Telltale’s Fables adaptation detailed, will release beginning this summer

Wednesday, 27th March 2013 20:03 GMT By Phil Owen

We’ve known for a while that Telltale has the rights to make a game based on Bill Willingham’s Fables comic series, IGN today reports that Telltale has titled the project The Wolf Among Us. The game series will follow Bigby Wolf as he is exiled from the fantasy world to New York City. The first episode will release this summer on PC, Mac, Xbox 360 and PS3.

Also making appearances in the games will be Mr. Toad and the Three Little Pigs. It’ll take place before the main comic series, and will be an original story in the Fables universe.

“Developing The Wolf Among Us based on the Fables universe has allowed our studio to build upon all of the hallmarks of what makes our episodic series so engaging for players,” said Telltale CEO Dan Connors. “Through an evolution of our approach to choice and consequence, we can further explore the complexity of each and every iconic character in a universe rich with untold history from the darkest sides of the storybooks.”

So they’re sticking with the choice-based plot, I see. That cheers me up, for sure.

1. TheWulf

An adventure game series by Telltale based upon the Fables comic book series?! …what the hell is up with this week? It’s been kind of awesome. Duck Tales remake, Ecco successor, and now this.

FAO Game-making people: Can we have more weeks like this?

2. Moonwalker1982

This week has indeed been fucking awesome man. This, BF4 reveal, GTA V shots and so on.

Loving Telltale’s Walking Dead, will buy this for sure.

3. TheWulf

Huh. Yeah. It occurs to me that this week has been a blast for the mainstream, too.

So I guess it’s just been a good week all around.

So more weeks like this then, for all involved. I am certainly happy with how this week turned out.

4. Bomba Luigi

The Walking Dead was one of the Best Gaming Experiences I ever had. But I still can remember some other Telltale Games, not everything they doing turns out Great…

5. TheWulf

That’s a matter of taste. I think their only real tragedy was Jurassic Park, and that was due to outside interference. Their Sam & Max series and Tales of Monkey Island were pretty damned phenomenal. Both were a welcome return to the IPs, for me. Rather than, you know, the soulless desecration that usually happens.

These are people who actually care about the games they’re making, and for me, it’s something that’s always shown.

6. Moonwalker1982

Can’t forget about Back to the Future man, damn good too :)

7. YoungZer0

They should do a Hellblazer game.

8. TheWulf

Fair point. That series was actually really good. Plus, I loved seeing Doc better off at the end. And the sheer ridiculousness (in a good way) of how it ended just appealed to me. It was very, very true to the feel of BTTF. And the voice actor for McFly really wasn’t bad, either. Damn good soundalike.

Nothing but good things to say about that, really.

9. Gheritt White

Fables is pap, IMHO – it’s a relatively uninspired rip-off of The Sandman that got boring after it became apparent that Boy Blue and Little Red Riding Hood weren’t gonna hook up. It’s inferior to The Books Of Magic, even (again, IMHO).

Now, if Tell-Tale made an episodic game based on Preacher, Y: The Last Man or Ex Machina… *then* we’d be talking!!