Torment Tides of Numenera: first gameplay screen revealed

Monday, 1st April 2013 11:37 GMT By Dave Cook

Torment: Tides of Numenera has received its first work-in-progress gameplay screen, and developer inXile Entertainment has sent it across to VG247 for you all to check out.

The image is from an area called the Bloom, and InXile told us it was created using 2D pre-rendered background techniques. The Bloom itself is a sentient location which has the ability to reach across multiple realities using its living tendrils.

It’s a maze-like environment that hides many dangers, and has the power to transport adventurers away to other worlds in an instant. Traders who explore other realities and dimensions use the Bloom as a trading hub, where they exchange items from different worlds.

You may also remember the Bloom from this rather neat piece of concept art.

What do you think so far?

Meanwhile you can check out my interview with inXile’s Brian Fargo about adding Obsidian developer Chris Avellone to the Torment Kickstarter stretch goals, and my first interview with project director Kevin Saunders and creative lead Colin McComb on the game’s plot, gameplay, moral tides and more.

1. YoungZer0

I think I was hoping for something more ‘modern’, I guess.

2. Erthazus

Like DMC reboot with emo characters? Ahahaha.

Looks fantastic as it should be. 2d oldschool RPG look.

3. YoungZer0

No, I was wishing for DX11 with Tessellation, Multithreaded rendering, Input Assembler, Vertex Shader, Hull Shader, Domain Shader, Geometry Shader, Stream Output, Rasterizer, Pixel Shader, Output Merger and Compute shaders with a 2048×1536 resolution.

And in RGB.

I was hoping it would look like the last take on X-Com, at least have some 3D elements and look less like an outdated RPG. Right now all I do is trying to figure out what I’m looking at. The lighting doesn’t look too good either.

Just doesn’t look nearly as good as the artwork.

4. redwood

^ I am sure you were looking for a tech-demo than a game..

5. Tavarish

@3 Nice to see that people still have wild imagination and laughable expectations about software, game, that has seen first passes from art to renders and is still ~2 years away.

Do we see Dx11? Maybe, maybe not. Are we really far away from final product and final look of game? Yes.

6. heroes159

i was wondering Dave, where did u go last few days. site didn’t update for like 2 days

7. Tavarish

@6 What there has been to update? Easter kinda puts whole western world to vacation for couple days.

8. PC_PlayBoy

WTF man, this is a 600×337 SD image… Waits until VG247 get back to the fucking 21st century to view HD version.

9. DarkElfa

April fools?

10. Digital Bamboo

@8 Where did they go? Does Easter in the UK entail some sort of time travel that I’m not aware of?

11. dabus

Better resolution version:

12. zinc

This would look so much better on the PS4.

:-D

13. hives

It’s running on Unity engine. It’s the best engine for oldschool RPG games. Yup, it won’t look better, it won’t be “modern”, but if you expected “modern”, then well… These games aren’t for you :P (I mean, all of them, Project Eternity etc).

14. deathgaze

Doesn’t sound anything like Sigil.

15. YoungZer0

@4, 5: I’m guessing you two don’t spend much time on VG247? Because that was a joke only community members would understand.

@11: Still doesn’t look too good.

The problem I have with the shot is not that it’s not high end graphics, but that the style is too plain, the colors too washed out, the lighting is missing that extra something and there are no real highlights. It doesn’t really pop out.

The biggest problem however is the perspective. How does the structure even work?

Some things seems to be up yet a few feet further the structure seems to go down. Presumably you walk out of the blue cave and are already on the over-sized steps to the altar. A little bit to the left of the cave is a rather dark spot and it looks like you would fall down if you step on it.

I already had the same problem with the original artwork of that area. The perspective seemed odd and the walkways unpassable.

That’s why I was hoping it would be in 3D, allowing at least 4 different perspectives. Like X-Com. A 3D surface has to work and it wouldn’t look as odd as it does here.

If they want to stick to 2D, they need to fix it up and maybe add a few details and highlights.

Here’s a rough 2 min. work of making the image pop a little bit:

It might not what they intended for the art-direction, but I think it’s … well, more interesting to look at.

16. UuBuU

2D graphics, when done right, beat 3D graphics for an isometric game easily. Just look at how pretty Project Eternity will be.

Something does seem a bit off with this screenshot though. Maybe just the art style.

17. GwynbleiddiuM

If you think 2D graphics wont satisfy you, then you probably lost a lot on gaming. Even in recent history games like FTL, Hotline, Mark of the Ninja, etc brought back some of the mojo that was lost in the shadow of triple A nonsense. Games like Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity were 2 of my best RPG experiences in the last decade. Am I looking forward to this? Absolutely and as long as it plays nice and have a good story I’m fine with how the game looks.

And, the structure will work the same way Diablo, Diablo 2, Diablo 3, Divine and Beyond Divinity, Baldur’s Game 1 and 2, Icewind Dale games, Temple of Elemental Evil, Planescape: Torment and various other titles did. It’s an isometric RPG, works as intended.

18. YoungZer0

Putting words into my mouth, just so you can share your opinion about stuff no one asked about?

Cool!

I never said 2D graphics suck. Neither did I say that 3D is superior. FTL looks like utter shit. Probably would’ve looked like shit in 3D too.

Hotline looks fantastic. Mark of the Ninja does too. But Mark of the Ninja has high res handdrawn 2D animations and Hotline Miami has a fantastic retro pixel style.

I just expected it to look better. If I am not mistaken the new Shadowrun is 2D too but with 3D characters and the game looks amazing and much better than what we have here!

I don’t see the point of rendering everything in 2D if you mess up the perspective. I don’t see the point of rendering a character in 3D and then extract all those animations in 2D, just so you can have 2D sprites.

It has to be done with 2D in mind and make full use of the format.

19. Dave Cook

@6 Easter holidays dude, four day weekend :) we’re all back today.

20. heroes159

@ 20 oh.. i didn’t know about that. in my country(Sri Lanka) we don’t have Easter :D Hope you guys enjoyed the holidays :) & good to see you all are back :)