Battlefield 4 skipping Wii U to avoid risks, says DICE

Wednesday, 27th March 2013 10:51 GMT By Dave Cook

Battlefield 4 will not be coming to Nintendo’s Wii U console, DICE creative director Lars Gustavsson has confirmed.

Speaking with Videogamer, he explained, “I think overall for me as creative director, number one is to deliver a really great game and experience.

“Sometimes, at least for us, it’s focusing on what you do well and what you know well, and ensuring that you deliver something good than trying a bit too much, stretching yourself too thin and risking it. I’d rather play it safe, deliver something really good and then look at the future and what could possibly be done than trying a bit too hard and [failing].”

Ouch. Well, it’s heading to PS3, Xbox 360 and PC later this year, and last we heard more people own those anyway.

What do you think?

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. Hcw87

It’s a niche console which flopped hard in my eyes, so no surprise there. Nintendo will allways be about Mario, Zelda etc, with no major innovations, atleast hardware-wise.

#1 1 year ago
  2. OmegaSlayer

Smart decision and lot of PR speech.
    Investing money/resources to sell 20000 copies would be stupid.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Erthazus

WiiU failed. Failed hard. That’s the end of it no matter how much Zelda’s or Mario’s you are going to put in to that kitchen sink.

Game Over and that’s great. Less stupid junk in my room. I’m interested in Activision right now if they are going to skip WiiU with Call Of Duty. That is going to be interesting.

#3 1 year ago
  4. theevilaires

Another nail in the coffin…..damn thats sad. Nintendo get those fucking first party games out NOW!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Erthazus

Last gen 360 and PS3 are getting Bf4. Lol

A Platform without Battlefield 4 is a birthday party without a cake.

#5 1 year ago
  6. frostquake

I really wanted to buy a WiiU, but to be honest, I am very glad I didn’t, so far! I also wanted to buy the PS Vita and did not, and so far I am glad I didn’t buy that one either. So, the Christmas gift cards still sit in a drawer collecting dust. Probably will put them towards a PS4.
    I am sure Oldergamer will have thoughts on this article???

#6 1 year ago
  7. monkeygourmet

I can’t say im suprised.

saying that, the 360 / PS3 versions will be pretty awful so I don’t think it would play much better on Wii U.

This is def a game that will play to it’s full potential on PC and maybe PS4 / 720.

Wii U doesn’t need games it can’t handle. It needs unique games suited for the platform. It’s not powerful enough to do a multiplayer game like this justice, so it’s no big loss unless you literally went from owning a Wii exclusivly to owning a Wii U exclusivly…

And how many people out there did that? Almost zero, i’ll bet.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DuckNation

This is just sad for the Wii U

#8 1 year ago
  9. monkeygourmet

It’s sad for people who only own a Wii U for sure.

#9 1 year ago
  10. loveaya

DICE doesn’t want to waste any money.

#10 1 year ago
  11. frostquake

I would also like to know “WHERE ARE THE WII U GAMES?” I don’t mind exclusivity, as long as you have a robust line up, and a healthy roll out program.
    All Nintendo is doing is showing games that will come out when they are ready!
    That is like showing a starving person a whole meal and not letting them eat it, oh and by the way the meal is plastic! The person still starves to death!
    I hate to say this, and don’t wish to offend the Nintendo Fans, but either make a console that is for your Niche, and keep a steady stream of games coming out for it, OR…which I think it is Time, do like Sega, get out of the Console business, and like Sonic, make games for other Consoles.

#11 1 year ago
  12. monkeygourmet

I agree with this 100%, it’s like they suprised themselves when they released it?!

I mean, come on, they should have had a great game each month coming out for it. That way, by the time the PS4/720 comes out, it would have had 10-15 quality games.

Things like Pikmin 3 should have been out at launch (it started as a Wii game!!!).

