Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag gameplay trailer, collector editions revealed

Monday, 25th March 2013 17:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag has received its first gameplay trailer, along with a list of collector edition bundles and a VIP pass called “The Watch” that are heading to retailers near you.

In a release sent to VG247 today, Ubisoft confirmed that the PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U and Xbox 360 editions of Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag would each receive collector edition bundles.

Pre-order customers will also gain access to “The Watch”, a VIP programme that gives players a special activation code that unlocks bonus content. UK and Ireland players can only get the code from can only get this code from Game, Amazon and GameStop and direct from Uplay.

VIPs will get a special bonus mission, extra rewards and access to an exclusive social hub where you can chat about the game, compare achievements and more. You can check out the Assassin’s Creed: The Watch hub here.

You can also pre-order a limited Edward Kenway: The Assassin Pirate figurine on Uplay from today, ahead of its October release. Buying the figure will also net you a DLC code for bonus in-game weapons and skins.

Now then, those collector editions are as follows:

The Black Chest Edition (Uplay exclusive)check out the product page here.

• Premium Quality 55 cm Diorama of Captain Edward on the Jackdaw’s Bow
  • Exclusive SteelBook
  • High-quality artbook
  • The official soundtrack
  • 2 Lithographs in their protective envelope
  • 2 canvas prints
  • All existing additional Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag Unlockable In-Game Content, including single player missions, skins and weapons
  • Collector’s box
  • Physical pirate booty: Parchment world map, an original Black Flag replica

The Buccaneer Edition (exclusive to Game in the UK and Gamestop in Ireland)

• Premium Quality Edward Kenway Figurine on the Jackdaw’s Crow’s Nest
  • High-quality artbook
  • The official soundtrack
  • 2 Lithographs in their protective envelope
  • Collector’s box
  • Additional Unlockable In-game Content

The Skull Edition (available across the UK)

• Collector Jumbo Steel Case
  • High-quality artbook
  • The official soundtrack
  • 2 Lithographs in their protective envelope
  • Unlockable In-game Content

The Special Edition (exclusive to Game in the UK and Xtravision in Ireland)

• This special edition will be available at the standard price and includes unlockable in-game content only available at game launch.

That’s a nickel and dime proposition if ever I saw one. Now then what you really came for, the new gameplay trailer:

What do you think?

1. YoungZer0

Meh.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 American McGee, is that you?

#2 1 year ago
  3. SlayerGT

@2 Ha! :)

#3 1 year ago
  4. theevilaires

I know they’re milking the crap out of this franchise but you have to admit these trailers make you want to keep buying them. I’m still on Brotherhood. Does anyone know if I can skip it and go to Revelations because Brotherhood seems like MGS VR missions to me, not a true sequel. I need to catch up badly.

#4 1 year ago
  5. dex3108

Raphael Lacoste did amazing job again as Art Director :D

#5 1 year ago
  6. Max Payne

@4 I think everyone would agree that Brotherhood was better than Revelations

#6 1 year ago
  7. Cozzy

Oooh this is looking good. I’m a sucker for this series, loved AC3, even with its many flaws. Don’t know what it is, just love the games.

#7 1 year ago
  8. theevilaires

Thanks Max Payne I guess no skipping for me.

#8 1 year ago
  9. deathm00n

@8 Skip Revelations, the worst game of the series to me.

#9 1 year ago
  10. polygem

played the first one. thought it´s ok but not that great. havent finished it. just lost interest. started the second. never finished it. never touched an asscreed game since. thinking about getting the vita one. i know it´s not the best assassins creed out there but could be a great adventure game if you´re on a (business) trip and alone in your hotel room. sniff.
    that said, trailer looked pretty good actually…i mean it has pirates AND sharks!

#10 1 year ago
  11. YoungZer0

@2: http://goo.gl/rlge8

#11 1 year ago
  12. Edo

The game looks good I guess,but this exclusive content bullshit needs to die as soon as possible.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Moonwalker1982

Great colours, cool location but i bet it will play exactly the same as the previous ones and thats not a good thing in my book.

#13 1 year ago
  14. theevilaires

Yea one thing about this gen that is slightly missing between games and film is the gameplay animations. I hope next gen character animations will be super fluid and more life like.

You can tell a big different in Watch Dogs to this.

#14 1 year ago
  15. ItsFade

Assassin’s Creed games are such a tease, they always look awesome pre-release and then you sit down and play them only to realize well this isn’t what I wanted, no not at all.

I enjoy the series for what it’s worth and if it lives up to the pre-release buzz for once (which the series hasn’t done since Assassin’s Creed 2 in my opinion) it could be an awesome game. Open world pirate game that takes the best aspect from Assassin’s Creed 3 (the ship stuff) you could have some real good stuff brewing.

TL;DR Please don’t fuck it up again Ubisoft I want to love this game.

#15 1 year ago
  16. SlayerGT

@15 exactly how I feel. Anyone know if AC2 was made by one studio or the now relied on Ubi multi studios?

#16 1 year ago
  17. The_Red

I also feel American McGee.

