Final Fantasy Versus 13 renamed FF15, moved to PS4 – rumour

Wednesday, 20th March 2013 01:55 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Today’s most exciting on dit is that the long-delayed Final Fantasy Versus 13 has been given a new home and a makeover.

The news is unattributed, so pile some salt on it, but it does come courtesy of VGLeaks, best known for seeming to know everything about upcoming hardware, with details collaborated by independent sources.

The adventures of Noctis apparently now rejoice in the title of Final Fantasy 15, the next core game in the franchise. It’s said to be co-developed by Sony as a PlayStation 4 exclusive.

A jump to PS4 has been rumoured before, and is quite believable, thanks to the game’s mysterious failure to turn up at an expected media reveal.

On top of that, Sony has promised to bring a new, next-gen Final Fantasy to E3 2013, even though it ought to be going mega on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 release Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.

Square Enix does not comment on rumour and speculation. But you do, so go ahead.

Final Fantasy Versus 13 has been in development since 2007 and went into full production in late 2011. It was originally intended as part of a trio of games called Fabula Nova Crystallis, but Final Fantasy 13 Agito became Type-0 and failed to make it west, while Final Fantasy 13 apparently decided to launch its own series.

Thanks, Dark.

1. splashofartstudios

Oh Jesus Christ…I dont want these new Final Fantasies to have ANYTHING to do with that 13 “monstrosity”

#1 1 year ago
  2. SplatteredHouse

As far as Versus goes, it could appear quite different (although I very much hope it will retain its striking style) if it were to reappear as FFXV. So, it’s difficult to say an opinion. I’d very much like to see the “Fantasy based on Reality” make its way to completion. Noctis seems like a promising character in an interesting position.

In related, Agito/Type-0 was recently reported to have been the subject of experimentation, looking into how the game played on a HD display. However, there’s currently “no plans” to release it that way.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Richenbaum

@#1 Versus has nothing to do with 13. There was never any reason for it to even have 13 in it’s name. It actually looked really good. and that’s coming from someone who hasn’t had any interest in the series for the last 10 years or so.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Rosseu

They will probably dumb it down now and make it shittier by making combat turn based like the other games

#4 1 year ago
  5. Phoenixblight

Versus is not turn-based it will be similiar to Kingdom Hearts not to mention exploration.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Rosseu

yeah, what I meant was if I don’t get to see real time combat (present in versus) in the final product I will get really pissed

#6 1 year ago
  7. Eternal

With your contacts, VG247, can you try and get SE to comment on this?

Personally, I don’t think the game is for PS4.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Phoenixblight

Oh, you and me both.

#8 1 year ago
  9. POOP CRUSTY

Ohhh yes!! This was much expect but still happy it has been thrown out there.

#9 1 year ago
  10. TD_Monstrous69

This doesn’t suprise me in the least, considering Square non-showing at the PS4 unveiling. Thought they were about to show Versus XIII there. “Guess they gotta save something for E3″ is the basic synopsis of Square’s showing at the PS4 unveil (and possibly, even that whole event). As far as it being co-developed with Sony. Wouldn’t be too suprised, considering Final Fantasy and Playstation have a storied history with one another, and seemed to do a lot better on Sony’s platform, I mean not 2 sound like a total fanboy, but didn’t Final Fantasy bomb on the 360 this gen?

#10 1 year ago
  11. HauntaVirus

I’m buying it day one, if and when it comes out.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Digital Bamboo

I hope the new, next-gen Final Fantasy game that they unveil at E3 is either a) done in the style of the FF Tactics cutscenes on PSP, b) open-world, or c) both.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Clupula

Wasn’t this the same rumor that Kotaku was perpetrating last year?

#13 1 year ago
  14. Clupula

Anyway, my hope is that Versus XIII remains how it is and is revealed as a PS3 title while FFXV is turn-based PS4-only and based on the Agni trailer.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Francis O

This is going to happen, I actually wrote a nice article about it.

#15 1 year ago
  16. zinc

Who’s ready to bet this will be a PS4 launch title, along with Last Guardian then?

I’ve got a tenner on it :-)

#16 1 year ago
  17. Richenbaum

Wouldn’t they have to pretty much redo the game for it to be up to par with next gen though? I mean it looks nice, but not THAT nice.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Phoenixblight

No not necessarily especially since the game has been in preproduction this entire time so little to no work as been done to it.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Clupula

@15 – Christ! People let you write articles for them!

#19 1 year ago
  20. mkotechno

Watch out! we have the new Duke Nukem here.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Mike W

I hope this comes out soon after the PS4/Xboxnext release date.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Dragon246

@Clupula,
    Thats his site, so you should know what to expect :D

He hopes to get some clicks. But of course no one is interested in biased talk.

#22 1 year ago
  23. YoungZer0

As long as it comes out, I am happy. Versus/15 is the first Final Fantasy in decades that I care about.

#23 1 year ago
  24. CaptPierce

Wait, people still remember this game?

#24 1 year ago