They really need a great E3, the only way I can see them play it is:

Price Cut on PS4 launch,
    Huge range of great VC games and games like Mario Sunshine in HD
    Huge range of must have titles (need to bring out all the big guns)
    Lots of cool exclusives (Monolith’s X for example)

Things they shouldn’t do:

Show dual pad games… This would be the biggest fail ever, it’s hard enough selling 1 let alone 2 of them! ;)

#12 1 year ago
  13. OmegaSlayer

@9 It’s sad people bought a WiiU without seeing this coming from day 1.

#13 1 year ago
  14. SameeR_Fisher

let’s be honest here, are WiiU/Nintendo fans interested in BF or CoD or whatever ?!, I believe that the Nintendo fans got a taste of their own, they love fun games like Mario, Zelda, Metriod, ……….etc, those games really would push the platform forward.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DrDamn

@11 & 12
    Yep this is what the problem is for me right now. I got mine at launch with NSMBWU and Nintendoland. Since then I have bought 0 new games, not one. I would have had Rayman if they hadn’t delayed it, and I’m interested in Lego and vaguely in MH3U, but the way sales are going I know if I wait a bit those will be heavily discounted. Even stuff like Scribblenauts still hasn’t been released in the UK and that was a launch title elsewhere.

#15 1 year ago
  16. deathm00n

@12 Considering how well thought their decisions are now a days I guess they will chose to show dual pad games

Sorry, not trying to troll, just making people more happy with a little joke!

But I remember saying I was doubtful about how the WiiU would fare. It’s sad now that way more people are thinking it will flop. If it had good games and could play multiplat games I would buy one, the gameplay of ZombieU seems fantastic, but Nintendo launched the console way too late. Instead of buying a WiiU I’ve just got a gamer laptop for almost the same price.

#16 1 year ago
  17. The_Red

Now all eyes are on COD. IF that series skips Wii U, then Nintendo can kiss 3rd party support goodbye for good.

#17 1 year ago
  18. G1GAHURTZ

CoD is already on Wii U, believe it or not.

I’d like to see the sales numbers…

#18 1 year ago
  19. Ko-san

You people can’t honestly believe the things spewing from your mouths, can you? And if you haven’t bought any Wii U games, that’s your own fault.

#19 1 year ago
  20. monkeygourmet

lol,

Wii Play U packaged with a second pad and 10 mini games!?

That wouldn’t even be funny.

Maybe we will have a return of the hilarious ‘Vitality Sensor’?

That shit was unreal when they announced it, people were like: WTF?! :)

#20 1 year ago
  21. DrDamn

Got to think the sales numbers of CoD on WiiU are partly behind this decision too.

I’ve been getting more play out of older Wii games. I’d love to buy some games, but I want to see some good stuff which makes use of the gamepad – where is it?

#21 1 year ago
  22. Dragon246

@Ghz,

That is 3-4 times less than COD Vita, which for the turd that it was, sold above 700k.
    No wonder 3rd party are leaving WiiU, 3rd party software sales are pathetic on that.

#22 1 year ago
  23. OlderGamer

It is a mixed bag I think.

If I was EA, I wouldn’t publish BF4 on WiiU either.

I own Madden Football for the WiiU. It is hands down the best Madden game I have ever played. Not being biased. The game is great, here is a couple reasons why: NO DLC/everything is “In the game” as EA likes to say. The WiiU gamepad allows me to redirect WRs/RBs at the line of scrimige, not by picking predrawn routes, but by drawing my own. This means I can read the defense and exploit coverage. I can flood both RBs and a TE into a LB covered zone to create mismatches. Likewise I can alter ever deffensive player before the snap too. I can adjust coverage, call a double team, etc. I have so much freedom with my onfield strategy that it make football what it should be, a carefully thought out chess match with 250-350lb players.

No other football experience ever has even come close.

And next to no one plays the thing online.

I do. I GM a league with some friends and family. The game doesn’t play smothly online either. I see that as EAs fault not Nintendos, because Sonic Racing Transformed players just as smooth on WiiU as it does on XB360, and I know that because we have a copy of each in my house.

It is a classic catch 22. Without more units sold, no one wants to put their games on it. But without more games, it won’t sell more units.

