Arma 3 tutorial video takes a closer look at infantry combat

Thursday, 21st March 2013 14:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Arma 3 has a new video offering available which takes a closer look at infantry combat. The offering is the second in a series of tutorial videos being produced for the community in support of the game and its Alpha test. Arma 3 is out during Q3 2013.

1. Tavarish

Smart move from devs to get one of the largest names in ArmA 2 community to do these promo and guidance videos for ArmA 3. It’s also very nice to see how ArmA 3 is still in Top 5 in Steam.

#1 1 year ago
  2. YoungZer0

But is it actually playable?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Erthazus

#3 1 year ago
  4. OwnedWhenStoned

Was considering paying for the Lite, but I haven’t got the time right now. Looking better than Arma II on the bug front is it?

#4 1 year ago
  5. KineticCalvaria

@3 if that’s a genuine question then yes, it’s a huge improvement performance wise over other arma games.

@5 lite is free, just check the forum for a free key.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Tavarish

@2 & 5 ArmA 3, for being Alpha software atm, is working actually lots better then ArmA 2 ever did. For me at least. I have clocked almost 70 hours into this Alpha since its release so it should tell something about its quality already.

#6 1 year ago
  7. YoungZer0

Wow! I didn’t expect that at all. So glad to hear that the performance got much better. Is the gameplay more redefined?

#7 1 year ago
  8. DSB

@8 Somewhat. The gameplay is pretty much the same, but everything is improved from pathfinding and AI to obviously the introduction of physics.

If you put down a car and tell it to drive from A to B, it will actually drive from A to B. You only ever get awkward stops when you go offroad around rocks, and even then it starts up pretty quickly again.

I’m pretty blown away by it. My confidence in Bohemia was pretty much zero going into it, but I’m genuinely impressed.

Only caveat is that obviously the mod community is just getting started, so right now it’s like a preview. But fully functional.

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

@9: Do the physics include ragdoll and all that? Because that’s something I downright hated about ArmA 1/2, shooting a guy one too many times, just because they ‘dying-animation’ hasn’t kicked in yet.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Erthazus

Can’t wait for the Beta stage. they are going to have tanks and other stuff.

Alpha right now is great. I had no issue except for the “Saving” system. It does not work correctly right now but so far gameplay is there and everything is working.

#10 1 year ago
  11. DSB

@10 Yup, shooting a guy just makes him go limp.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Tavarish

@8 Vehicles are actually effected by physics now and have nice feel to them when driving around. Some small issues still there, but nothing that they can’t fix.

Looking around and aiming with mouse is excellent now, best ever for ArmA -series and very accurate. Also movement is improved a lot with additional stances, e.g. low kneeling, which allows better usage of cover etc.

Overall gameplay feels really good and improved at places where is needed improving. For me this is best ArmA that I have ever played and we are just in Alpha.

Edit: #10 Can confirm also ragdolls. Looks rather nice to put 7.62 round into hostile from 700m away and watch how he just drops like sag of potatoes. Not some super-light ragdolls like most games have, but looks like he actually has that 40 kg of gear on when drops down.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Erthazus

@10, Ragdoll physics, Physics enabled vehicle handling and environmental objects (PhysX 3) and motion capture is my favourite.

#13 1 year ago
  14. YoungZer0

Thanks guys, glad to know that everything I thought was wrong with ArmA 2 seems to have been fixed. Maybe I won’t play the alpha, but I’ll definitely check out the final product.

#14 1 year ago
  15. DSB

@15 You could just get your hands on an ArmA 3 Lite pass, we’ve been handing them out in the forums. I’m sure there are many more out there.

A lot of the guys who got one ended up buying into the beta, so that means 3 more passes out there :P

#15 1 year ago
  16. YoungZer0

Naw, I’m just not a fan of Alpha/Betas.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Tavarish

@17 Consider this then. You pay now 25€ and you get Alpha, Beta and Full Game. Later on you pay 35€ for Beta and Full Game or 45€ for just Full Game. You can save almost 100% in price!

#17 1 year ago
  18. KineticCalvaria

@17 18 has a point, the price at the moment isn’t likely to be the same for release. Plus the alpha is pretty polished for an alpha, you don’t even need to play it though, but at least you’ll have the full game for cheap.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Kuwabara

will the graphics be improved, such as the texture loading and space with nothing but bluriness and simple textures.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Tavarish

@20 It’s safe to say that they try to improve upon it, but its not that easy task to do in the game that has drawing distance measured in kilometers instead of meters.

Personally I don’t see blur textures, major pop in etc. at medium to short distance and game looks really nice. At distance there sure is “only base terrain texture”, but that’s nothing new for OFP / ArmA players.

#20 1 year ago