Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain trailer analysis

Thursday, 28th March 2013 09:03 GMT By Dave Cook

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain received its first full reveal trailer at GDC last night. It’s brimming with secrets and nods to what may happen next. VG247′s Dave Cook plays spot the tease.

In case you missed the trailer you should watch it here. It’s really stylish and features some ace music from Scottish troupe Garbage.

Right then, no faffing about, let’s get stuck in shall we?

Who’s lying with Kaz Miller and Big Boss?
Note that the nurses say that “He’s in a coma”, before Miller nods to Big Boss and asks “What about him?” Is he actually nodding to Big Boss or the person viewing the scene? If so, who is he? Who are the nurses talking about exactly?

Metal Gear Solid lore tells us that Big Boss was in a coma after a near-fatal accident, and while he was out cold Zero extracted his DNA to clone the perfect soldier, for fear that Snake wouldn’t ever wake up. It’s the Les Enfants Terribles project that eventually spawns Liquid Snake, Solid Snake and Solidus Snake.

But he does wake up from his coma, goes rogue, establishes a Militaires Sans Frontières base in Africa called ‘Outer Heaven’ and tries to take down Zero’s Patriots.

So now I’m stumped as to who the other person is. Moving on.

The Outer Heaven base from Peace Walker is dead

A saddened Snake looks on in anguish as the Militaires Sans Frontières base he – and you – worked so hard to stablish in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker burns at sea. This trailer shows plenty of scenes where troops – presumably from the mysterious ‘XOF’ force storm the base and shoot everyone in sight.

See?

This really does seem to be the downfall of Big Boss, going from an idealistic soldier without borders to the villain first seen in the MSX original Metal Gear. He’s out for revenge on The Patriots for shattering his empire and it’s all very exciting.

So then who is this guy and why does he want Big Boss dead?

That’s the big question isn’t it? Some say he’s Zero, which seems unlikely. Other say he’s the bandaged man – played by Keifer Sutherland in the hospital scenes – which would make more sense seeing as this guy looks all burned and disfigured. Does Big Boss or whoever the guy is escaping the hospital leave this guy for dead? Is this why he swears revenge on FOX and Big Boss.

I need to sit down.

That damn left arm

This confused me the first time I saw it last year, but if you look at this image here, you can see that Big Boss now has a prosthetic left arm.

This definitely is Big Boss, the same Snake we saw in Metal Gear Solid 3 due to all of the post-traumatic hospital imagery. We see Volgin, white petals, horses and even images of Snake in his MSF sneaking suit. This is where it all gets a tad confusing because duality is a key theme here. We have the “FOX vs XOF” tagline, the “From FOX two phantoms were born” sting as well. Who is leading the other side?

It’s clearly Big Boss, but what Miller said earlier has me very curious indeed. Who was he referring to?

Who? What? Arrgh!

Now who the hell is this? Psycho Mantis or some weird alternative. Maybe, but consider that Metal Gear Solid 5 will probably lead up to Big Boss going rogue in Africa and forming his Outer Heaven squad.

This looks like one of the original Metal Gear bosses ‘Fire Trooper’. Have a look here, they both have gas masks. Fire Trooper ends up being one of Big Bosses squad and is eventually killed by Solid Snake. But then again we have seen this person before, floating ominously in the background of the original Phantom Pain trailer.

Then we have this chap:

White hair, helping Snake, dressed a lot like a cowboy. This could be Ocelot as he starts to help Big Boss down his path of revenge against Zero and The Patriots. The pair have had a lot of history together and Ocelot does have great respect for Snake. Note the trenchcoat and the fact he’s riding a horse too. This could be the seeds of Outer Heaven.

Which leads me neatly to…

The start of the Outer Heaven uprising

Diamond Dogs was hinted at in this very early piece of recruitment art for Metal Gear Solid 5. Note the Rhodesian Ridgeback hound next to Big Boss. it’s native to Africa, which is where he established his new Outer Heaven base and fights back against the Patriots. This then leads to Operation Intrude N312 in 1995.

This is the first mission starring a young Solid Snake, under the guidance of Big Boss – although spoiler, Big Boss is the mastermind of the whole thing. Could Metal gear Solid 5 finally bring things full circle? Will we see a young Solid Snake taking on his ‘dad’ for the first time.

I need to sit down again.

For every single piece of Metal Gear Solid 5 information from now until launch, hit up my ‘All Access’ feed here for more secrets, images and awesome things.

