Ecco the Dolphin spiritual successor The Big Blue hits Kickstarter

Monday, 25th March 2013 15:10 GMT By Dave Cook

Ecco the Dolphin never got another outing after the rather brilliant Defender of the Future on Dreamcast and PS2. However, the creators of the original games have formed a Kickstarter campaign to make a spiritual sequel called The Big Blue.

Headed up by Ecco the Dolphin creator Ed Annunziata, The Big Blue needs to raise $665,000 in 34 days to become reality. You can check out the game’s Kickstarter hub here.

The game will deal with climate change, mass extinction, evolution, artificial life and proposes the Gaia theory – the idea that the Earth itself is a living being. Humans become extinct and the oceans become the world’s new population mass.

You’ll control a dolphin again, but this time your songs will have the ability to form life. It’s all starting to sound very deep, much like the original games, that spanned time, space and alternate realities.

The team has released an early prototype of the game here.

The Big Blue will launch on Earth Day 2014, April 22 for Mac, Windows, and iOS and Android devices, including Ouya. The team will then speak with Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony about console ports.

What do you think?

1. TheWulf

What?

What?!?

This is a thing? This is actually a thing?!

#1 1 year ago
  2. The_Red

I never understood why some people hate Ecco the Dolphin games. Second one (Tides of Time) is one of the best 16-bit games I’ve ever played. This title looks promising. Let’s hope they can get to the target and use the money to make the sequel Ecco 2 deserved (Didn’t play DC reboot more than a few minutes).

#2 1 year ago
  3. TheWulf

The “problem” with the Ecco games is that they were time-consuming and thought-provoking, to a degree, even philosophical in the later entries. They were also about mostly serene exploration, filled with some action stuffs and some get-out-alive bits here and there.

Also, the gamey bits of the Dreamcast version were as hard as frickin’ nails. So that might have turned a lot of people off that version, I dunno.

Ultimately, they were experiences I thoroughly enjoyed. They might be niche experiences, but I wouldn’t give them up. There’s really nothing else out there that’s quite like it, and I have some very vivid memories from the Ecco games. With most games, you can say X is like Y, but with Ecco… that’s damn near impossible.

Cherished games, those were. But I can understand why not everyone would like them, they’re a more cerebral affair than most things are. And they demand more from their player than most games do.

#3 1 year ago
  4. TheWulf

And they’ve managed to completely sell me on their prototype. It’s incredibly beautiful.

#4 1 year ago
  5. The_Red

Well said. Also glad to see you loved them and their themes.

#5 1 year ago
  6. TheWulf

Muchly so. They were incredibly unique at the time. It was the kind of thing you’d boot up as a younger, have absolutely no idea what you were doing for a time (swimming around in a multidirectional space, and with no platforms to boot) before shortly falling completely in love with.

Ecco was a very eccentric endeavour, but in a good way. Eccentric like Tom Baker’s Doctor Who. The lore was intricate and memorable, and also very strange. It was the kind of thing that had me sat on the edge of my seat, completely enthralled by the goings-on. It was all a big mystery, both in the game’s design and the Universe presented there itself.

It was very much about exploration and wonder. Again, I recognise it was incredibly difficult in place (perhaps too much so for some), but that didn’t make it a bad game. To the contrary, somehow it made me appreciate their plight all the more. It helped to open my mind up to different kinds of plots and games from a very young age.

To be honest, I’d almost consider it essential gaming if you were to ever introduce your kids to games. And they’ve aged well, because they’re all still quite beautiful. Pull up any video of Ecco and it still looks good. That’s something I miss about videogames — games not just of exploration, but of mystery and wonder. Really romantic games.

We don’t seem to get a lot of that any more, do we? Every now and then, but it’s not common. But then, Ecco was hardly common back in the day. I tend to think of Ecco as being a cousin to other, similarly esoteric games I had much love for, games which had an illusive quality to them. Like the Myst games and so on.

#6 1 year ago
  7. monkeygourmet

I would love this on Wii U, but what I really want is ‘Endless Ocean 3′ :/

#7 1 year ago
  8. OlderGamer

Long over due if ya ask me. This should be a full blown console game, and WiiU would make a great choice.

#8 1 year ago