF3 sp campaign and I had over 300hours online with it. But there has to be at least some folks that don’t play online, so I think this PR bit is to impress them in someway.

7. redwood

@6 yup.. they are like “look we are still supporting the SP”

8. DSB

Whoever is running DICE’s PR has been barking up the wrong tree for quite a while now.

Leading up to BF3, all they could talk about was CoD. How they compared to CoD, and how CoD needed to catch up to them. It was like a proxy interview with John Riccitiellos inferiority complex.

I would be surprised if they were suddenly on target :P

9. sh4dow

Yeah right. If they actually won’t have some one-dimensional terrorist (or terrorist group) as enemies and won’t glorify the exceptional and heroic American military, you can call me Billy Bob.

10. SplatteredHouse

/headdesk
    This twaddle again? Heard it enough from Danger Close. It’s all fine and dandy to run with “principles” in EA, for as long as everybody else outside of EA agrees with the decisions you’ve made.

You never felt like a “lone wolf” before because your AI handlers and door prompts would never allow you to unless you were caught in the next setpiece.

“will instead contain elements which makes it feel connected to the rest of the game and how your friends are progressing.”
    For what purpose would my “dramatic, human and believable” soldier, be engulfed in a power/progress contest with his fellow colleagues in the line of duty? :/

God, this sounds like such total…

11. G1GAHURTZ

“That will be there in the background, but that’s not what this game is about.”

It’s obviously about saving the woman in the trailer…

12. Samoan Spider

Can I turn off the social stuff? If so great, if not, I will be buying and supporting you, but I’m using a crack too! I’ve said this before (and got shot down too) but if I’m playing a solo game, I’m doing it because I don’t want to interact with other people and I don’t give 2 shits about their progress in a single player game either. I can talk to them for that.

13. YoungZer0

“These social elements will make the single-player less of a “lone wolf experience,” Troedsson said, adding that while it’s “not co-op in the way that you’re still playing by yourself,” and will instead contain elements which makes it feel connected to the rest of the game and how your friends are progressing.”

Jesus fucking christ. It’s called ‘SINGLEPLAYER’ for A REASON! I don’t want any of that shit!

14. Fin

Polygon had a good opinion piece of BF4

15. OlderGamer

Was a good read Fin. A bit cynicle, but I can’t say I would disagree.

16. Tavarish

When Battlefield games came to be about SP experience instead of MP experience?

17. DSB

@13 Is it because the people who play it are not in a committed relationship?

18. ArithonUK

Battlefield is about MultiPlayer. EA have their heads up their Sim City development decision tunnel saying otherwise – but hey, they know a thing or two about ruining a franchise.
    They wax on with such BS as “eSports” but haven’t committed to anything – their track record being less than stellar.
    In BF3 we’ve got “BattleLog” the FaceBook for boastful homicidal maniacs, but no “spectator” mode in-game or BattleRecorder, no commander, four instead of seven player classes, no in-game communications – only an external one connected to your friends list. No LAN support, no Mod support, regenerative health – rendering the medic class obsolete, spawn on anyone not just squad-leader – another team play element eliminated. So BF3 was vastly inferior to BF2 in all aspects and BF4 promises worse. What percentage of the game budget was spent on unplayable cut-scenes for single-player campaign no fan of the original franchise even wants?
    What we want is BattleField 2 with polish. What we’ll get is Call of ADHD: Micro Transaction edition.

19. zinc

Bad Company was Kelly’s Hero’s, Battlefield is aiming to be Saving Private Ryan…

Yo, DICE! You ain’t no Spielberg! We wants splosions n shit!!

20. RocknRolla

A confirmation!!!!!! PS4 baby :D this fall al I needed :D

21. powerbuoy

I would guess you could simply go offline if you don’t want the “social aspect”. Unless they download and cache friends progress for use offline…

Edit: @1, +1 about Spec Ops. Great SP that.

22. RocknRolla

#19 you mad? :D

23. zinc

^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

24. SlayerGT

Why DON’T they make it co op? Seriously Onslaught, while just a “move to horde point, kill horde” mode, was really fun.

25. MadFingerz

I don’t really care about the emotional aspect but I do like the fact that they are incorporating some MP elements on SP. On that regard BF4 sounds more like BC2 than BF3, which should make for a better campaign.