Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 gets more Dead Dunes screens

Thursday, 21st March 2013 10:08 GMT By Dave Cook

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 has received another batch of gameplay screens set in the games desert area the Dead Dunes. The shots also show off Lightning’s alternative costumes, wild beasts and more

The gallery below follows Square’s first set of Dead Dunes images, which show Lightning surfing across sand, exploring an oasis and more. Get them here.

1. Unlimax

Ok confused , Was those screenshots taken from PC ?

I mean take a look at those Edges and Textures !

#1 1 year ago
  2. Djoenz

Ive seen better sand dune textures in the demo of Spec Ops the line and UC3.
    The textures on the chairs are like DMC’s 2 on PS2.

Like the graphics matter but the overall design is unappealing to me.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Francis O

This game is just going to suck, the FF 13 Saga of games is a bunch of crap. Square Enix has killed the franchise. They need to start worrying about gameplay instead of graphics.

How come Chrono Trigger on the SNES smokes FF 13 battle system? Cause they cared about gameplay. Where the F*ck is FF 13 versus?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Djoenz

Amen brother Amen.

#4 1 year ago
  5. YoungZer0

What’s up with those clothes?

#5 1 year ago
  6. redwood

@13 yeah right? it’s almost as if the government in FF-land sets up funds to make sure everyday is bad-cosplay-day..

#6 1 year ago
  7. Gnosis

@5: That’s what I’ve been wondering about since the revealing of the game. I’m just… I don’t even know. Never really liked Nomura’s style, but this is just hilarious.

#7 1 year ago
  8. YoungZer0

@7: Look at that skirt @ screenshot 2. What the hell is up with that? Looks like they just threw in clothes together and called it a costume.

#8 1 year ago
  9. salarta

Like all things lately, I don’t think we can really complain about the clothes. We accept much worse done to characters, especially female ones, in video games than weird or bad costumes. It’s like griping about your car not being the right shade of red when you’re perfectly fine with buying it new despite it being a banged up broken down mess.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Digital Bamboo

^This comment confuses me.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Gnosis

@8: Yeah, that’s what I meant. I kinda reminds me of the “skirt” Ashe was wearing in XII, but even then it wasn’t that… well, “body-hugging”. But then again, since Nomura took over the character design there are plenty of examples like this. This one is at least not as disgusting as Seymour’s kimono.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Dragon246

Those costumes really are weird.
    Hopefully story is good.

#12 1 year ago
  13. salarta

@10: Sorry, I will see if I can be a little clearer.

The comments in this article increasingly include people complaining about the costumes Lightning is wearing in these and other screenshots of Lightning Returns. I basically said that complaining about bad clothes or clothes that don’t fit a character seems dumb and petty when we’re perfectly willing and happy to accept bad personalities or personalities that don’t fit a character under the guise of “character progression” or “reinvention.”

If the team says this is what Lightning wears, then it’s what Lightning wears, end of story. Let the team have her walking around in a chicken suit if they want, we’ve been willing to lap up worse.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Dragon246

@13,
    I agree. We have seen much worse than this.
    Hey, at least SE is afraid to give female protagonists lead roles unlike their spineless western compatriots. Capcom is doing Remember Me.

#14 1 year ago
  15. YoungZer0

@14: He’s talking about Tomb Raider.

#15 1 year ago
  16. salarta

@15: I’m talking about current culture and society in general regarding how we act about video games and the characters in them. We’ll accept terrible treatment of characters as long as they don’t show too much skin or their clothes don’t look too “strange.”

The complaints about Lightning’s costumes in this game are especially egregious because Motomu Toriyama is director for all the games. Complaining about the costumes is basically saying the creator can’t do what he wants to do with his own work.

#16 1 year ago
  17. YoungZer0

At least Lara can climb into a chopper.

#17 1 year ago
  18. zinc

I firmly believe they stopped taking FF seriously a long time ago & now just keep churning out the same old parody, with more ridiculous art-style for the cosplayers.

FF is surely the Airplane of the RPG world.

#18 1 year ago
  19. salarta

@17: At least Chopper can climb into a Lara!

#19 1 year ago
  20. Gnosis

@18: I’m afraid, they didn’t. Quite contrary, it seems to me that they’re taking themselves more seriously than ever before. It’s hard to believe that a company would keep producing games only for the sake of pissing off the fans.

#20 1 year ago
  21. YoungZer0

@19: And she had more depth than any of the female characters from MGS.

#21 1 year ago
  22. salarta

@21: I fail to see how anyone can deign themselves to have the right to bitch about what a creator decides to do with his or her own creations, while also saying a person that isn’t the creator can go to town ripping apart a character they didn’t create and it’s the best thing ever.

Here we are, with people bitching about how the person that created Lightning chooses to dress her up, while people that didn’t create other characters have a free pass to make them into a mockery of what they were meant to be. We accept someone new coming in to wipe out everything that defines a character as set down by the character’s creators just to fill those characters with their own fantasies, we will even accept these new people openly insulting the character and fans, but we’ll be damned if the character wears something weird or that shows a little skin.

It’s like whining to a starving homeless person that your Ferrari has a tiny scratch. It’s one of the most amusingly hypocritical things I’ve ever seen. :)

#22 1 year ago
  23. zinc

^ The new Tomb Raider really messed you up, didn’t it little guy :-(

You gotta let it go champ, or you’ll become terminally boring.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Gnosis

@23: Too late for that.

#24 1 year ago
  25. YoungZer0

We’ve already established that you have some confusing morals when it comes to female characters.

To be clear, I don’t give two fucks about Lightning. I never cared for her. But at least she had clothes in the previous game, now it’s just parts of clothes thrown together. I don’t call that sexism, but stupidity. She looks like an idiot, a light-version of Lady Gaga.

But I don’t expect you do understand this, after all, you seem to think a huge cleavage in an office environment is a good idea.

Unlike you however, I don’t write an entire essay, complaining about the design of a female character I never cared about, from a series that is practically dead to me, in a game I’ve never played.

“We accept someone new coming in to wipe out everything that defines a character as set down by the character’s creators just to fill those characters with their own fantasies”

- Written by the same guy who didn’t have any problems with the characterization of Raiden in Revengeance

#25 1 year ago
  26. salarta

@23: Nah, there have been a lot of games over the past decade, starting with FFX-2, that have shown me what people are like. My goal used to be to try to push for better treatment of characters in video games. Over the years, it’s become increasingly clear, people don’t care about that. So now my goal has changed: point out just how little right anyone has to bitch about anything done with or to a character anymore. If we’re going to accept genuinely terrible “reimagining” or “character development” of existing characters, we may as well stop acting like we have any right to tell creators what to do with any part of their work and let them enjoy true creative freedom.

#26 1 year ago
  27. YoungZer0

Rather fitting:

#27 1 year ago
  28. salarta

@27: I would have thought that link was unnecessary. But, then again, people on the internet.

#28 1 year ago
  29. YoungZer0

No, some things just need to be made clear.

#29 1 year ago