1. loki

Posted in: PC facepalm
    vg247′s authors are total noobs. Game have two official platform: PS3 and Xbox 360. No PC, PC only in yours dreams

2. MichiM

Regarding the left arm: look at the last picture ;-)

3. locus2k1

I don’t think Miller is nodding to Snake/Big Boss when he says “what about him?”, I think he nods towards the camera, the nurses then have a silent, nervous glance towards the camera too. Snake/Big Boss, is the one in the coma in that scene, there mysterious third character is behind the camera/is in first person perspective

@2 yeah, red robo arm akin to Peace Walker dude’s (cant remember his name) prosthetic lighter hand :)

4. Dave Cook

@1 Have you got a source on that? Kojima said last night the game was running on PC. Show me proof that it’s not coming to PC and I’ll change it.

5. Beta

Loki is a confirmed troll Dave. I wouldn’t bother.

6. Dave Cook

@3 Nice. Edited :D I love raking through Kojima reveals. So much fun, like a meta-game in itself.

7. BULArmy

Is there somewhere I can read the whole MGS story in chronological order?
    Because it is confusing as hell and I have only played Sons of Liberty.

8. Erthazus

That guy is Ocelot, not Frank Jaeger. Look at his shoes and a coat.

Big Boss’s arm – Zadornov arm. http://images.wikia.com/metalgear/images/8/82/Zadornov.png

and he is not Big boss. He is something else. Even David hayter is not using a voice for him.

9. Dave Cook

@9 It looks nothing like Ocelot dude.

10. locus2k1

@6 aye, me and a couple of others sat down and were discussing theories about every little scene last night – right into the smallest of details as to why “XOF” are called XOF. the man knows how to drip feed the tiniest of details

“V is for…”

Anyone else get a Sons of Anarchy vibe towards the end? :D SAMCRO!

@7 try this http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

11. Erthazus

@9, He looks like Ocelot. Go to MGs Forums. Everyone is saying that he is Ocelot.
    It’s been 9 years and that is the year when Ocelot starts helping BB.

“David Hayter wasn’t asked back at all. He tweeted a confirmation last night. Someone else is voicing Snake this time.”

Exactly. That’s why this new hero can be another clone and not BB at all.

12. Dave Cook

“Go to MGS Forums. Everyone is saying that he is Ocelot.”

Then it must be true.

I’m not having a go at you and I’ll add in that it might be Ocelot, but I dunno man, I think the Africa connection with Frank Jaeger is more likely.

Do you think we’ll see Jaeger at all?

13. Bomba Luigi

I too think he looks a lot like Ocelot, and I didn’t really had a doubt about that. But I’m not Kojima, what do I know, everything is Possible ^^

But the Thing with Hayter is the most confusing. Why replace him? has Kojima somewhere explained that?

14. hives

The bald guy may be Volgin. He was burned, struck by lightning, but maybe he didn’t die?

15. Dave Cook

@14 Maybe, but I think it’d be too much of a stretch to bring him back, that said, anything’s possible.

16. Dave Cook

@Erth in fact man, do you have a link to the timeline so I can back that Ocelot ’9 years later thing up’. I’ll elaborate on it a bit more.

Cheers :)

17. hives

One more thing… Please help me out here.

Les Enfants Terribles happened 1972. Peace Walker is set in 1974. So how MGS V can be set after Peace Walker if it shows Snake in coma? I’m confused. Maybe it will be set before AND after PW? :P I didn’t play Peace Walker, I’m having trouble here.

18. Dave Cook

@17 Ow, my brain :’(

Well in Peace Walker you help Snake make his MSF base, which is shown being attacked in this trailer. It looks like Snake, Kaz and other people flee the base and their chopper crashes, which could leave Snake in his coma.

He wakes up 9 years later, goes to Africa to work with Diamond Dogs and then forms his new Outer Heaven to strike back at Zero for extracting his DNA for Les Enfents Terrible while in his coma.

I think this is correct, in case I’ve missed something. Guys?

19. hives

I thought so, but according to this http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Les_Enfants_Terribles_(event), Zero get his DNA before all that happened in Peace Walker.

Or I just can’t read? :P

20. aaron_avelino

that guy is obviously ocelot, just lookm at his get up. trench coat and cowboy boots? definitely good ol ocey…

21. Dave Cook

@1 it may have been retconned. Wouldn’t be the first time eh? :P

It’s all to play for tbh.

22. OmegaSlayer

The guy at the beginning is Master Miller imho.

