Durango: Kinect, always-on Internet, and installs all mandatory – rumour

Wednesday, 20th March 2013 02:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

A couple of rumours about the next Xbox console have resurfaced, describing a console that is always on the Internet, always watching you with its robotic eye, and always insisting you install your games.

A general overview of the hardware codenamed Durango was published by VGLeak as part of an article on Durango’s XDK. The site has released a number of documents believed related to the new Microsoft console, and although this information can’t be verified, independent sources have corroborated many of the details produced in the past. Even if authentic, the information may be out of date.

With those caveats in mind, here’s the full text. Bold text is my emphasis.

The Durango console is designed to offer developers modern hardware that is more powerful than the Xbox 360. It uses a familiar x64 Architecture and tools, and compared with Xbox 360 development, will reduce development time and effort spent on performance optimization. Hardware accelerators, including “move engines” for common tasks, will be added to the console. Move engines can perform common game tasks like compression and decompression while moving data around the system. The console also has dedicated hardware support for common audio processing tasks that reduce the amount of CPU time that must be devoted to audio. The GPU provides considerable computing power, and supports Direct3D 11.

Durango will implement different power states so that it can always be powered on, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use. The console will be ready instantly when users want to play, and will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this “Always On, Always Connected” design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates.

Every Durango console will be sold with a new high-fidelity Kinect Sensor, which will be required for the system to operate. The console will provide HD video, and will use new depth sensor technology to provide better screen resolution and less noisy depth data. Active infrared illumination will provide high-quality monochrome images even in low ambient light conditions. A wider field of view allows play in smaller spaces, and removes the need for a tilt motor.

System software will offer a full set of system API for Natural User Interface (NUI), and the API set will be an improvement to the corresponding API used by Xbox 360. Skeleton tracking, identity and other NUI functions will be performed by the system, and for that reason, titles no longer need to allocate title resources to NUI.

The Durango controller will make the best-in-class Xbox 360 controller even better. it will have low-latency wireless connectivity to the console, and improved ergonomics. System interaction that use the controller will be simplified to make them easier for noncore gamers.

Every Durango console will have a hard drive, although its exact capacity has not been chosen. It will be large enough, however, to hold a large number of games. All games will be installed on the hard drive. Play from the optical disc will not be supported.

Durango consoles will have a Blu-ray Disc drive. Disc media will be used for distribution, but during gameplay, games will not use content from the optical disc. An installation system is being designed that will allow gamers to begin playing while the game is being installed on the hard drive rather than waiting until installation is complete.

Audio output from Durango will be all digital – 7.1 discrete PCM output through HDMI and [obscured]. Hardware accelerators will be included for decoding and decompressing common audio formats. There also will be a dedicated sound processor to perform common signal processing in hardware.

Microsoft is expected to reveal its new console – which many people are calling the Xbox 720 or NeXt Box while we wait for an official name – sometime over the next few months, with most guesses putting its release down around the same time as the PlayStation 4 – during the 2013 holiday season.

1. DarkElfa

Fuck that, I’m not paying Microsoft so they can watch and listen to my personal environment.

PS4, you win, welcome to my living room.

#1 1 year ago
  2. woe

You do realise these are recycled rumours?

#2 1 year ago
  3. DarkElfa

You do realize they sound very easy to believe and probably are.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DarkElfa

Let me ask you this, if they turn out to be true, will you then try and find an excuse why it’s a good thing? Will you defend them still?!

If so, then why defend against the rumors…

You defend against them because you find the idea offensive and don’t want potential buyers to be turned off by what could turn out not to be true.

Anyone who does that better not even show their face in here in defense of it on the day it turns out to be true, if that indeed happens, or else face major ridicule with no leg to stand on.

#4 1 year ago
  5. resonancecascade

If Microsoft uses the Kinect to spy on their players, they will be guilty of FELONY wiretapping in most states, in addition to a violation of the ECPA:

“Wiretapping
    : First among these is the ban on illegal wiretapping and electronic eavesdropping
    that covers: (1) any person who (2) intentionally (3
    ) intercepts, or endeavors to intercept (4) wire,
    oral or electronic communications (5) by using an electronic, mechanical or other device.”

So yes, it’s a completely tinfoil hat theory, and if it actually happened there would be arrests and some of the biggest fines in history. People would be fired, Microsoft’s reputation would be damaged on the same level as the Murdoch phone hacking scandal, and heads would metaphorically roll. All for what?

