Bayonetta 2 Wii U exclusivity was only way it could happen, says Kamiya

Monday, 25th March 2013 15:19 GMT By Dave Cook

Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive and that has a lot of people pissed off. So whenever I see people complaining I can’t stop myself from telling them that Sony and Microsoft didn’t want it on their formats. Nintendo saved Bayonetta 2. Platinum head Hideki Kamiya has once again stressed that fact to make sure you understand.

Kamiya tweeted the above earlier today, when asked whose idea it was to make the game Wii U exclusive. As you can see, it wasn’t anyone’s idea, it was the team’s only option.

So you all understand now yes? Platinum aren’t dicks and Nintendo aren’t being selfish and keeping them game for themselves.

We can hope that once Sony and Microsoft see the final product they’ll reconsider their decision and welcome Bayonetta 2 with open arms.

Thanks Nintendo Life.

1. Dragon246

I see absolutely no problems with this. Ninty paid for the exclusivity and they got it.
    However I am definitely surprised seeing Sega involved in this (in consultancy role). It just may be a timed exclusive, but I wont be holding my breath.

#1 1 year ago
  2. mreko3230

I don’t know. It still sounds weird. Why would Sony and Microsoft say “NO, you’re game sucks. We don’t want it.” All the crap games that are released on both consoles and a game that sold well over 2 million copies is somehow shunned? Hell, Sony and Microsoft evidently wanted “Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear” on their console. I’m glad it was made because I was a fan of the original and maybe it was the only way it was ever going to be released, but I’m not buying a Wii U to play one game.

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

@2: Nintendo doesn’t just release it on their console, the publish it! They gave Platinum Games money so that they could make the game. So of course its exclusive.

And given platinum games track record of poor sale numbers, it’s no wonder neither Sony or Microsoft were interested in feeding them with money.

#3 1 year ago
  4. monkeygourmet

Wii U needs this, and more like it.

I wish they could have signed another deal to get a Killer 7 sequel aswell.

Kinda like they did with the ‘Capcom 5′ on Gamecube.

If they had announced a ‘Capcom 5 for Wii U’, well… That would have been tits.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dave Cook

@4 “If they had announced a ‘Capcom 5 for Wii U’, well… That would have been tits.”

Good lord yes.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dark

I just hope it sells well , or it will be the end.

#6 1 year ago
  7. loveaya

I can’t stop laughing

#7 1 year ago
  8. DiodeX

Its a shame their games don’t sell, Bayonetta and Vanquish were the sleeper games for this Gen for me.

#8 1 year ago
  9. polygem

killer 7 blew me away

#9 1 year ago
  10. monkeygourmet

Sometimes, as many people have pointed out;

I can’t understand what Nintendo is actually upto with their huge cash reserves?

They could surely throw a bit of that money to fund another Capcom 5 and then maybe make Animal Crossing U / Pokemon U (aswell as Pokemon Skylanders or what ever thats called) and that would be the generation won! :)

#10 1 year ago
  11. monkeygourmet

I would 100% pay for a HD remake on Wii U, it would be the perfect fit and the cell shaded graphics in HD would look insane.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Kabby

Platinum are a very good studio. Their games just don’t appeal to today’s mainstream.

#12 1 year ago
  13. polygem

don´t say things like that…i already start to regret trading that thing in.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Dragon246

@2,
    You have got it backwards mate. If a 3rd party pub got this, then it would have been a multi-platform game, but since no pub except ninty was interested in this, it will be a wiiu exclusive. You cant expect ninty to release games on ps3 and 360, plain and simple.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Fin

I think a 39-character tweet from a non-native english speaker, with no context, is hardly proof of anything.

Platinum might not have pitched elsewhere.
    They might have had a pre-existing agreement with Nintendo.
    Nintendo might have approached them to make it exclusive.

This means nothing.

#15 1 year ago
  16. OmegaSlayer

Platinum is between the devs working on PS4 games.
    My bet is that Sony and Microsoft refused the title for this gen and asked it for the next gen, while Ninty gibbed it for this gen.
    Once again, publishing doesn’t mean anything.
    The same thing can have a gozillion publishers.
    IP property is what matters and the IP is property of Sega.
    Funding doesn’t mean anything either.
    Microsoft funded GTA IV DLCs and Mass Effect and Ninja Gaiden 2 and they jumped ship anyway.
    Bayonetta 2 is not exclusive and Kamiya is just trolling everyone with PR speech.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Dragon246

@16,
    Oh shit. You are right. Sega owns Bayonetta 100%, just checked-
    I frankly never knew. Thought Platinum at least owned a part of it.

