Titles not offered at launch through Xbox Games on Demand to keep from cannibalizing retail

Saturday, 23rd March 2013 14:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft doesn’t release new Xbox 360 titles through its Games on Demand services at launch because it doesn’t want to take sales away from retail, according to senior business manager Erik Yeager.

Yeager said that while the service isn’t lagging behind as much on releases as in the past, it still tries to give retail a head start.

“We have a lot of strong partnerships with retailers,” said Yeager during a Joystiq attended MIT Business in Games conference.

“We really need them to do a lot for us. They’re the ones out there selling the consoles, selling the peripherals and, in this time, we’re trying to figure out how to fit that in to the whole digital landscape shift. We’re just taking a bit of a measured pace with it.

“We really strongly believe it’s important to have these retail partnerships and the ability to sell our console is the most critical thing for us. If you don’t sell the console, you can’t sell anything else.”

It remains to be seen whether Microsoft will change this strategy to become more in line with Sony and Nintendo when it launches its next Xbox console.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Obvious, really.

Just like how films aren’t released on DVD/for download until months after cinema release.

I’d prefer digital sales, day one, though.

Waiting for mail delivery, or having to go to the shop first thing in the morning, can be very inconvenient.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

I’m surprised that retail are able to hold them hostage like that. Moving hardware is important, but what is retail really gonna do? Stop selling consoles?

I don’t see that happening, the brands are too big.

Then again Microsoft is a very old fashioned company, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they looked for reasons not to do something before examining the reasons why they should.

It’s not like digital is about to become a smaller market, it’s just a question of when it takes over.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Tech-N9ne

So this same Microsoft is gonna block used games? Obviously not.

#3 1 year ago
  4. redwood

ahah :) this is crap, MS needs to counter sony’s first day digital sooner or later or they WILL have a problem .. sooner or later.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dragon246

I wonder about this. Sony offers day one digital everywhere, and their retailer relations are very good. Odd reason to say the least.

#5 1 year ago
  6. monkeygourmet

I like the option of digital but the prices nearly always suck, Assassins Creed 3 on Wii U is £55 on the eshop, that is just unbelievable.

That said, the recent Xbox sale was a step in the right direction. Lots of good stuff available dirt cheap.

The main problem I have with digital this gen is transferring content to new consoles. The Wii U did it in a very clumsy way but I can’t see the PS4 or 720 offering content transfer atall.

I have about 50 games on my Xbox that I would love to copy over to the 720, but I just can’t see that happening. Especially Games on Demand.

#6 1 year ago
  7. drewbles82

Simple solution don’t buy day one. Why rush through games, take your time, enjoy them and when that new game you wanted came out over a year again, your laughing because you get it so cheap.
    I will never buy digital full downloads, we have a limited service for one. then what bout the so called 15% of xbox users who never connect to the net, dont think ud be stupid enough to tell them they cant buy anymore games.
    Never trust download/or cloud, what happens if the company hosting all your games goes bust, goes down, your screwed.

#7 1 year ago
  8. G1GAHURTZ

Not buying day one is fine if you’re not interested in online gaming.

It puts you at a disadvantage if you are.

#8 1 year ago
  9. monkeygourmet

It’s crazy isn’t it? Some games become almost unplayable / unenjoyable if you miss day 1 and join late.

I tried Tomb Raider multiplayer a couple of days after launch and could barely gt a kill! :/

#9 1 year ago
  10. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, definitely.

It’s even tough, day one, sometimes, because some people get the game up to a week before official launch. You might as well just back out if you come across one of these guys during your first few games.

The only real way to beat the situation without getting repeatedly pwned, is to play with a group of players who can help you ease into the action, and give you ‘on the fly’ tips.

Still, for me, I don’t mind getting repeatedly pwned if the game feels like it’s worth getting good at.

#10 1 year ago
  11. monkeygourmet

I get ya. I got pretty damn good at Halo 4 (had it a day before launch), but if you don’t keep it up, people become crazy good in a short amount of time.

Tried it again the other day and it was so difficult it wasn’t even fun! ;)

I tend to play more online co-op like Left 4 Dead etc… Sometimes, competitive multiplayer is too stressful!

#11 1 year ago
  12. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!

Yeah, for real. It certainly can be stressful. It’s one of the reasons why I’ve decided to take a break from gaming.

It can take a lot of games to get your rhythm back, and feel at ease with the controls on an FPS, no matter how good you are at the game.

So sometimes, it’s not that people have become better, it’s just that I’ve forgotten all of the tiny things that I usually do to give me an advantage, and I need to play a lot of games to remember what I stopped doing.

But yeah, in general, most of the community change play style and tactics at around the same time. If you miss it by not playing for a while, it’s almost like you’re playing a different game to everyone else when you come back.

‘Oh, those old tactics? What is this, 1985? Who is this n00b?’

Which, is also one of the reasons why it can be so addictive.

You have to keep playing, or by the time you come back, you’re so far down the leader boards, and everyone else is a much higher rank.

#12 1 year ago
  13. monkeygourmet

One thing that surprised me was when I looked in cheating on games like COD / Battlefield.

I was sure someone was cheating in a match I played, and lo and behold, I found loads of info about things like aimbots. That really sucks, I didn’t even think that shit was possible on a console, but, I guess people always find a way to cheat!

#13 1 year ago
  14. zinc

^ My tip is to check online & see what all the players are complaining about being OP or cheap, then create a class using those weapons & tactics

:-)

#14 1 year ago
  15. DrDamn

The concession Sony make to retail is excessive pricing of day one digital releases. The sooner they both can lose this dependency the better.

#15 1 year ago
  16. G1GAHURTZ

@13:

Yeah, when it comes to cheats, I’ve played many hours on console, but only ever come across a few.

Sure, they do exist, but it’s nothing like I used to come across on PC.

Actually, it’s one of the reasons that I prefer online gaming on console over PC. I don’t know if the situation has changed, but about 10 years ago, when I was more of a PC gamer, it was pretty rampant.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Djoenz

Yeah on the psn day one releases are on average ten bucks higher than retail prices. Especially EA games pff.

Im glad I went psn+ though three free games per month.

#17 1 year ago