Assassin’s Creed creator prefers the “pure” first game to sequels

Monday, 25th March 2013 05:40 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Assassin’s Creed creator Patrice Désilets believes the first game is the best in the series, although he said the premise didn’t become a “real game” until the second entry,

“I like the first Assassin’s Creed because it’s the purest one. There’s a bunch of stories that you can have, but it’s all in your head. You have to create your own adventures,” Désilents told Edge.

“Whereas in Assassin’s Creed 2, we created the adventures for you and you’re following them. For me, the first one is an amazing toy. The second one is the real game with rules and missions and it’s really precise.

“But personally I like the poetry of the first one. It’s pure.”

The developer, who recently returned to Ubisoft thanks to its buyout of THQ Montreal, said playing the first Assassin’s Creed felt a little bit like improvisational theatre.

“Out in the kingdom, with your horse, there are so many places with little setups with Crusaders where you can tell a story. When you get close to Damascus, there’s a guy on a stage and he has 35 soldiers in front of him. If you kill him, they all chase you. I played that and it became my little story,” he said.

“With Assassin’s Creed, our problem was we never actually asked anyone to do it. Most of the players just pass by those setups. But in Assassin’s Creed II, we had a mission for all of them.”

Désilets’s comments are part of a longer feature on the making of Assassin’s Creed, which is well worth a read.

1. Demigod

He is right the first is pure its so lacking in expansive game play, it really is the pure idea with not much added. Im surprised the squeal, which is infinitively better, ever happened Im glad someone saw what could be with more added. If you want a game that is repetitive has a minimum of story and a boring protagonist play assassins creed one and enjoy the pure repetitive tedium, if you want fun play assassins creed 2 it is the best in the series imo

2. mkotechno

You don’t say? …

3. bpcgos

yeah its great, its trully the best asscreed ever in term of atmosphere its able to build (I love it so much just riding around in between city in my horse). sadly, rather than giving more options in term of gathering information about your target and more ways to kill them (more like hitman maybe) , its going tighter,linear and slimmer on its sequel.
    Just imagine the first ass creed where you can choose how to kill your target like hitman. Find more useful intel about your target by picpcketing, eavesdropping, stealing ,etc. That would be awesome

4. mistermogul

I agree with #1 – AC2 is the series best imo…

5. Lahanas

AC1: Best story, best atmosphere, best period, best assassinations. Easily the one I enjoyed the most. Assassin’s Creed in 2007 was an unprecedented experience and I will never forget that.

6. YoungZer0

AC 1 really had the best atmosphere and the best setting of all the AC Games. The gameplay wasn’t as heavily scripted, so you could actually kill your target when you wanted to. But by Hades the game was boring as fuck. The pacing is so fucking slow, you could use the game to counter your insomnia.

The presentation of the story and the dialogs is what broke it for me. Give me some interesting cutscenes, do something, don’t just force one to three perspectives and have my character stand around and talk about stuff.

Yeah, I guess you could argue that you can create your own adventure in AC, but you could do that in AC2 as well.

I’d probably be totally in love with AC2 if it wasn’t for the setting. It pains me to see that they never did anything with the setting of the first one. Revelation doesn’t count, as the gameplay was extremely limited. You couldn’t explore cities and do your free-roaming like Ezio. And as boring as Altair may be, he’s still much more interesting than Connor.

7. Mad-elph

I just finished Brotherhood over the weekend and have had revelations in the celo for 9 months waiting to finish as well. I really love this series and know that it can grow into something really solid like an FF with stories and following. I think the first was great, the second was better, brotherhood improved some aspects that were missing and the story was good.

I really wished they didn’t jump so much time to get to AC3, as the leaps left huge gaps that would have been great to explore.

I hope AC5 goes back in time instead of forward. Creative writing could allow for it. Say start the first mission in the AC4 timeline, have something catastrophic happen, then pop out of animus and say, shit had we known they had X we could have stopped it. Then find a missing ancestor in time period X that was chasing down something that lead to the hidden X that gave them power for the catastrophe. Anyway, I am going to start Revelations tonight and hope to finish it in a week, then go to another couple games and hit 3 when 4 comes out.

8. Gheritt White

I agree with Mr Désilets, although Brotherhood remains my series favorite by a wide margin.

9. noamlol2

i agree AC1 was the best

and it was the most authentic one too

#9 1 year ago