#5 1 year ago
  6. orakaa

Wow… I do think this is what was planned by Microsoft, but seeing how Sony decided not to go in this direction, Microsoft might have changed their mind.

If it’s not the case, I can hardly see how they will not lose the hardcore gamers here. Of course the casual and mainstream gamers (young adults who play but are not that aware of gaming actuality) might not even pay attention to this, just like most of them didn’t know/care about RROD. Microsoft might be going this way, especially since their emphasis seems to remain focused on casual/mainstream gamers, with Kinect, etc.

The problem is that, as it can be seen with the WiiU : casual gamers’ attachment/fidelity rate is REALLY low. They won’t buy a Microsoft console because it’s made by Microsoft. Look how Surface RT floped, even with a misleading “Windows”. Casual’s attention on games are directed towards smartphones and tablets, and they don’t need a dedicated 300+ dollar system to play games. Tablets are in that range, but you can do almost anything you want with a tablet (surfing, video, etc.). In the US Microsoft has a decent media service offer (with partnership with Netflix, etc.) but it’s not enough to justify such a purchase.

As for mainstream gamers, they would/could go for Nextbox if there was an exclusivity deal with Call of Duty/Battlefield for instance.

But as for me, mandatory Internet connection = NO BUY. At. All.
    And when I see how, Internet connections are not that stable/good, even in highly crowded cities (I live 20 km away from the capital of my country and my broadband connection isn’t that good), even I can easily see that the would cut themselves from an ENORMOUS quantity of gamers.
    I think about 25% of Xbox never got connected to the Internet, or something like that?
    Dumb move.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Moonwalker1982

People really seem to be missing the point, also on NeoGAF. Previous docs, like the one from EDGE claimed that an internet connection was required for the system to function. Read this new doc though and it says something totally different. I don’t see it saying internet is required. I bet it’s going to be like 360, if you play offline you will just miss out on updates.

There are still now people out there that don’t have internet, hell i know a few. But they do have a 360. MS is aware of that too i’m sure. If it however DOES turn out that you can’t play a game if you are offline, that’s a pretty bad thing for some, but not for me cause i’m always online anyway when i’m gaming. I just hope my internet connection won’t ever give me problems when i go gaming.

Comes with Kinect? Not that much of a deal for me. Installing games and no playing from optical discs? Odd….but i’d mostly dislike it because this pretty much removes any chances of backwards compatibility?

#7 1 year ago
  8. G1GAHURTZ

Here come the paranoia brigade…

#8 1 year ago
  9. orakaa

@5: look at Google and Gmail or Facebook (which I use).
    They monitor your activities in one way, even if it’s said to be “anonymously” with no direct recording, etc.

Microsoft could “monitor” your activities indirectly, with an “always-on” connection without being liable for trials, etc. It COULD be done.
    For instance, they could really well monitor the number of people present on your couch without “identifying them” and prevent you from launching a video rental because “you exceed the number of people allowed”. I am not saying they WILL do that, but they COULD, without “breaking the law”.

It would be a totally despicable practice, for sure.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Moonwalker1982

You state the exact reasons why MS won’t be mostly focusing on casual, they won’t buy it right away. But if MS gets one or two great exclusives for launch for it, hardcore gamers sure will, boy do i hate that word though. I’m pretty positive that MS will bring a new IP or two for the new Xbox and that is aimed at the real gamers, let’s just keep it at that.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

What is up with rumors being printed twice tonight?

While I have no doubt this is probably true, it’s odd that both this and the FFVersusXIII/FFV rumors are being printed for the second time.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Moonwalker1982

I see people on NeoGAF all going ‘ah fuck this, i’m going with Sony next-gen’ and i’m like…why? What exactly is so bad about this? Big deal about Kinect being a necessitiy for the system to function, big deal about having to install games, maybe it could actually be good. Install games while playing them? No problem at all. Always on? Again no problem and i highly doubt that this would mean you can’t play a game if you are not connected. I just don’t see that happening. People are soooo overreacting it’s just ridiculous.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Clupula

@4 – Keep in mind Woe is also the guy who scours the internet for any potential negative thing that can be posted about Sony. Often, I should note, “recycled rumors.”

#13 1 year ago
  14. thyho

boycott this shit

#14 1 year ago
  15. xxJPRACERxx

@12 I’m thinking the same thing. So far it’s PS4 for me but I have absolutely no problem with what I’ve read here. I find this pretty nice actually. Games update automatically while I’m at the job. Power on is super quick. I always install all my games and now I don’t have to wait while it’s installing.