The graphics are decent but not good enough for the next-gen AC (PS3/360 versions are obviously gonna look worse than this vid) while the gameplay is pretty much the same. It has come to a point that I kinda hate the combat system.

#17 1 year ago
  18. drewbles82

These should be every 2 yrs. Far too soon for another game, I havent even finished revlations but thats cuz i have tons of games, dont spend all my time play COD. To be a teen again would be awesome, all that free time to play games

#18 1 year ago
  19. Bomba Luigi

@18: Just wait, one day your are old enough to stop working ^^

So, the Game… on the one Side, I’m very tired of AC Games. But then, I am big Fan of Pirates, and I want a good Pirate Game so badly.
    Don’t know what to do with this Game for now, need more Information.

#19 1 year ago
  20. TheWulf

Does anyone else get the feeling that they were developing something else, and then that got pulled out of development just so they could tack the Assassin’s Creed IP onto it? It just feels that way. And that seems completely pointless because pirates are popular enough to sell things by their own merits.

But no, soulless shilling of IPs and all that. That this is Assassin’s Creed just makes it so, so much worse for me. If it had been a new IP, I could have been perhaps interested.

#20 1 year ago
  21. monkeygourmet

I think they spent a shit load on creating Naval warefare in AC3, and needed to re-use some assets! :)

But, this soooooo should have been a new IP.

It could have been the start of a great new franchise if the AC name wasn’t plastered all over it, a huge missed oppertunity in my book.

@Topic

Man, im sick to death of that stupid ass Hood he always wears… I know it’s become the AC ‘trademark’ look, but it’s become dated really quickly.

I used to think the hood looked quite cool, but in the last 2 games it looks f’ing awful. This being the most stand out example.

He’s a pirate but he looks like a complete twat. Def should have been a new IP, and a new look, maybe even have a player creation system and introduce some RPG stuff?

#21 1 year ago
  22. ItsFade

I agree and I hope the game will include some costumes which doesn’t use the hood similar to some of the costumes in Assassin’s Creed 3. It looked particularly silly in Assassin’s Creed 3 I thought, the point of the hood in the first place was to look inconspicuous and blend with the crowd.

This is something which made sense in 11th century Acre filled with monks during Assassin’s Creed 1 but in 18th century Boston it looked more out of place and jarring than anything else really. If anything it made Connor stand out far more in a crowd and it looks to be the same here with Edward.

#22 1 year ago
  23. monkeygourmet

Exactly, it was supposed to be about blending in, now it just makes you look like a douche bag.

I couldn’t even play AC3. I didn’t realise you could wear new outfits though, that slightly redeems it! :)

It’s weird, Ubi seem to feel that the hood needs to stay otherwise the brand is lost…

Even Mario has a bigger choice of outfits! ;)

#23 1 year ago
  24. YoungZer0

@21: You’d think something like a hood would be minor, but it really isn’t I’m getting fucking sick of it. I totally agree, a new franchise would at least allow the characters to look different. This is just stupid. And I think we all know that the secret costumes will look worse.

AC3 had so many atrocious costumes, I just went back to the standard costume.

#24 1 year ago
  25. YoungZer0

@22: What I don’t get is how you couldn’t use the costume Connor was wearing in one of the missions you do with his father. Why can’t you keep it? I mean it really lets you blend in with the crowd.

They should introduce some sort of clothing mechanic like in Hitman.

@23: It’s the cover. You’d think that people read ‘Assassin’s Creed’ and recognize it by name, but no, apparently not. I bet it’s marketing getting in the way of creative people again.

#25 1 year ago
  26. ItsFade

@23 AC3 had some silly outfits, one of them made Connor almost look like Jack Sparrow heh and this one I can’t even explain.

Agreed, would be it so hard for them to just include something which didn’t stick out like a sore thumb.

#26 1 year ago
  27. YoungZer0

Jesus, why did you have to post those pictures? My eyes. They are burning.

I can’t imagine that there are people out there that payed good money to get the Colonial Outfit DLC.

Remember when Connors Mentor told him that he can’t call himself by his native name, because people wouldn’t like that? Next thing you know, Connor is wearing indian clothes. =_=”

… god the game was such a trainwreck.

#27 1 year ago
  28. ItsFade

@25 Most definitely wish they would let you use that costume after the mission as it looked perfectly in line with colonial Boston.

@27 I thought the one in the DLC expansion looks downright hilarious.
    Connor: I’m spanish bro, no need to worry.

#28 1 year ago
  29. sb319

Leftovers from ACIII hastily knocked into something vaguely releasable. Disappointing.

#29 1 year ago
  30. YoungZer0

@28: Yep, loved the costume. It even has some space to hide weapons.

Say what you want about the new DLC, but at least the costumes makes some sense, as Connor never met his mentor, never lost his mother and never had any reason to walk around in ‘modern’ clothes. Still the animal hoody is stupid and it’s rather ridiculous that he runs around half naked, considering he’s mostly running through thick snow.

Should’ve worn his mohawk. Best part about the game.

@29: Somehow I think ACIII is the leftover we got.

#30 1 year ago