‘Innovation isn’t driven by teraflops alone’: Jade Raymond calls for new concepts

Wednesday, 27th March 2013 11:45 GMT By Dave Cook

Ubisoft Toronto head Jade Raymond has stressed that visuals and next-gen power alone don’t account for innovation. New concepts are needed, and that is something developers should be thinking about now, regardless of what rig their games are running on.

Speaking with MCV, Raymond said, “As a gamer and developer I’m very excited about the promise of next-gen. That being said, innovation is not necessarily driven by teraflops alone.

“In my opinion, many of the most exciting new concepts lately have been driven out of the indie scene and have come to life on less powerful platforms. With Splinter Cell Blacklist, not only do I think that the team is delivering the best stealth experience of this generation, I also think that we are delivering a completely new multiplayer experience.

“Hopefully unique gameplay is still something that can make a game stand out.”

I said the exact same thing here in my appraisal of DICE’s Battlefield 4 reveal. It looks shiny, but does shiny alone make a good game? No, of course it doesn’t. Read here.

1. monkeygourmet

Assassins Creed series is a perfect example of innovation in gameplay, oh wait… no it’s not…

Splinter Cell Blacklist? lol

#1 1 year ago
  2. redwood

on this topic dave, I’ll take your word over jade’s anyday of the week.

#2 1 year ago
  3. theevilaires

^ Are you crazy thats Jade Raymond you fool. Anything she says is perfect. Your wish is my command Jade! Anything you speak I will listen.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Kalain

I’ve not really seen anything innovative in any of the so called ‘AAA’ releases in the last few years.

She is right in saying that the indies have made some fantastic, innovative games. Its a pity the larger studios can’t see this, and they are all using old, tired methods to continually feed the masses. Her Tomb Raider is a prime example of this, along with COD and the new BF4.

I don’t think we’re going to see any new innovative gameplay mechanics for the larger games, for sometime.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SameeR_Fisher

Splinter Cell Blacklist innovative ?!, you are kidding me ?!

Jade Raymond you are always full of bullshit.

#5 1 year ago
  6. datass

Ubisoft is master in destroying franchises, only a slightly better than EA…

#6 1 year ago
  7. redwood

@3 I am a jade Raymond athiest :D

#7 1 year ago
  8. salarta

Innovation is needed, but gimmicks are not. It’s very important to do the latter but not the former. Battle Tag certainly was not innovation in the video game industry considering it wasn’t even an actual video game, it was just laser tag that used the console to keep score. And Ubisoft showed that off at E3.

#8 1 year ago
  9. xxJPRACERxx

Go back to the kitchen and attend to your child Jade! ;)

#9 1 year ago
  10. OlderGamer

Really JPRACER!?

I mean really? I bet you even thought that was funny.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Gnosis

I was already positively surprised by the lack of the dim-witted and unfunny “kitchen” and “sandwich” comments. But there we are. World order restored, I guess…

#11 1 year ago
  12. zinc

@9, That was really stupid bro.

The kitchen is no place for a child to play in.

;-)

#12 1 year ago
  13. theevilaires

@7 WTF?

@9 and 12 How dare you talk about a living Goddess like her that way.

#13 1 year ago
  14. adge_uk

TFLOPS alone can equal more shiny, but technology is just the enabler. Look at this generation’s influx of zombies – why? Because you could have lots of characters on the screen, but the AI wasn’t quite there – so zombies were perfect. For next gen those TFLOPS will open up new gameplay dynamics, be it collapsing things, more varied enemies and behaviour, bigger worlds etc.

Sure, some publishers will put out prettier versions of what we have now, but with more power comes more options… And for the indies that extra clout will allow they to focus on their ideas rather than tuning code to get things running smoothly.

#14 1 year ago
  15. zinc

@13, ok stalker boy :-)

Question for you. You can only have one. Jade or PlayStation4?

#15 1 year ago
  16. Samoan Spider

On topic, what #14 says is my opinion on the subject too. Its not the be-all-and-end-all but it will help flesh out the worlds we play in more completely and realistically.

Off topic, as a hot blooded male I’m seriously willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and have done since she was the posterwoman for Ubi and AC1 ;)

#16 1 year ago
  17. salarta

@15: The only correct answer to that question is a JadeStation 4. Every game is Jade.

#17 1 year ago
  18. theevilaires

@15 Thats easy….Jade duh! I’ll still get to play my PS3 and have her ;)

#18 1 year ago
  19. xxJPRACERxx

@10 Yes I think that’s funny… You have a problem with that? You want to be in the kitchen too?

BTW, the ;) mean I was not serious…

But reading some of your posts I know you have problem with jokes so next time I’ll specify it in my post too.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Gnosis

@19: Ok, then I apologize.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Kuwabara

Jade i would love for you to work on a small indie type game, instead of AAA.

#21 1 year ago
  22. xxJPRACERxx

@20 I’m not sure if you’re serious but man, don’t apologize for that. I mean, it was not a personal attack… or was it??? :)

#22 1 year ago
  23. Gnosis

@22: Sure it was serious. I made a mistake and wrote something that might have offended you. Now I apologize.

#23 1 year ago
  24. xxJPRACERxx

@23 Ok, apologies accepted, but really that was not necessary!

#24 1 year ago
  25. a_matuha

Guess we’ll have to wait and see about Blacklist, but as for the Assassins Creed series #1 is totally right.

#25 1 year ago
  26. blackdreamhunk

I would have to agree with her.

#26 1 year ago
  27. TD_Monstrous69

I agree with her %100. But also, it wouldn’t kill them to actually make something that backs up their studio head’s demands. Because right now, Splinter Cell Blacklist isn’t it (or at least, doesn’t look like it).

#27 1 year ago