The only “negative” is about Kinect but I don’t really care so it’s not really a negative.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Richenbaum

I know the title kind of makes it sound like it, but if you actually read this thing it doesn’t actually say that it can only work online at all. It says that the system will always be on, at least in sleep mode, and that therefore the internet connection would always be running. It doesn’t say anything about the internet connection being required for anything. It only says that the Kinect is mandatory for the system to run, not the internet connection.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Ekona

I read the ‘always on’ network access as not something that you must have to make the console work (like Sim City), but rather if you leave it attached and always on then it will automatically download all your updates and the like for you, without being prompted. That to me, is a good thing.

Kinect I’ve yet to sample, so I have no opinion on that one other than I’m not a tinfoil hat wearing weirdo ;)

Mandatory installs is irritating though. Enough to put me off? We’ll see.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Erthazus

#18 1 year ago
  19. Nicolas Pottier

#7 Is right, rumors talks about an “Always on connection”. It doesn’t mean it needs it to function, just that . I don’t see why people fear this rumor, this functionnality is included on Wii since 2006 !

It’s a good thing if the system updates itself when we are at work. And for the Kinect always watching, it’s a good thing too. We will be able to use it natively with all games and apps to navigate menus. And I don’t think that it will be watching during the console is in standby mode. And like on 360, your we’ll be able to desactivate the marketing collecting of Kinect in the settings menu.

#19 1 year ago
  20. polygem

15,16&moonwalker +1

but its ms’s attitude in the last few years that made me play less and less on the 360 which really became my main console for most of this gen. right now this is changing and i am playing more on ps3 again. i will watch the nextgen very closely. atm my gut tells me to go for ps4 but then…i dont know shit about nextbox yet. i really hate the freakin xbl ads though and i love ps+. also really like sonys new controller. sure the ms one will prolly also be great. next gen will like always be about games but this time it will also be a fight about subscription deals and what value they offer for the consumer. sonys direction looks more promising in that regard atm.

#20 1 year ago
  21. melonbuster1

Moonwalk1982 bravo! !! The only one here with sense. Thank you. Look if anyone doesn’t like what Microsoft is doing don’t buy. Odds are if you didn’t buy a xbox or a 360 your not buying a Xbox720. So not much to say really. Buy or not they will do things they way they see fit.regardless if any of you disapprove. I love games . So I will buy all. Btw Lego city undercover for the wiiu is fun. But most never got the system because of so hate

#21 1 year ago
  22. Djoenz

Two things tht put me off.
    1. Online subscription.
    2. Mandatory full game installs.

The rest is debatable. These are all rumors anyway.
    If xbox didnt have online subscription I would have bought a xbox360.
    I already pay for my Internet, why should I pay extra just to play online. Its absurd. Principles Microsoft! You have none.

We’ll see.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Erthazus

If the box requires mandatory “installation” that means that the game is always online because some files will probably require internet connection to function. I mean that some files will be on MS Servers.

That’s the logic because I don’t see the reason to install games.

@melonbuster1
    “But most never got the system because of so hate”

Because people are not stupid to buy worthless piece of shit from 2005 with kitchen sink that does not have games on it with shitty online service.

#23 1 year ago
  24. mreko3230

@22 I would have hoped by now that MS would have went with the Playstation Plus model where, if you wanted a subscription you could have one and receive some incentives. Personally, I don’t even notice the subscription anymore. I usually get a year of XBOX Live for around $35US through Amazon and then don’t even think about it for 12 months. But, I can see where it is a hassle and annoyance for a lot of people.

As for the installs- I install all my games on the hard drive anyway. Mainly because I have a 1st gen XBOX360 and its sounds like a jet taking off in my living room if I don’t.

In the end (just like now) I’ll probably end up with both systems anyway. The question is- which one will I prefer to invest my time and money in? Selling a console is not really what makes either company money. Its all about the games and the services.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Kanok

It’s re-write from middle age news.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Myth

Brenna appears to be the only one saying the camera is only on.

The system is “always on”, but that’s definitely not the same thing. My Boxee is “always on” as well, but that’s to receive my “wake up” signal.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Samoan Spider

I haven’t read all the comments but many seem not to be as objective as they could be. However, I do love the impression some people seem to have that Microsoft is employing 100,000′s of people to sit in a tiny bunker watching what you do in your front room. You seem to forget that most of the world doesn’t give 2 shits about you. What you do is completely irrelevant. As has been mentioned, its illegal so therefore not going to be done. The system requires an always on connection. The camera is not ‘always on’ and life continues unabated.

