The Elder Scrolls Online: new screens are spider-tastic

Wednesday, 20th March 2013 08:39 GMT By Dave Cook

The Elder Scrolls Online has received a fresh batch of screens, courtesy of Bethesda Softworks. If you’re afraid of spiders you might want to take a deep breath before reading further.

Meanwhile Steph has also rounded up every new The Elder Scrolls Online preview that went live last night. You can get a wealth of new details right here.

Let us know what you think of the screens below.

Thanks AGB.

1. SyNx153

looks beautiful

#1 1 year ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

Doesn’t look dreadful but also doesn’t look much like elder scrolls. Why must every franchise be milked and ruined. :-(

#2 1 year ago
  3. Hcw87

Have you played the game, dumbass? If there’s a universe perfect for an MMO it’s The Elder Scrolls.

#3 1 year ago
  4. jevonski

still looks better than morrowind, I’m more interested in the story Molog Bal is pulling Tamriel into Coldharbour and the king of worms is allied with him wish we could side with them as well xD

#4 1 year ago
  5. TheWulf

I’m not so fond of what they’ve done to the beast races. The art assets look like Oblivion. Considering that there’s usually a non-trivial chunk of people in MMOs and RPGs that love playing those, I think they’re shooting themselves in the foot by doing such a bad job.

Plus, no real footage yet? That’s hurting them. I have no reason to believe right now that this isn’t a wildlife bashing fest with non-existent AI and absolutely no narrative worth, similar to WildStar. In a good RPG, every little thing you do tends to be accompanied by a worthy story. If it isn’t then I don’t bother. There were ‘busywork’ quests in Skyrim that reminded me of MMO quests, but I just ignored them, since that’s not what I play an RPG for and I find it disgustingly lazy on the designer’s part to even include those.

The problem here is… TES Online, is it going to feel entirely like Skyrim’s busywork, but with non-existent AI and no combat feedback? Furthermore, is exploration (one of the key points of The Elder Scrolls) going to be stunted? One of the things that worries me in many of the impressions pieces I’ve read is that there are invisible walls and painted-on doors everywhere. That is very anti-TES by its nature.

I can’t see this appealing to me, really. MMO designers don’t seem to understand what’s wrong with MMOs.

#5 1 year ago
  6. KineticCalvaria

@3 Calling me a dumbass… very immature, was there any need really? Did my comment make you that angry that you had to say that? I feel sorry for you :(.

I’ve seen the previews, released videos, etc. It just looks like a generic MMO.

#6 1 year ago
  7. nollie4545

Agree there is a danger in becoming a poor AI generic MMO with no direction and ultimately a spaz-tastic failure. Problem is Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim set the single player bar so high. Interesting to see how it plays out.

#7 1 year ago