23. Dave Cook

@22 yeah it is, but Miller refers to a third person we don’t see. It’s mysterious :D

24. scott_wright

Richard Doyle voiced Big Boss in MGS4, yes he might be older but his voice could have been effected by the crash and coma?

25. locus2k1

@19 & 21, Hmmm… IIRC There is something somewhere in PW that mentions LET… dammit I cannot remember where though. Still have my save on the PS3, I’ll go through the endings and secret tapes and see if I can find it.

26. MrSuperman215

So, whats the horn thing on Big Boss’ Head when he is on the motorcycle? So confused

27. GenericShooterSoldier

I’m suprised nobody has yet picked up on the whole Moby Dick theme, so let me. Ishmael is the narrator of Moby Dick and joins Captain Ahab on his boat after Ahab is injured – loses his leg. They band together to hunt down the white whale. What do i think this has to do with MGSV? Well for starters the obvious link is the character Ishmael who i believe is Gray Fox/Jaeger when he joins Big Boss. Captain Ahab is obviously Big Boss who similarly loses a limb and goes out for revenge on his helicopter against XOF and whoever else.

Now i think this will all lead into the story of Metal Gear considering the chronology. Ground zeroes is 10 days after peace walker and phantom pain 9 years later. That gets to about 1983. Metal gear was in 1995. I think its fair to say there will be a LOT happening in this game and i dont think its out of the question that we will play through that period.

(SPOILERS FOR ENDING OF MOBY DICK!!!!)
    Now if you know the ending of Moby Dick: Ahab and crew dies, Ishmael survives. This seems to link nicely with Snake killing Big Boss and destroying Outer Haven and Gray Fox surviving in the exoskeleton.

28. Dave Cook

@27 good lord what you’ve just described makes perfect sense and is awesome.

Kudos +1

29. Hirmetrium

Funny, I thought that was Amanda with the gas mask. Or it might be her saying “V has come to”. We already saw Chico, Amanda appearing would make sense.

30. GenericShooterSoldier

@28 Thanks Dave

31. aaron_avelino

what if we won’t be playing as snake in this game but instead we’ll be playing as the 3rd mysterious character that miller was referring to during the hospital scene?

32. aaron_avelino

@27 that’s a good one dude. you blew my head with that info :)

33. Dragon246

@Dave,
    First of all, sorry for that fanmade video, I posted it thinking that its the real deal. Now I feel bad for wasting my nights sleep and your time on that garbage :(

And, MGS5 has been confirmed for PS3 and 360, no PC.
    Watch the end credits.

34. GwynbleiddiuM

@Dave I can promise you the dude in the trench coat is Ocelot as Erth said. Also the gas masked dude cannot be Fire Trooper as he didn’t have psychic powers. As far as Frank Jaeger goes, MGSV would be a perfect place to bring him in, might as well be the Bandaged man.

@27 My thoughts exactly. /fistbump

@Erth I don’t know, since Akio Otsuka is the VA for Big Boss in Ground Zeroes trailer. So, the fact that David Hayter is absent proves nothing.

PS: BTW you can always consult me on Metal Gear stuff, I’m practically a walking/breathing Metal Gear encyclopedia. /confidence

35. Dave Cook

@34 thanks bud :) It may well be Ocelot, I have to explore all the possibilities.

36. RT8811

@27 I wish it was him. I thought the bandaged man was Jaeger/Grayfox when I saw the first Phantom Pain trailer.
    BUT It has to be Miller under the bandages. When Miller talks to the camera it’s Kiefer Sutherlands voice.

No idea what the heck that is sticking out of BB head…

37. Asbrand

For God sake, it can’t be Gray Fox. Why, you ask. First of all, guy is wearing trench coat, Fox never did. And other thing that support’s Ocelot theory is that Fox never had long hair, it was always short. He is on damn horse, look’s like freaking cowboy, and from what i can tell he is in his late 40′s. Can’t be Fox.

Edit: Some new stuff. If you look at this picture: http://24.media.tumblr.com/1f097bd3bf46c270dcecb56e4175679b/tumblr_mkcpyyP8FN1qgldwvo2_1280.png
    you can see that guy’s eye color is light, probobly blue, which is the same color of Ocelot’s eyes. I rest my case.

38. hives

Someone added more info to Big Boss’ bio on official MGS wiki. It’s all more clear right now after reading events from Snake Eater to PW and after.