Edit: As always, if the content I want is on the system, I will buy it. Read content btw, not games. My xbox is my media centre as well as games console so that is an important distinction.

#27 1 year ago
  28. aseddon130

I can understand the installation of games since Blu Rays are crap at reading stuff (just as long as it doesn’t take 8 hours to install a game, yes i’m looking at you Gran Turismo 5) and I have a rock solid internet connection but having Kinect mandatory and always on connection makes it hard for me to justify a purchase of the next Xbox, seems like a stupid idea.

Stuff like this make me lean towards the PS4 permanantly, even if Project Gotham 5 will be on it (which is probably the only launch game i’d want for any console)

Bad move Microsoft, unless you justify it in the price of the thing, which is seriously unlikely.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Djoenz

Im actually a PSN+ member and got ME3 for free. I like the free games they offer. Like three free games per month?

I just became a psn+ recently and I like it. Its optional.

#29 1 year ago
  30. G1GAHURTZ

Nobody (outside of MS and, obviously, some devs) knows a single thing about Kinect 2.0, so how can people say that they don’t want it…?

For all you know, it could turn out to be a game changer.

For all you know, they could have voice commands down to a tee, so it may make navigating menus or selecting games as easy as saying a few words…

“Xbox on. Play last game.”

Sure, it could be the same useless (to core gamers) peripheral that the original Kinect is, but getting all worked up over potentially having to use something that you know nothing about is a bt silly.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Dragon246

If true, then THANK YOU MS! SERIOUSLY!
    Now I can only buy ps4 and not worry about missing xbox offerings. One platform is more than enough if you are a completionist like me.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Erthazus

“Xbox on. Play last game.”

I really want to scream something like that. No wonder why Kinect was a failure on the PC when it was released for Windows.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Djoenz

Come on you lazy ass with voice commands :p

What really would be awesome is if they perfect tht hologram shit with Kinect.
    Tht might convince me but voice command hehe be more creative bro.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Fin

Wtf are ye all moaning about. Not being able to play straight from disc is annoying, but I’ve no issues with anything else.

Sure Kinect has to be plugged in but who says ye have to use it?

RELAX!!

#34 1 year ago
  35. Gadzooks!

I don’t see anyone complaining about the Kinect that comes with every PS4.

Double standards are fun!

#35 1 year ago
  36. karma

Wow! this is exactly what I DONT WANT. Good job Microsoft, on making me uninterested in next gen. /TwoThumbsUp

Hope the rumors are false but seems to be there is a lot of evidence to the contrary. Kinect requirement, always on connection, games cannot be played from disk, system interaction that use the controller will be simplified to make them easier for noncore gamers, and also no mention if used games will be freely playable. And they’re bound to keep blocking free membership users from playing their multiplayer games, or accessing minor online in game content. Well it all adds up to a HUGE disappointment really. Myself I will definitely be jumping ship next gen, either to Sony PS4 or SteamBox. Still waiting to see more on the Sony console, but for the most part its sounding way better than Durango. Though still very worried about used games being freely playable without having to pay some sort of additional charge to allow it on PS4.

#36 1 year ago
  37. DrDamn

@woe
    It’s not recycled – maybe re-enforcement, but the screen grabs are all new. See the linked article.

I’m not as anti a lot of this as most. I am online the vast majority of the time and a console designed around that is a good thing to some extent at least. The idea that retail games install to disc – if this means I don’t need the disc in the machine too (because of the onlineness) then that’s a good thing for me too. Yes there are disadvantages, but there are a load of advantages too.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Samoan Spider

Just as a point of reference, I can’t find anywhere that says that PS4 games don’t have a mandatory install, much like the PS3 has for years. So I’m sorry, but thats not a barrier to entry especially when:
    “An installation system is being designed that will allow gamers to begin playing while the game is being installed on the hard drive rather than waiting until installation is complete”
    Which I see as a huge improvement. And if you’re really that bothered about Kinect or the PS4eye thingy, point the fucking thing at the wall and never use it, or better still, don’t plug it in if it allows that. As #35 says, double standards are fun.

Edit: I’m feeling really quite pragmatic today, hence the more forceful statement, but seriously, in a month we’ll know a lot more facts about it, so lets wait and see.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Fin

Some PS3 games don’t have a mandatory install – I know the Killzone ones for sure don’t.
    Isn’t it to do with Bluray seek times anyway? That seems to be a physical limitation that can’t be overcome with software (aside from installing).

