Company of Heroes 2 closed beta starts April 2

Thursday, 28th March 2013 14:09 GMT By Dave Cook

Company of Heroes 2 developer Relic Entertainment has detailed its multilayer closed beta, which kicks off April 2.

In a note sent to VG247 today, publisher Sega confirmed that the multiplayer beta would last two weeks and cover six of the game’s competitive maps, playable across 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 modes. Players can also level up to level 40 and customise their loud-out using the all new Army Customiser tool.

That’s all for now, but we’ll have more on the beta as it happens. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile we’ve got details of the Company of Heroes 2 release date slip here.

1. Tavarish

Two weeks for closed, multiplayer, beta? Sounds like a joke or they have a lot “blind” trust in theirs gameplay balance and game performance.

Edit: To me these “betas” sound nothing more than glorified demo’s with some back-end stress testing. Such a shame.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 they’ve been running beta with the fan community for many months already.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Tavarish

@2 Proof on that? I mean actual proof, not some rumor circling some forums. I don’t say its not true etc., but hard to believe that on face value alone.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 I met them at Eurogamer Expo last year. Their exhibit was manned by fans. Fans were playing it as I interviewed Relic, the guy from Relic told me fans had been playing it for months too.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dave Cook

@3 this interview – http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/23/company-of-heroes-2-interview-blood-on-the-eastern-front/

I asked them about balancing.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Tavarish

@4 Well that is more comforting that there has been involvement from others than just F&F / In-House Beta. I still can’t think this as beta, but instead just timed demo with “Beta!!!” -stamp slammed to its side so they fulfill what they promised.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Dave Cook

@6 Yeah I understand your concerns though, balancing is everything in these games. They have to get it dead-on essentially :)

Hope this helps somewhat.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Tavarish

Dave, is yours news wrong or is Polygon working from bad intel?

Quote from Polygon’s CoH 2 beta news; “An early access beta of Relic Entertainment’s strategy game, Company of Heroes 2, will go live April 21 for pre-order customers. A second beta phase for the public will roll out a few weeks afterwards.”

Link: http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/28/4156170/company-of-heroes-2-beta-phases-rolling-out-april-21

Edit: Polygon’s news strongly suggest that beta will be running way longer than just two weeks.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

@8 my source is Sega, they sent me a press release that said April 2. Bear in mind that maybe April 2 is for Europe and April 21 is for the States.

But yeah, our source is Sega, unless they’ve cocked it up. I’ll ask them for you.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Tavarish

@9 SEGA put official announcement out. Dave, you were right and Polygon was wrong. Kinda. 21st would line up with “open beta” phase, but they are also yet to fix theirs headline and actual news about beta and its phases.

#10 1 year ago