Activision shows off next-gen rendering tech at GDC

Thursday, 28th March 2013 05:50 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Don’t kid yourself; it will be a hell of a long time before we see this kind of thing in a Call of Duty or WarCraft game. Nevertheless, this rendering tech demo from the research and development team at Activision Blizzard is amazing stuff.

The tech demo below was shown off at GDC. This version is apparently running on a GeForce GTX 680, in DirectX 11, and works at up to 180FPS, while the real-time GDC demo was running off a two-year old laptop.

This is not supercomputer territory; this is feasible now, although like Nvidia’s recent Face Works demo, there’s no hair, and nothing else in the scene – there’s no way you could do this in a typical game.

Activision Blizzard technical director Jorge Jimenez wrote a blog post for those of us at home, saying the demo ‘represents the culmination of many years of work in photorealistic characters’.

“We will show how each detail is the secret for achieving reality. For us, the challenge goes beyond entertaining; it’s more about creating a medium for better expressing emotions, and reaching the feelings of the players,” he said.

Thanks, Shack.

1. Kuwabara

the uncanny valley similar to this once the mouth moves

I wish they could have used a female model with a decent attempt at getting the smile correct.

#1 1 year ago
  2. hives

I don’t want it. I don’t want to shoot faces like these in Call of Duty… Screw hyper-realism. Fortunately, it won’t look like this in games for now I guess.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Timurse

It makes no sense. It’s just a faceworks nvidia demo :-/ What should impress me?

#3 1 year ago
  4. anik_lc

Call of Duty 2013 or go to hell Activision.

#4 1 year ago
  5. sh4dow

@2: Which is why I’d love to see shooters like Doom, Prey and whatnot – where enemies aren’t human.
    Plus, I hate that semi-indoctrination found in most of those military shooters.

#5 1 year ago
  6. JG

This is for Destiny. Call of bootie might utilize though lol

#6 1 year ago
  7. Vice

Did they have to go with such an ugly jewish chick?….

#7 1 year ago
  8. Clupula

Wow, that’s a pretty vile statement right there.

#8 1 year ago
  9. theevilaires

I fucking want this so bad. I can’t wait until games start looking like this. This is the future. This is the right direction we’re suppose to be headed in for video games.

#9 1 year ago
  10. polygem

first of all @ vice: fuck off. just fuck off

i dont need superrealism in games. atm i am pumped for sly thieves in time. kinda cel shaded. in many cases i wish for a more clean and slick look in games. graphic/artdesignwise imho: halo > killzone, jak and daxter > uncharted, windwaker > twilight princess.

#10 1 year ago
  11. redwood

I don’t like vice, he can tell people’s religion just by looking at there cg versions..

#11 1 year ago
  12. DarkElfa

I’m rarely impressed by a video demo, but that impressed me. until I noticed the irregularities between the lips.

Like Vile, he should have kept his mouth shut.

BAM!