#39 1 year ago
  40. Samoan Spider

@39 Yeah that was as I understood it. Blu-ray drives have sped up quite a bit since then which will mitigate that problem (2x I think in PS3 without looking vs the 10x I own in my PC), but then the size of games has grown so that might offset the gain. I’ve always installed my 360 games anyway so no loss for me and I’ve been unlucky in that all PS3 games I’ve owned have required very lengthy installs (never played KZ though). At least heavy rain gave me something to make though ;). With my PC its been the case since forever so I’m accustomed to it.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Djoenz

Mandatory install is just bullshit. For ps3 at least that is. My HDD which was 120gb is not enough cause it was pretty much full after 2 years. Not to mention I deleted shit etc.

Thing is why should I delete my content to make space.

So this will install full games on the console. This thing might have a 1tb HDD or 500gb? At least with xbox you can easily replace it or upgrade?

I think this will boost the nexbot’s price and I dont want to buy a new hdd etc.

So for PS3 it will suck.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Dragon246

I actually like mandatory install. If enforced uniformly, it will improve load times drastically.
    SSD would be very nice too, but they are too expensive.

#42 1 year ago
  43. G1GAHURTZ

@33:

With the amount of people going overboard and complaining about UI navigation on the 360, I’m sure that simple voice commands would be very high on many people’s list of preferred features.

It would also justify it being necessary for the console to function, rather than an optional accessory.

Besides, if the leaked specs are right, and there is hardly any latency, as well as finger tracking, it looks like there’s a lot of potential there.

#43 1 year ago
  44. DrDamn

It’s easy – and cheap – to upgrade your PS3 HDD. A very good idea if you have just subbed to PS+ too.

I think size of games and convenience is meaning installation of games is going to be standard for NextGen consoles. They both have systems in place to start playing whilst installing – so it’s not a big issue. Optical media is fine as a delivery mechanism, it’s always been a bit rubbish for actually playing off though hasn’t it?

#44 1 year ago
  45. Fin

Wut?
    PS3 HDDs are waaaayyy cheaper to replace than 360s – 360s are proprietary, you can put in any 2.5″ SATA into a PS3 and it’ll work.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Djoenz

“Durango on”
    “start hologram”
    “play last game”

Oh shit imagine a Virtual AI!

I like what you getting at. :D

Oh I wasnt aware of tht I thought it was the other way around.

I see well I still cant imagine what an amount of GB this will swirl around. Big ass HDD.

Well you two made me learn something useful. :)

#46 1 year ago
  47. nollie4545

It’s obvious the kinect will now be used to control the UI. In addition it will probably be used to display a real time video of you during online play or something if you want that.

As for mandatory installs this has been the case in the PC world for years. One because one DVD hasn’t got the capacity to run your average game and two because getting data off an optical drive is so bloody slow. HDD access and read times are massively better even where mechanical drives are involved. Why would you want a next gen console with last gen load times? It’s obvious this thing is going to have a 1TB drive at the very least in it so you can install a shit load of stuff and you might half fill it.

Never known such a bunch of moaning shits.

#47 1 year ago
  48. monkeygourmet

Didn’t people say the PS4 would feature similar features before it was shown?

Sony also still hasn’t confirmed a lot of features regarding the PS4, especially it’s online functions including adverts, how PS Plus will work, what things from PS3 / Vita are transferable, how exactly will Gaikai work…

At the moment, it’s still very much ‘wait and see’ time…

However, always on Kinect 2.0 is a big ‘no’ from me. Especially if it’s linked with info gathering for advertisers which it most certainly will be.

#48 1 year ago
  49. G1GAHURTZ

How?

Please explain how MS could use a camera for gathering info…

#49 1 year ago
  50. DrDamn

@MG
    “Im still half expecting they reduce the amount of memory like they did with the Vita before launch.”

They didn’t.

Though I do think Sony have something to prove still on delivering on promises. They got that horribly wrong with PS3 – over promising and under delivering. I expect them to do better with PS4, but doubts remain.

#50 1 year ago
  51. DrDamn

Rapid hand movement whist browsing the internet or watching movies == mansize kleenex advert?

#51 1 year ago
  52. SplatteredHouse

“Im still half expecting they reduce the amount of memory” That’s a thing I feel fairly confident in predicting will not happen. Because, the PS4 is built to spec advised by developers. Sony asked, and all feedback I’ve seen suggests that the makers, they approve of the amount of RAM available. They won’t alter that.