Ninty must have spent A LOT for this if its a permanent exclusive. I am now pretty confident its more like a Mass Effect case. 3rd party exclusives are pretty much a non-existent species right now.

#17 1 year ago
  18. lexph3re

I hated the first one. But, if the second fixes what I was annoyed with the first one with then I will consider picking it up on the wii u eventually. But surely is not a system seller for me.

#18 1 year ago
  19. TraceableX

@Kabby
    Nailed it.

#19 1 year ago
  20. salarta

I always find the people that complain about Bayonetta 2 being on Wii U to be utterly ridiculous. They act like the team had their pick of any company in the world to publish their game, while also deigning themselves as a better judge of what to do with the franchise than the person that created the franchise in the first place.

It would make far, far more sense for these people whining about Bayonetta 2 being a Wii U exclusive to focus their anger at Sega if any company at all. It was Sega that turned down continuing the franchise themselves (alongside tons of others that were actually making them not suck anymore), and it was Sega that suggested Platinum Games pursue Nintendo for getting a sequel up and running.

#20 1 year ago
  21. TheDarkWeapon

I’ll buy it if it comes out on 360 or PC… I just don’t want / need a Wii U.

#21 1 year ago
  22. ActionGameKing

@17 The truth is almost all developers have zero rights over the IPs they develop.

Recent eg. Ubisoft delayed the finished version of WiiU’s Rayman Legends, and there was nothing the development team could do about it.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Dragon246

@22,
    I know that. I just didn’t think that Ninty would spend moolah on a third party exclusive. Those are very very costly (easily in millions). That is why I thought its the case of Platnium owning the IP and making a Ninty exclusive because Ninty is paying up. Now Segas inclusion makes sense.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Lengendaryboss

Isn’t this common knowledge by now, yet people feel the need to keep complaining to this cocky guy (Sorry my opinion). Its the only option we get it and when this hardcore game doesn’t sell to well on Wii U, it is possible to port to other platforms. Microsoft published Ninja Gaiden, so an enchanced version of bayonetta 2 isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Dragon246

@24,
    I don’t think sales will matter. Think Mass Effect. Published by MS on 360, now available on both PC and ps3.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Dave Cook

@24 yep, very common knowledge. Yet people still give Platinum and Nintendo shit for it. Madness.

#26 1 year ago
  27. NeoSquall

I do understand Nintendo was the only publisher with enough balls to fund a Bayonetta sequel, but it won’t stop me from being pissed about the game being Wii U exclusive.

#27 1 year ago
  28. theevilaires

There is no way this game is staying exclusive to a console that isn’t selling well. I didn’t play the first one so I’m not stressing about this one either.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Lengendaryboss

@ Dave i can understand why they feel that way, but i rather have the game exist on a platform i don’t own, then not exist at all.
    @27 I can understand it from your point of view, got the prequel can’t play the sequel. I felt the same way GTA 4 DLC took long to get to PS3 not necessarily the same situation but i was pissed but patient.

#29 1 year ago
  30. polygem

i really liked the first one. technically it was brilliant. a bit too japanese cheesy for some probably but in the gameplay department it really is an awesome game, almost flawless tbh. platinum did a great job and proved yet again that they are one of the best studios in the biz. it´s good for nintendo to have this game on their platform. if people really must play it: buy a wiiu. support nintendo. support platinum. support bayonetta as a franchise. there are lots of other great games to enjoy on that platform too. if you don´t want to do that. totally fine. there are lots of other great games of this genre on the ps360. just stop complaining please.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Wychodzew

Yeah, whatever Platinum. Now bring Vanquish and Rising to PC.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Just-Joe

Didn’t Kamiya also say it was up to Nintendo if the game was to go miltiplat?

#32 1 year ago
  33. Lengendaryboss

@32 By Multiplatform i think he either meant other Nintendo platforms or reaching a deal to release it on PS3 or Xbox360.

#33 1 year ago
  34. elem187

@ #24, How would you port an “enhanced” version of Bayonetta 2 to an inferior machine? I’m sorry but the GPU the 360 is several times slower than the modern GPU in the Wii U… You would have to downport Bayo2 to sub-HD resolutions just to have a shot at running it on the PS360 hardware. Most Wii U ports run locked at 720p, while those same games run at sub-HD resolutions on the ps360.

