IDGA on GDC party controversy: “We regret that the IGDA was involved in this situation”

Thursday, 28th March 2013 21:19 GMT By Phil Owen

The International Game Developer Association issued a statement today regarding the GDC party they held this week in conjunction with YetiZen that led to the resignation of Brenda Romero from her co-chair position with the organization. That and comments from the IGDA executive director inside.

The statement, given to Gamasutra: “As many of you know, the IGDA was a co-presenter of the Yetizen party Tuesday evening. We recognize that some of the performers’ costumes at the party were inappropriate, and also some of the activities they peformed were not what we expected or approved. We regret that the IGDA was involved in this situation. We do not condone activities that objectify or demean women or any other group of people. One of the core values of the IGDA is encouraging inclusion and diversity. Obviously we need to be more vigilant in our efforts. We intend to be so in the future.”

At the IGDA’s annual meeting at GDC, executive director Kate Edwards fielded questions, and she had this to say about Romero and others who resigned today:

“We regret [their reactions]. We do hope that they continue to work with the IGDA, we’d hate to lose their participation. It’s their decision, but we continue to hope that they’ll work with us to do what we need to do to make better decisions in the future.

“We need them more than ever.”

Romero tweeted this in response to the news:

1. Fin

Can we all agree that the party was wrong, Brenda Romero was right, there is a problem with sexism in the industry, and women need to be involved more?

Or is that too divisive for you lot.

2. Clupula

@1 – I can agree that there is a problem with sexism in the industry and that women do need to be involved more. I was not at the party, so I can’t speak of whether or not it was right or wrong to have. I’ve been at some really bawdy parties in my time. If it was an official event, it probably should have been kept PG-rated. If it was just a bunch of people letting off steam in a non-work environment, I am more on the fence.

As for whether she was right to resign or not, as I said in the other thread, you solve nothing from your couch. You want to make a difference, you have to be on the front lines.

3. FeaturePreacher

I don’t agree there’s a problem with sexism in the industry. There is a problem however of ladies with psychological issues that are too easily offended at the site of ladies that are more attractive than they are. But I guess that’s a problem that can be solved by better parenting.

4. Gnosis

Everytime I read comments that tell the women “to stop making such a fuss”, I always have to think about pictures like this: http://humon.deviantart.com/art/The-New-Barmaid-302750467?q=gallery%3Ahumon%2F9478118&qo=94

Self explaining.

5. Clupula

@4 – That’s what it feels like onstage, sometimes. lol

6. Telepathic.Geometry

@FeaturePreacher: You are the problem.

7. Fin

His comment was too on the nose to be anything other than sarcasm/satire.

8. FeaturePreacher

I’m the problem? Sweet! That makes me feel like whipping out my sword and yelling “I have the power!!!” Oh, by the way, it wasn’t sarcastic.

9. Telepathic.Geometry

Yeah, you’re probably right. But ya get all types on here, so I could just about believe anything… (Edit: Heh, nice timing)

10. Gnosis

@6: No, just a pretty obvious troll. Not a very good one either.

11. FeaturePreacher

I’m not really a troll. I’m just not going along with the cliched story of victimization that some go with when faced with the presence of ladies that are more attractive than others. This whole situation seems a lot like how some female sports reporters manage not to fall apart when they see the scantily clad cheerleaders at sports events. Somehow they manage to just get on with reporting on the guys doing the sports. Perhaps they should be sought out for advice for all these other ladies with extremely fragile minds.

12. Fin

Perhaps you should stop being a cunt.

13. FeaturePreacher

Perhaps, but when there’s such riveting arguments like yours, it keeps me going.

14. Fin

Nah bro, I’m on your side! We should have semi-naked women everywhere in games, if women themselves complain, they’re just insecure. Who gives a fuck about their feelings anyway, amirite? I’m not saying games should be men only, but isn’t a woman’s proper place in the home and/or kitchen?