#52 1 year ago
  53. monkeygourmet

Im not sure if you’ve used Kinect 1.0, but there is an option to have it ‘always on’ for trying to improve voice control from the cloud.

I guess the idea being, the more people use voice control, the smarter Kinect’s library of phrases and capabilities with dialects it becomes.

Also new on Xbox dashboard, was the ‘recommendations’ feature linked to previous purchases (nothing really new, very similar to Amazon shopping; i.e. You purchased this, you may also like xyz…)

My main problem being, these two features being linked together along with MS’s obvious media push will really start to push me away from the new console if it’s true.

At the moment, my girlfriend and I share a flat. We have an Xbox 360 each, her’s is in the lounge, mine is in the bedroom for co-op gaming.

Having to have Kinect 2.0 ‘always’ on in the bedroom isn’t really a nice idea IMO! :)

You could say; “Point it at the wall or whatever…”, but I shouldn’t really be having to think about that when I simply want to play a game.

I think Kinect 2.0 could end up being the biggest ‘harvesting’ tool for advertisers in recent years. If Kinect 2.0 can keep picking up ‘buzz words’ in conversations in linking that with your ‘likes’ then MS and any media advertising companies will be loving it!

People who want to play games, maybe not so much…

#53 1 year ago
  54. monkeygourmet

No, I’m with you there too. It’s just strange it’s built alongside Dev’s, when it was a suprise to most of them that Sony upped the RAM at the last minute.

Also 8gb of GDDR5 is almost overkill compared to the rather ‘vanilla’ CPU and GPU. It’s a strange addition IMO.

Not showing the console has made me wonder how they are going to cram it all in! :)

#54 1 year ago
  55. Gadzooks!

#53

Why would MS need that elaborate setup when they already have probes implanted directly in our brains?

Well, I say ‘our brains’ but I mean ‘your brains’ really, as my tinfoil hat shields me from the hypno-rays they use to subdue you before implanting.

I also have a tinfoil bunghole stopper. To stop the MS cancerworms, obviously.

But in all seriousness, crack cocaine will cause you problems in later life. I’d lay off it a little. ;)

#55 1 year ago
  56. V

happy norooz………… :)

#56 1 year ago
  57. Samoan Spider

@56 I thought that was the 21st?

#57 1 year ago
  58. G1GAHURTZ

@53:

Hmmm… Well, that’s certainly dwelling on the outer limits of what’s possible.

I mean, of course it’s possible.

But likely? I’m not so sure.

If MS wanted to harvest info like that, they already have something that’s much more effective than a potential eavesdropping device.

Windows.

If they really wanted to, they could keylog every word we type, and activate every webcam.

Yeah, I can fully understand the bedroom thing, but I’d probably give MS the benefit of the doubt until they give us a reason to think otherwise.

Here is their Kinect privacy FAQ, btw… It all seems reasonable enough to me.

#58 1 year ago
  59. Fin

Don’t you try to bring a privacy FAQ into this! We’re only referencing 1984 and having kneejerk reactions!

PROTIP: THERE’S A CAMERA IN YOUR PHONE THAT FACES YOU WHEN YOU HOLD IT! PROBABLY ONE IN YOUR LAPTOP TOO!! THINK OF ALL THE THINGS THE GOVERNMENT HAS SEEN.

This comment section is the definition of overreaction.

#59 1 year ago
  60. monkeygourmet

I def get what your saying, the privacy FAQ is also a good read. Key point in that being; ‘How to turn Kinect off’.

If these rumours prove to be true, why else would MS want Kinect 2.0 to always be ‘on’?

Not trying to go really dark, just be interesting to know what you would feel justify’s an ‘always on’ camera attached to a media device in your home?

And, of course, everything we look at can generally be ‘logged’ in some way or another, i’m hypocricital in that respect because I still use a lot of these service’s: Facebook etc…

It’s just nice to know which direction we are heading in society. If you’d have told people 30 years ago there would be CCTV all over the place, our movements would be logged via GPS, they would have called bullshit… But slowly, over time, these things bleed into our everyday lives, especially through ‘trojan horse devices’ we all crave: Consoles, Phones etc…

Also, with Hacking becoming increasingly more widespread, things like an ‘always on’ camera linked to user accounts starts to ask even more questions! :)

#60 1 year ago
  61. Djoenz

PS3 eyetoy cam nonsense might do the same.
    The cameras can gather info as in your height/length etc. But also preferrences somehow.

