Sony cares about developers, Sony VP says

Tuesday, 26th March 2013 17:47 GMT By Phil Owen

At GDC this week, Gamesindustry International spoke with SCEA’s vice president of developer and publisher relations Adam Boyes about, well, developer relations. He says Sony is trying to be more empathetic these days. “It’s talking to them directly, it’s listening to them, it’s caring about what they have to say, and then it’s actually taking that feedback and applying it to improving things.”

He also said that talking with the developers is a sort of focus test for them, as they try to use the feedback they get to improve their processes to be even more developer-friendly. One specific thing they’re doing, to that end, is waiving patch fees in some cases.

“Our publicized policy is that you have to pay patch fees in order to patch the content but the reality of it is, especially for independent developers, we don’t charge that for them. We have not in the last three years in our territory. It’s really important for us to work with them to make sure it’s as easy as possible for them to get the content out there, especially if it’s a fix for a game breaking bug.”

Remember when Fez wouldn’t be patched because the developers didn’t want to pay Microsoft’s allegedly exorbitant fees? Yeah, Sony apparently is trying to avoid that scenario.

1. lexph3re

UGH! MY EYES! THAT LOGO IS TOO BIG!

2. deathm00n

@1 I agree haha. Getting sick of this logo, sony could change it a little bit. My cellphone has this, my tv has this, my earphone has this and my console has this.

Back to the news: Then why do they talk about patch fees if they aren’t charging for it? Am I the only who find this weird? I’ve heard PS3 had so many unfixed problems with Skyrim because of how much they were charged to fix them…

3. No_PUDding

Thats special.

Gotta say, I commented about this a few days ago, asking if they might make certification processes a little less stringent.

I think on the Unity article.

4. NightCrawler1970

Is the CEO of Sony read all the messages that been posted on Playstation forum?

wow.. im impressed

5. Erthazus

Yeap but you Sony, don’t care about your consumers.

SCHWING!