15. FeaturePreacher

Some semi-naked women should be in games like gta iv and most likely v. I’m sure they’ll be sold to a lot of women since they sell more copies than games like tomb raider. Who’s to say that some women don’t want that. While we’re on the topic of feelings, what about the feelings of the ladies who out of their own volition chose to do this job of being scantily clad. Where’s the sympathy for them who are just trying to do a job they willingly accepted to do? But like you said who gives a care about feelings, bro. I don’t think women should just be in the home or kitchen, but if they choose to do that, there is some nobility in caring for the place they reside and making sure that meals are nutritious and delectable. As for the complaints, they’re free to make them, but the industry should not stifle itself with pointless social programs just because a few less attractive ladies have issues with more attractive ones. Their going to have these problems no matter what the industry does.

16. DSB

It’s just hard to figure out whether people are offended by the fact that it was only women, or whether people are offended by sex in general.

It’s kinda hard to believe that people would just shrug this off if there had been scantily clad guys there as well, isn’t it?

There’s some kind of neo-puritan undercurrent there that just makes me not want to jump on that bandwagon.

17. FeaturePreacher

It’s not very hard to believe at all that people would just shrug this off it there had been scantily clad guys there. Just look at that pax that had the Lollipop chainsaw chick and that muscular destructoid guy that was completely bare chested. No one talked about sexism with the guy since most of the guys’ minds aren’t so fragile. But they made the Lollipop chainsaw chick change outfits because too much of her chest cleavage was being revealed.

18. DSB

@17 That’s my point though, it wouldn’t make a difference because it seems that gender is really being used as a proxy for sexualization.

Some people feel like it’s a perfectly good time, others are put off by it.

The problem with that is that you’re perfectly within your rights not to attend a party with sexual content if you’re offended by it, which would be an effective way of standing against it. But the idea from those opposing seems to be that “if I’m not going, neither should you”.

That’s where it jumps from a perfectly acceptable point of view, to wanting to tell other people how to feel and act.

19. FeaturePreacher

Oh. OK.

20. Richenbaum

Must be nice though, to be able to throw your job away without worry just to make a political point. Too bad most of the rest of us don’t have such options. I’ve seen worse things at jobs that I sure wish I could have quit over.

21. Phoenixblight

Not how IGDA works most members have actual jobs outside of this I know that the people that run the chapter out here either run their own studio or work for one.

22. G1GAHURTZ

I completely agree with FeaturePreacher that some women certainly do come across as having psychological issues when it comes to seeing sexism where there is none.

An obsession with finding offence where it doesn’t exist is an attribute more indicative of someone suffering from paranoid personality disorder, rather than someone with a balanced mind.

See this video for a detailed deconstruction of some of the more recent headline grabbing sexism claims: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJeX6F-Q63I

23. xxJPRACERxx

English is not my 1st language and because of that my sentences and wording are very basic and I can’t clearly explain my thoughts, but I 100% agree with you FeaturePreacher and DSB.

People that are easily offended want to control what other people can and can’t see. Instead of that I think they should seek a doctor because they suffer from hyper-sensitivity or something…

24. Cobra951

Stamp out the demeaning of fictional characters? If their sensibilities matter, then we need to ban more extreme acts against them first, like murder, dismemberment, and zombification. Once that censorship is in place, we can discuss banning sexism in the fictional workplace.

25. Richenbaum

@#21 Well in that case…sure why not.

26. roadkill

There’s a thing that bugs me about this though.. so many women and their tools complain and scream about gender inequality or w/e but they forget that the girls who came dancing at that party did that of their own accord. No one forced them. Girls in general do w/e for money. So anyway.. make up your minds women! What do you actually want? You never seem to know that. :)

edit: @3 Oh snap! Nailed it budy! :))

edit: @Preacher I’ve just read all your comments and Oh Snap again! :))

27. zinc

Erm, I doubt it was the scantily clad dancers that caused offence. It was probably how some of the men present were acting or commenting that caused offense.

But, hey, I wasn’t there so who knows right?

28. G1GAHURTZ

^ How did you manage to come to that conclusion?

29. roadkill

@27 You know this is the problem. We weren’t there. We don’t know all the details. e have no idea what happened. So why the f**k are arguing about this!?