Dont ask me how or the techy side but I think its how they can also accustom ads to certain players.

Like it can even distinguish different ppl from eachother..

I might be talking outta my ass oh and sorry for my bad english typing.

Im dutch.

#61 1 year ago
  62. G1GAHURTZ

@60:

I already have an ‘always on’ camera attached to a media device in my home.

In fact, I have 2 looking at me right now.

My webcam on my laptop, and my front camera on my iPad.

They’re both always on, because all it takes is for any application that uses them to open, and they instantly activate.

I have Kinect, btw. But since I’ve decided to take a break from gaming, recently, I’ve disconnected my 360. I never had a problem with it, or with the Wii sensor (although it’s not a camera), and if, for some reason I did want to make sure it wasn’t working, all it should take is a simple turning off of the power at the mains.

Like I said before, I really don’t think it’s likely that MS will use this to spy on millions of gamers.

#62 1 year ago
  63. salarta

Keeping in mind these are just rumors and could be completely wrong, my impressions.

The always-on internet connection isn’t an issue unless some really bad errors occur if the internet connection cuts out, or if it asks for way too much bandwidth. Even then, as some others have said, you could probably just turn off the device.

Mandatory installation is tricky. It forces people that may want to immediately play a game to wait through an installation process that could take a long, long time. Even if most people already do installs, there are at least a few that wouldn’t like it. It could also be frustrating if you want to bring a game to a friend’s house for one night and you have to wait for it to install for the one night you’re going to play it. And of course, if this is part of a scheme to prevent used games from being played on consoles, that changes the mandatory install direction into something much. much worse.

But I think the worst of the list is requiring Kinect Sensor to always be on. For one, that’s like forcing an iphone user to always have Siri on; sometimes, people don’t want to use a feature and prefer more traditional operation. And for another, far more important issue: webcam spying.

I only quickly glanced at the most recent comments, but most of them seem to be obsessed with the idea of Microsoft spying on consumers in their own homes. That’s not the real risk. The real risk is the rest of society. Webcams can and have been used to spy on people, even take photos of them. This has especially been a problem for women, who have had their webcams hacked so that perverted techies can look at them naked and even save and spread pictures of them online without the woman ever knowing. “So what, that just means women have to wear some damn clothes” you might say, but even if we ignore that risk, there’s also the risk of potential thieves using the webcam of the Kinect Sensor to scope out a place before breaking in. Wanna know if anyone is home, how many dogs they have, if they leave a certain door or window unlocked, even what the code is on the security system, just hack the webcam and watch and listen to every detail. It may not even require actual hacking; depending on what options are available, someone invited into the house could set it up so that they have remote access to webcam view when the owner is out of the room without the owner knowing.

Even if Microsoft had the best measures imaginable to prevent and counteract that risk, even if there’s a 100% chance the webcam of the Kinect Sensor could not be used that way, what people think is a different story. You can have a perfect system, there are a lot of people that would still assume the webcam could be used that way, and because of that would absolutely refuse to get the system. The only people I know that have webcams will either unplug them or obscure them with tape or some object when they’re not using their webcams for this very reason, and that’s when they’re doing work at a computer. Imagine perception when you’re introducing an always-on camera into the living room or bedroom, assuming the latter isn’t where the computer already is. This is a problem Wii does not have with its sensors because those are sensors, not full-fledged cameras.

#63 1 year ago
  64. OlderGamer

I don’t want to get too caught up in more rumours. If MS do end up doing most of these things, and I think some of them are plausable…I will just ignore their system. Was leaning that way anyways. So tired of their tactics.

#64 1 year ago
  65. DrDamn

“Mandatory installation is tricky.”

Similar to the PS4 the idea is that games will allow you to start playing shortly after installation starts, and will then continue installing in the background while you play.

#65 1 year ago
  66. salarta

@65: Good point, I forgot about that. Though I could still see it raising some issues if people had to delete content from the system just to temporarily add other content.

#66 1 year ago
  67. monkeygourmet

Just to clarify as as soon as you mention ‘privacy / security’ or ‘human rights’, people seem to jump on you and the ‘conspiracy theorist / tin foil hat’ comments start flying…

I think (from what i’ve seen of MS’s focus this gen), advertising and DLC will play a huge part of the 720. I think Kinect 2.0 will play a huge role in that also.

Secondly, having an always on camera creates more risk when it comes to hacking, as other posters have mentioned.