I know a lot of you guys hate the system. But that isn’t down to the system itself. You don’t hate the hardware. Hell most of you never played it, and if you have only briefly. The system is very nice. But most of you don’t like it because it is from Nintendo. Same reason some of you bash Sony while others bash microsoft.

Personaly, I love the thing. But I wish I had purchased a 3DS XL first instead. Why? Just boils down to game selection. The 3DS has more games. Right now, tbh, some of the best gaming bits on the market are on handhelds. Both Vita and 3DS.

I am not selling my WiiU, and I am glad I own one. I will buy a 3DS and or Vita later on. I think this gen Wiiu will be more n64 then Wii. Been saying that all along, if you read more then the first paragraph. I never thought the WiiU would match or even get close to the Wiis numbers. I am not sure the other two platforms will either. I think the slow sales of 3DS, VITA, and WiiU speaking to a larger issue looming…the market has moved on. I can’t say for sure, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see both PS4 and XB sales to stagnat after launches too. Decent launch windows…sluggish post launch. Just like Vita, 3DS and WiiU did.

For fun, Wii sold 3million units during its launch window. WiiU sold 3.5milion. Like I said I think the market has shifted. I don’t think anything with a high price tag is going to move units to the mass market demographic. I think that is what we are seing now. 3DS took off with a price cut. If WiiU was sitting at 199usd right now(with a pack in) it would still be selling. Core fans bought Vita right up, then it hit a brick wall. I expect a 400usd+ PS4 to do the samething. And again the XB will have same problem.

The mass market people are using Cell Phones and Tablets. They think nothing of 350usd for a Galaxy3, but won’t spend one on a system that only plays video games. Most of them already have Wiis, XB360s, or PS3. I really don’t see them jumping on new systems. They won’t feel the need.

Am I making excuses? Sure, if you think I would then it prolly sounds like I am. But I don’t think so. I am not a company loyalist. I play games on Nintendo systems, I own them all cept 3DS. I also own all of the Sony systems cept Vita. All of the Atari ones, the Sega ones, the NEC ones, the SNK ones, etc etc.

Will WiiU bounce back?

Short answer is no. Not like people are expecting. It will never sell 100million+ units. But the outcome isn’t as black and white as people like to think either. Will Nintendo go under because of WiiU? No, they won’t. Become software only? I doubt it. However you might see some of their IPs crossing platfoms. Don’t read into that the way you are going to. I suspect you will also see Sony and Microsoft IPs doing the samething. Sony will bring PSN to PC and Mobile, I suspect. The same way MS will do with LIVE. The idea is going to be to get your brand(and that is what they each see their platform as…a brand) out in front of as many people as possible.

I think Nintendo will be just fine.

I also think that at some point we will reach a point when hardware doesn’t matter. You will get Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony games on the same platforms…maybe on some glorified SteamBox style thing. Who knows. Remeber peopel saying this will be the last hardware generational cycle? I still believe that.

I think to some degree much of the market will walk away form dedicated gaming. I think they have already started, more people use their ps360s to Netflix then actualy play games. Those people aren’t going to spend 400usd or more on a new system, they already have a Netflix player that can play games too. 2 years from now we are likly to be pondering why the ps360s won’t go away.

Time will tell.

That is my ussual TL:DR answer.

#23 1 year ago
  24. mistermogul

This is sad and it’s a shame to see Nintendo being ignored again by 3rd parties but they have only bought it on themselves.

They choose their own path with under-powered tech and are always too late to the party.

In 5 years time I’m sure I’ll have loads of great 1st party games on my WiiU but doubt there’ll be many 3rd party games and that won’t be from a lack of me wanting them…

#24 1 year ago
  25. stockops3

Poor Wii u I really want it to do well =( I mean it has a brilliant line up from monster hunter 3, Bayonetta, X (Monolith), SMT x Fire Emblem, wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2. It isn’t short of games, but not many are coming out in its first year for consumers to see a significate purchase,until a price drop or faster releasing games, The Wii u’s first year is looking dire =(

#25 1 year ago
  26. Lengendaryboss

I love excuses Developers/Publishers use to avoid developing for the Wii U :)

#26 1 year ago
  27. mistermogul

@26 – Yeah we can’t develop our latest game for WiiU as our development schedule is not quite in line with the cosmic energy around Jupiter!

