Uncharted 3 multiplayer downloads surge after free-to-play switch

Wednesday, 20th March 2013 08:26 GMT By Dave Cook

Uncharted 3 developer Naughty Dog has enjoyed an increase in the game’s multiplayer client downloads since it took the shooter down the free-to-play path.

In a post on PS Blog US, the developer announced that the Uncharted 3 multiplayer client had been downloaded over 350,000 times since the game went free-to-play on February 26.

That’s more people playing than the Xbox 360 version of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 multiplayer, last time I was online. Hot damn.

As we reported last night, players are returning to the free multiplayer as Naughty Dog has taken a leaf out of the Team Fortress 2 book, and is now offering players paid vanity items such as hats and other gubbins. We reported on what’s inside in latest ‘Oddball Update’ here.

Not bad for a game that dropped late 2011 no? Same goes for Battlefield 3.

Thanks MCV Pacific.

1. Djoenz

Lmao people still play this third person MP crap?
    Well I’ll be damned. Wasnt there a survey days ago about the majority of US players tht mainly use their PS3 for entertainment rather than games.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 So what? Let people play what they like. What harm is it doing you man? ;)

#2 1 year ago
  3. CyberMarco

haters gonna hate

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 it’s just childish. Games are made for fun. Let’s all start having more fun.

Or does my optimism make me a crusty old dinosaur? I’m not sure any more :P

#4 1 year ago
  5. tezzer1985

@2 Dave it’s sad when I see immature comments like @1..meh I guess that’s the Internet. Why wouldn’t a gamer want a game or developer to do well, in the industry?

Uncharted MP seems to be doing well for Sony, I’m looking forward to seeing where Naughty Dog takes it with PS4.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Djoenz

Childish.. Immature…

Whatever people. :)

#6 1 year ago
  7. CyberMarco

@Dave, I second (is it the right term?) your opinion too. I have downloaded the MP too but haven’t found time to dig in.

#7 1 year ago
  8. redwood

@dave just cause you are a dinosaur, doesn’t mean you have to be crusty, alot many of ‘em were rather fluffy too :)

also i dunno what cracker-head survey showed that more people are using ps3 for entertaintment than games, cause if that were the case sony would have shifted their priorities by now, and not kept most of their money targeted at expanding their games library and making ps3 a good/great gaming option..
    -pease

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

@8 hah :D

#9 1 year ago
  10. Djoenz

Well I might have exaggerated a lil bit :p
    Surveys are BS anyway but funny nonetheless.

I loved the Uncharted series but I just despise Third Person MP. Ive tried Max Payne 3′s MP, Red Dead Redemption (only one I liked tbh cause it has story MP as well), Tomb Raider, Gears of War etc.

I prefer First Person MP. I just think its weird since UC3 is pretty much an old game. Im not hating though I just think its hilarious.

The Last Of Us: MP yes Co Op no Co Op MP no. Well im sad but of people are happy with tht so be it.

#10 1 year ago
  11. redwood

i dunno man, cause the way that survey paints it.. PS3′s eco system would have turned into a bubble like Wii where only the first party(nintendo) is making money and everyone else is not. and if that WERE the case publishers would have pulled off from releasing on it (like they did with wii), cause they would be loosing money for it.. i dunno that survey looks a bit stupid..

#11 1 year ago
  12. DrDamn

That survey didn’t actually say what the headline said or even what most people are taking it to mean – at least without more details. Think of it this way – people do lots of stuff including watching TV and playing games. The way people watch TV has changed quite significantly recently – with streaming, downloads etc. So these people shifting their regular TV watching habits to consoles which allow it isn’t a bad thing. It’s not necessarily saying people have stopped playing games and are watching TV instead, simply that people are using consoles in significant other ways.

On the TPS MP point. I do tend to have problems aiming in a TPS. Not quite sure what it is but the view throws me off. I like the extra awareness you get, but would prefer something like Rainbow Six where it switches to FPS when you aim.

#12 1 year ago
  13. ps3fanboy

what they should do is separate the mp from the sp… concentrate 100% on the sp and finish it then release it retail. after that do the mp next year, sell it only digital and continue build on it with dlc and stuff.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DrDamn

They already do that internally. Different teams work on the SP and MP aspects.

#14 1 year ago
  15. YoungZer0

What developers should do, I think, is bring out a singleplayer game every 2-3 years, but have a separate multiplayer always there. Maybe even F2P.

One series that would definitely benefit from this is Assassins Creed.

Just imagine AC would have a completely separate F2P Multiplayer, that would be updated every month with new content and a new setting every year.

#15 1 year ago