39. GwynbleiddiuM

@36 So in 9 years time Miller evolves into Kiefer Sutherland? And I’m pretty sure he doesn’t need a facelift so the bandage theory on Miller wont work. Think about it, It’s a battle of FOX vs XOF, running on FOX Engine, there’s too much FOX in this and for Grey Fox not to be in it it’s absolutely impossible. :D

@37 Right, and of course the Mustache factor. Cowboy boots and Trench coat aside, nobody can ignore the mustache. No body grows a mustache like Ocelot.

EDIT: I thought I saw a remnant of mustache in the trailer, guess I was wrong about that, but still this guy is Ocelot.

40. Asbrand

Apsolutly :D

Edit for #39: You probably thinking about this: http://25.media.tumblr.com/80b0011ecf91f416006194ca9d1de695/tumblr_mkc3y7VNbO1ruu3fao1_1280.jpg

41. Dave Cook

@37 I dunno man, did you see me last Movember?

Actually nah, my moustache was wank compared to Ocelot’s

Carry on…

42. GenericShooterSoldier

@36 Looks like just shrapnel sticking out of his head but i would be suprised if Kojima’s stuck it in as a kind of symbolism to the darker route this game’s gonna take. Could be early portrayals of Big Boss turning into a villain hence the horned look. That could also be why Kojima has said so much about the taboo nature of the game in that we could actually be playing as the villain as he builds an army of child soldiers.

I’m still not convinced that Ishmael though is Gray Fox, it just doesnt seem to fit with the timeline and what we know already. Some reckon it could be Big Boss hallucinating, suffering from post traumatic stress disorder which eventually causes his madness and him to become a villain. This also fits well with the Moby Dick thing as Ahab suffered nightmares and hallucinations of the white whale..

And yep, the cowboy guy, has got to be Ocelot I reckon.

43. Clupula

I have absolutely no doubt that guy is Ocelot.

44. GwynbleiddiuM

@42 I thought at first it might be hallucination, but you see he doesn’t react to Big Boss’ hallucination of Volgin or the masked figure. If he was a hallucination, he’d react to it like, “what was that?” or “Did you see it too?” nope, no reaction. If that guy would be acting as Boss’ subconscious he would react to those sort of things. He can also be Roy Campbell. But it all boils down to the fact that when is the exact year that Big Boss is waking up from the coma.

Another thing is the Bandage itself, I think it’s a ruse. It might be someone that Big Boss might recognize if he sees his face, which is leading me to believe it’s either Campbell or Jaeger. He had interactions with them a long time ago, he might not recognize them by voice, but he’ll if he gets a good look at the face. This is my opinion, however I really want him to be Jaeger. :D

Also, if we’re going to see the Mozambican Civil War time period, we’ll definitely see Grey Fox in there. As it’ll be the third time they meet and this time Big Boss actually recruits him.

45. allftw

@42 It actually does kind of fit with the timeline. There is no mention of what Frank has been up to between events of Portable Ops (which I believe takes place in 1970) and him getting captured in Mozambican Civil War (which can be in 77 at the earliest and possibly during 80s). According to wiki all we know is that he was severely wounded during Portable Ops and later hospitalized. It is possible that he was kept in the same hospital with Big Boss and looked after him.

Given how it is assumed that Phantom Pain will take place in Africa. We may very well see him going there with BB, taking part in the Mozambican and Rhodesian Civil Wars (probably as part of Diamond Dogs) and meeting Naomi. The Moby Dick thing seems to make a lot of sense too.

About the horse guy, there is no doubt that he is Ocelot. The coat, the boots, his overall look and him riding a horse (much like his mother) all make it obvious.

Also about “V has come to.” That may very well be Amanda as 29 mentioned above. The accent seems appropriate enough and Amanda and other FSLN soldiers called BB “Vic Boss” in Peace Walker. Therefore “V” has come to.

Finally from what we’ve seen from the trailers Ground Zeroes part of the game takes place around late 74 – early 75 and Phantom Pain takes place 9 years after that around 83. So I doubt we will see Les Enfants Terribles happening in this game which took place in 72. I don’t think Kojima will retcon that since it is supposed to be the final straw that made BB leave the Patriots and in Peace Walker he already had his fallout with Zero. It would very odd if that got retconned.

46. Red Demon

Who is the third person that was in the hospital along with Snake and the other dude, while snake is going into comma? in the scene one of the guys said “what about him” and all the doctors seem to turn and look at him. I am a little confused.

47. Clupula

Hmmm…never played Portable Ops. Did Big Boss go into a coma at any point during that?