#27 1 year ago
  28. OmegaSlayer

@24 It’s sad that Nintendo didn’t realized what kind of turd they were releasing.
    Wii was another turd and they just were lucky that a lot of people not related to videogames, like grannys, bought it.
    But Wii had what? 10 good games overall?

#28 1 year ago
  29. deathm00n

@26 There is no excuses, there is facts. WiiU isn’t selling well, a big company like EA sees that and avoid wasting manpower and money to convert a game for a console that doesn’t have even 1/5 (numbers out of my ass) of the sales compared to the other ones.

Like someone said above it’s the classic situation of “We wont do games for it unless it sells more” “We wont buy it because there are no games”.

If I was a developer I would avoid WiiU unless had more ways of revenue. But EA are greedy, they don’t want to lose money to see if something will work, they only invest in what have a guarantee of payback

#29 1 year ago
  30. mistermogul

@28 – Yeah you’re right they got a bit lucky with the granny’s!

Thing is I never really liked the Wii that much. It had some good games but even they were let down (for me anyway) by the motion controls. Mario Galaxy, Zelda etc etc, I would have preferred traditional controls or even the Wii U gamepad, so in that respect I much prefer WiiU already, even though there’s hardly any games for it!! lol

#30 1 year ago
  31. G1GAHURTZ

@22:

Woah!

That’s abysmal.

If the Wii U can’t even sell CoD, then maybe it’s in a much worse state than I thought!

…and I thought it was preeeeeeetty bad.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Lengendaryboss

@29 I meant the excuses they use to avoid developing for the Wii U, they don’t bluntly say its not selling well so lets avoid it that would damage the relationship with Nintendo. The facts you mentioned which is common knowledge, unfortunately. Publishers are in it for the money and unless its a causal title it won’t sell well on Wii U leading to less/no third party support.

#32 1 year ago
  33. deathm00n

I know a lot of people don’t take VGChartz seriously, but here’s the proof the sales of games aren’t good. Hope they were but they are not.

@32 Sorry, because of my bad english I can’t understand what your point is… From what I understand you agree with me?

#33 1 year ago
  34. Lengendaryboss

@33 Yes i do agree with you.

#34 1 year ago
  35. monkees19

The Wii U will be fine once they have some games out for it. Activision release CoD for Wii except for what MW2? Not that they were any good, but they still did. The point is, people will buy the system, just like any other, for the exclusives. I have a Wii U for the Zeldas and Marios that will be out. I have a PS3 for the God of Wars and Uncharteds and I have my 360 for the Halos and Forzas.[Just as examples, that's not all I have them for!]

It’s always a catch 22. PSN is free but XBL is waaay better. PS All Stars is good, but it’s no Smash Bros. You can’t win. Everyone is right, but everyone is wrong. It’s all preference. Once more games come out it will be fine. The 3DS started out rough, until games came out.

Like any fanboy says to another: Haters gonna hate.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Talfrost

@33 That site you linked is literal garbage . The Japanese sales numbers on monster hunter are way off and it says madden 2013 is released in the year 2020 , just 2 of the near infinite mistakes on it. For those who say the system is under powered you should really learn the specs of it because it’s a beast . I can’t begin to explain how many people hate the system for no reason other than it’s nintendo since they know almost nothing about the wii or wii U and probably couldn’t name any of the great features that they have. My last point is that 99.9% of the issues that do exist with it’s games are thanks to lazy 3rd party developers who just want ypur money and for you to pay $120 for a game due to DLC that is only unlocked on the disk (yes you are paying for something you bought , DLC is not new content). To be fair I think they need to have a good E3 this year which I can guarantee they will.

#36 1 year ago