#34 1 year ago
  35. Dragon246

@Dave,
    You have to understand internet likes hating :D
    If you are die-hard fan of Bayonetta and cant wait, buy WiiU and play B2. If you want to wait for it to arrive on your console of choice, then do that and tell devs that they should bring it to your platform (that works, companies gauge interest using internet, so asking for it is never bad), but flaming certainly wont help matters.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Lengendaryboss

@34 Ok then port an enchanced version of Bayonetta 2 to superior hardware like PS4 and Xbox720 (PC Is more than capable of handling it), you know the hardware that will replace/outpower the Wii U before 2014. BTW i wouldn’t port it so phrase your words carefully.

#36 1 year ago
  37. YoungZer0

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Deal. With. It.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Unlimax

Nintendo Bought Bayonetta 2 exclusivity for a reason and i think everyone notice that !

Nintendo wants to put Bayonetta character on the next Super smash Bros game in anyway whatever the cost is … That’s what they want from the beginning and i’m sure about .

#38 1 year ago
  39. Hellhound30x

Bayonetta has sold almost 2 million units. Thats nothing to scoff at. Its no Call of Duty, but it does hold its own considering its a new franchise.
    The game sold 1.35 million units worldwide by March 31, 2010 almost a year after its release date…
    Its got a hardcore following. I know I’m buying a wii u just for Bayo 2… yeah, I don’t care if its just for one game. I’m a fan… bleh!

#39 1 year ago
  40. Vice

I can never understand why would they NOT want it… Oh well I’m sure it’ll be ported with time anyway.

#40 1 year ago
  41. elem187

@#36 but of course the PS4/720 will be faster, but at the moment the Nintendo console is easily the fastest console today. It just recieved a port of a game using PC textures last week. A version the 360 and PS3 would choke on.

But what I don’t get is why people would buy a console in the first place for “performance” or “graphicS”. PC gaming has grown by leaps and bounds over the last 7 years. The PS4 is going to be on par with a low end PC gaming rig by the time its on store shelves…. A $300 upgrade to a Radeon 7950 will give any computer with a PCI Express 3.0 slot more than 50% the graphics rendering power. For multiplats, I just don’t see the value in buying any console.

#41 1 year ago
  42. elem187

@36 But to answer your previous statement, no Bayonetta 2 will never end up on another platform. Its locked to Nintendo… Bayo 1 or Bayo 3 can end up anywhere that its paid to end up, but Nintendo owns part 2 now.

#42 1 year ago
  43. PRJ-227

@all
    some if not most of these comments are sound BUT it all comes down to two things: bayonetta2 will be on the ps4&720(since i believe the ps3 and 360 cant handle it at the time) OR it will be a WII U exclusive. either way it will go someone will be happy others dissapointed cause remember SOME games are better on the Wii U but not all. Thats just me but it would be cool if it was on the ps4 and 720…..

#43 1 year ago
  44. PRJ-227

@ elem 187 your comment to me is only HALF correct. You see it would make NO ENTIRE SINCE if they made a third one and put it on whatever sony and microsoft system that would be out at that time cause it would have the player asking, WTF HAPPEND IN THE SECOND ONE!!! so i doubt they would DO that -_-

#44 1 year ago
  45. Red and Black

I think everyone here is missing a very important factor in this situation and that is Sega’s financial situation. Sega owns Bayonetta, but last year Sega announced that due to their huge financial loss, they would only focus on promoting their most popular IPs. Unfortunately, Bayonetta (as objectively awesome as it is) is not one of them.

What’s great about this is that Nintendo has the opportunity to redeem themselves as a console maker that caters to a broader range of games as the range of games on high end consoles becomes more and more narrow. However, game companies need to stop playing follow the leader so much. People miss out on great games from successful series in other genres coming to life such as Bayonetta because regardless of the fans waiting to spend their money on great ideas, they’d rather drop a clone of a game that’s constantly being imitated. Whether you like it or not, Nintendo took a risk and did fans of this game a favor. I wish nothing but success for it so that its future can be in more favor to the fans however they’d like to see it. For now, all fans can do is make the most of the situation just like Sega, Platinum Games, and Nintendo are doing for the fans.

#45 1 year ago