48. Dragon246

@Clupula,

49. Lengendaryboss

@46 There are many scenarios, A. Miller could be breaking the fourth wall as MGS famously does, B. People have got it into their heads its Solid Snake Miller’s worried about or C. Someone close to Big Boss.
    Anyway Theres a reason why David Hayter was dropped for the role of Big Boss, Kojima will be revealed within the week. Now i know that combined Ground Zeroes and TPP make MGS V but its been confirmed that these two could be split up like episodes.

50. GwynbleiddiuM

@46 That guy is Master Miller. as far as the third guy in the room, none of us have a clue.

51. Clupula

Well, if there’s no coma during Portable Ops and I know there’s no coma during Peacewalker, but there is a coma here, wouldn’t it seem that they are, indeed, retconning the years where the project happened?

52. Clupula

I don’t recall them even mentioning a coma in Peace Walker. I would assume if Big Boss had come out of one, that would have been something that Miller might have brought up, at least once, during the game.

53. Dragon246

@51,
    No need to do that. POps was set in 1970, and PW after that (1974), and during PW Big Boss built the Mother Base. Now, we dont know what happens from Mother Base to Outer Heaven (80s to 90s), which will be MGSV.
    I am excited to see how Big Boss transforms from a disillusioned hero to an antagonist.
    We may also see Miller getting murdered here, as was mentioned in PW epilogue, maybe that has a part to play in Big Boss transformation.

54. deathm00n

I need to read more about metal gear, last time I’ve read the timeline there was no Portable Ops or Peace Walker, I’m totally lost now…

Since I don’t own a PSP I can’t play them.

55. Clupula

@53 – No, Miller dies after MG2, which is WAAAAAAAAAAY after this game, since you do Codec conversations with Miller in MG2. It’s where Solid Snake knew him from. Didn’t you play MGS1? He’s killed by Liquid Snake!

@54 – You can play Peace Walker on PS3 if you get the HD Collection. That’s where I played. I’m actually a bit annoyed that they don’t have Portable Ops available where people can actually play it.

56. GwynbleiddiuM

@55 It’s because Kojima doesn’t really acknowledge the story of PO as a main chapter in the series, that’s why there’s no mention of it in Metal Gear Saga Volumes. I remember Kojima saying something about it in of their official podcasts that it was canon but not a main plot or chapter in the series (I checked the wikia page an it’s confirmed there too).

57. Dimaco

Ok guys, just in case somebody hadn’t got the whole Ground zeroes + The Phantom Pain thing (like I did), Kojima himself apparently posted a tip about it:

“Ground Zeroes” is a prologue of “MGSV”. 9 years after that event will be “The Phantom Pain”. MGSV is constructed w/ prologue and main game “TPP”. The game play demo I presented today is the opening of “TPP” which is tutorial that starts from crawling.

58. Lengendaryboss

@56 I am bummed to hear that as i enjoyed playing MGS Portable Ops on PSP and it wasn’t “A Hideo Kojima Game.” which meant the team did good without father Kojima looking over their shoulders. Now if we can just get a PS Vita Remake or new game for PS Vita (Or Both).

59. Dimaco

Plus, is what we’re seeing really running on current-gen hardware? I reckon reading the demo was running on a pc, but how will the console versions (btw, the only ones announced up to now) look like?
    I thought this might have been a great launch title for next gen consoles… and maybe the game itself would benefit from more powerful hardware, wouldn’t it?

60. GwynbleiddiuM

@59 As mentioned on Ground Zeroes debut trailer it was running on a PC with specs close to PS3′s. So, I don’t think it’ll suffer too much, but I’m sure it’ll suffer a bit.

61. Erthazus

It will look like that on consoles.

The only reason why it was demoed on the PC is because it is better to demonstrate stuff from a PC that offers 60 frames per second without any issue.

+ it’s GDC. GDC is about developers that are working on a PC.
    + Kojima didn’t want to be bias towards MS or Sony too. Imagine if Kojima decided to show a demo off 360 hardware. A lot of PS fanboys would be dissapointed and stuff. It’s marketing.

62. Deathitic

I’m 99% sure that the bandaged face guy is Miller.Why? After Kojima showed the trailer, he played the hospital chapter,then after the bandage guy comes to Big Boss, Big Boss asks him “who are you?” Then Bandage guy answers:”Who am i? I’m the guy who watched you for 9 years.”

And pay attention to Miller’s voice in the hospital when the doctors are working on Big Boss, the voice is still like the voice after Big Boss wakes up.;

Edit: And it is possible that the bandage guy is the third man at the hospital room.I guess, PLEASE HELP ME! My mind is blowing up right now.And sorry for my bad English,it’s not my native language.