30. buyme218

input this URL:

( h t t p : // w w w . b u y 2 m e . u s / )

you can find many cheap and high stuff

WE ACCEPT CREDIT CARD PAYMENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

31. PatrickBateman

@Preacher & fans, nothing I’ve seen here tells me you’ll have the intelligence to get to the end of this article, but I’ll post it anyway in the hope that there’s a glimmer of open-mindedness in there somewhere: http://bit.ly/YIfYih

32. G1GAHURTZ

^ Good job at being a condescending idiot.

How very ‘open minded’ of you…

…or not.

33. PatrickBateman

Did you read the article?

34. G1GAHURTZ

Are you just trying to see if your thinly veiled attempt at reverse psychology actually worked?

35. PatrickBateman

No, I’m really just wondering if you read the article.

36. G1GAHURTZ

Oh, very well…

Yes I did indeed read the article, Mr Bateman.

I may have responded to you in a more reasonable manner, but for your insulting comments…

37. FeaturePreacher

To shed more light on the situation, these are the offending ladies that caused such a unnecessary fuss.

Taken from this article:

I would like to bring attention to how the lady writing the article even states how they were dancing in a pg-13 manner.

38. Clupula

My god, with how everybody’s acting, at the very least, I expected bikinis or something. That’s not even anywhere close to being “scantily clad.”

39. zinc

I guess it’s hard for some guys to understand that a female professional in the gaming industry, who’s probably worked hard to get ahead, might be a little pissed off to see ladies used as cheap titillation.

To be honest they should stop using them, or at least employ some male go-go dancers. Then everyone can feel uncomfortable.

40. Clupula

@39 – Did you look at the outfits? How is that titillation? I see women dressed in less than that, walking down the street, on any given Spring day.

41. roadkill

@39 But they are not used. Not for titillation anyway. Not with those outfits. What Clupula said. Also they want to be there! :)

42. zinc

Well one definition of titillation is: To excite (another) pleasurably, superficially or erotically.

And really what else were the dancers there for? A lecture on Just Dance? Nothing game related I bet.

Just simple eye-candy.

43. Gnosis

@40: I think that the core problem is not how much skin they were showing. That’s what ppl keep saying. There’s nothing wrong with finding a woman sexy or a woman dressing herself in sexy outfits. It’s about the IDGA and what it stands for. They were the co-presenters of the party, on which one of their main guidelines was… well, “disregarded”. It was simply highly unprofessional and has nothing to do with gaming.

44. Clupula

Honestly, if it had been women in thongs grinding against poles, I might have seen this as highly inappropriate, but from what I’m seeing, it looks pretty innocent. At least, as far as a party for adults would go.

45. Da Man

Patrick Baitman, you’re lame. Your login is terrible too.

46. FeaturePreacher

Here’s some more info. Guess what!? The C.E.O. of yetizen is a lady named Sana Choudary.

Not only that, this is the 2nd time there’s been a nontreversy with this company.

47. Sini

I agree with @3

Also this is gaming industry, press and industry people need to stop justifying their lives by pretending it’s anything more than that and blowing things out of proportions. If there is a lifeboat call, you don’t get to be in one of the limited seats on it in the scheme of life. Brutal truth but there it is.

48. xxJPRACERxx

Ok, after thinking about this a little I think this was not a really good idea. But the way people react negatively about it is way, way too much.

49. gordon

Sana Choudary, CEO of YetiZen has released her official statement on the YetiZen IGDA GDC party. You can read it here:

YetiZen’s Official Statement

50. Clupula

“After our party last year Brenda Romero personally called us and threatened to ‘destroy YetiZen.’ She did not attend the party last year or this year.”

Very telling about Romero’s motives behind her behavior this year, if you ask me.

51. zinc

Oh the dancers were avid gamers? Explains why they were all female then. Nothing kills a party like sweaty moobs & neck beard :-S

52. Clupula

God forbid someone should actually want to have a good time at a party.

Especially a woman! Why, she should sit there with her shirt buttoned to the very top button and her hands gently folded in her lap, so as not to offend her betters. To allow her to let loose would be the height of sexism.

And I certainly hope her dress covers her ankles. There are no harlots in gaming!

53. xxJPRACERxx

Wow, I just read YetiZen’s Official Statement… Brenda Romero is a fucking bitch! I hope they sue her!