63. Clupula

It doesn’t make sense for Miller to have turned into Kiefer Sutherland. I think the bandaged guy is either Grey Fox or a new character.

64. Deathitic

@Clupula

You may like this one:

Gray Fox in 1995, still has some bandage over his head, so i think you are right.The bandaged guys possibly is Fox.

Edit: I’m not sure if it’s related, i just thought it’s interesting.

Edit 2: I just understood something interesting from the last moment of the trailer where a woman says:”V has come to.”

I believe the woman who says this is a Russian and her accent is very close to Russian people,anyways, I think that “V” stands for Volgin.I know this is stupid and he died badly at MGS 3 but he may return.

65. RT8811

Why do people say it doesn’t make sense for Miller to turn into KS lol.
    Big Boss voice actor has changed why can’t Miller’s? It does sound like Kiefer voicing Miller in the hospital. Miller had to hide his identity while watching over BB in hospital and he doesn’t want to reveal himself just yet to BB for whatever reason… Maybe Miller was partly to blame for the incident in GZ. Still hope it’s just a similar voice and it’s Jaeger.

“V has come to” is just a saying like V has awoken. Like Big Boss/MGS5 has come out of it’s coma/deep sleep.

66. MadFingerz

This is all interesting stuff but I really don’t like the idea of an open world MGS…Fuck them jungles and swamps, I want interesting environments like Shadow Moses and Big Shell again.

btw, gas mask person’s hair looks like Meryl’s. Maybe that’s her mum…Maybe we’ll see Campbell again too.

67. Arkyfox

See the problem with the article is they are saying this coma is where they take Big Boss’s DNA. That’s incorrect. They did that in 1972. Please see http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/1970s

68. Dragon246

@Clupula,
    Yeah, got the years mixed up there, he died in 2005.
    Everything else I said stands though.

Although everything said, Kojima said they will do a FOX Engine Vita game, would love it to be a MGS game.
    All things said, this will probably be the last game with Big Boss beng the main hero, which would be a bit sad.

69. RT8811

Third man is Kojima. Fact.

70. buyme218

input this URL:

( h t t p : // w w w . b u y 2 m e . u s / )

you can find many cheap and high stuff

WE ACCEPT CREDIT CARD PAYMENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

71. Clupula

@65 – It most certainly does NOT sound like Sutherland voicing Miller. I only have one working ear and I can tell the difference in voices. Maybe you didn’t play enough Peace Walker to be able to tell.

72. Hellhound30x

BRING BACK DAVID HAYTER, SIGN THE PETITION!

73. Clupula

I’m as big a fan of Hayter’s voice as anyone, but I think posting the same thing in 7 different threads should count as spam.

74. Lengendaryboss

@73 Yeah but unlike most of the spammers its related to the topic and shows that he cares deeply for David Hayter as the voice of Snake.

75. Hellhound30x

@#74 Thanks man! I just want to show support bro. I’m really going to hate to play MGS without the legendary David Hayter… I can’t even begin to imagine it.

76. Maxen

The big mistake in this article is about Les enfants terribles. The children has already been borned before Peace walker that took place 1974. EVA tells Big Boss about it in peace walker.

Would love if David Hayter are like the last boss, and the character is Solid Snake and the Saga is completed :)

The third person in the hospital could be the MSF-soldier that survives the invasion of Mother base.

77. YoungZer0

Yeah, I think someone mentioned that already here. The Les Enfants Terribles project took place in 1972, two years before the events of Peace Walker.

78. YoungZer0

The Horn at the end really bothers me though. What the hell does it mean?

If I’m not mistaken, you can see that the main antagonist (The burning guy) also seems to have horns.

79. Dave Cook

@78 Is it a horn man? I thought it was too, but It looks like he’s had a metal plate implanted onto his skull after the coma and it’s just healed over. Hence the bandana-esque bandage in the Phantom Pain trailer hiding it.

80. Lengendaryboss

@78 Kojjma said it was something that got stuck on Big Boss’s head, i think he said large rocks, i am not sure. Look it up on the Keighly interview. The Volgin lookalike, this is most likely big boss dreaming, hullicination or actually happening, remember MGS 3 had a dream boss battle so anything is possible. Though I think we need more clarification on that part.

81. YoungZer0

@79: Naw, it definitely looks more organic, yet less skin-like.

@80: That sounds stupid and highly unlikely. If it was something small, why include it in the trailer?

82. Lengendaryboss

@81 Like i said i am not sure, but he did say it was something stuck there.