I understand what you are saying G1GA, there’s easily enough tech in everyday usage that can be abused given the right circumstances.

Im more suspicious of advertising from this perspective and how that has an impact on gaming. We have already seen a huge push from MS regarding this with the 360. Youtube video’s used to be advert free etc…

It all chips away at people’s expectations IMO, the more you get used to it, the further they push things.

The gaming landscape is changing rapidly, and to be honest, im not really sure I like what i’m seeing.

Still on the fence with the PS4 & 720 until I see more, but at the moment, the Wii U looks like the last machine that resembles a ‘console’ as I like to think of them. And thats only because of Nintendo’s shitty online infrastructure im sure! ;)

#67 1 year ago
  68. polygem

hey guys from my wiiu friends list:
    since you´re here – just in case you´ve sent me messages and cock drawings that i didn´t answer yet.
    i am a douche. i traded in my wiiu. trading in consoles is a tradition i actually wanted to get rid off – but here i am doing it again. always end up rebuying them again at some point though :) i know it´s stupid, but let´s just call it a weird hobby.
    wiiu was a fun ride…but i really want to downshift in gaming. this is haunting me for a year or two now. sick of owning all those stuff. too many games. not enough time. i love gaming deeply but there are so many other things i also like. they all eat up my time and show no mercy. owning all the consoles just makes me want to play all the great games for it. tbh, this started to really stress me.
    next gen i wont go multiplat. i never want to stop playing games but i want to focus. what next gen is cooking really is interesting for me in this regard. i will look closeley and then make a choice i am planning to stick with. since i love nintendo, i really wish they will go software only at some point so i can enjoy nintendo magic (lol) without needing to own several consoles-eventhough that would mean failure in the hardware department for them probably and i don´t want that to happen to them, or start to get more third party on board finally.

#68 1 year ago
  69. DarkElfa

The fact is, that this has been around long enough and the connotations are negative enough that MS would have said Not true.

No comment is what companies say to avoid admitting to something.

#69 1 year ago
  70. monkeygourmet

LOL turn-coat!

I’ve just re-purchased a PS Vita Poly, no need to explain yourself. :)

My PSN is monkeygourmet (add me for some Soul Sacrifice multiplayer!)

Have kept the Wii U for the Nintendo exclusives. Then 720 first next gen and a PS4 sometime in the future.

Basically the same as I did this gen with; 360 (multiplats) – Wii (exclusives) – PS3 (exclusives).

Thats a good combo I think! :D

#70 1 year ago
  71. Gadzooks!

#69

MS do not comment on speculation or rumour, when asked to or not. It’s their stock response, or lack of one.

We’ll find out all the details in a few weeks at the official announcement but we’re not going to see confirmations or denials before then.

#71 1 year ago
  72. monkeygourmet

Also, as mentioned earlier, Sony still haven’t shown all their card’s in this department either.

It’s one of those things that both companies would love to do, but neither want to be the first to announce.

#72 1 year ago
  73. DrDamn

Having read the full text I’m a bit dubious as to the authenticity. Wording is a bit amateur in places. The wording doesn’t seem to fit the context either. Not saying it’s fake definitely, but seems a bit odd in places.

There are also links off the main page to Durango Spec, Alpha kit, Beta kit – but they aren’t covered by the article. Why not? Even if it is to confirm what they’ve already said you’d think they would be included.

#73 1 year ago
  74. OlderGamer

Understood Poly. I can’t do that because if i did my wife would shoot me. I still use my WiiU almost daily. I am planning on staying with WiiU and PC going forward. I might get a PS4 after it has been out a while and has shown what it can do and what it deliver. I am NOT currently interested in the NxtXbx.

I am at a point where I hate just about everything. There are still games that I enjoy. Most of them are PC games. I do enjoy the GamePad for WiiU, I think it adds a much needed dimension to gaming.

I don’t have the too many games and I play too much problem that some of you folks have. I used to. But now it is just the oppesite. Finding a game to hold my interest is hard, esp amoung the new games. Most the games I want to play are older, or like I said, on PC.

This is the lest excited I have ever been for a new gen of consoles. Part of me just doesn’t care. So much hype, so much the same ole shit.

I still enjoy what I enjoy so I still play.

If I were you poly, I would examine why you keep trading in systems/games AND then rebuying them later. Trading them in is one thing, buying them again months later is just plan silly. And I think it speaks of a bigger issue…you are struggling with gaming. They prolly don’t satisfy you. But they have always been a crutch to lean on. I know because I have been there before.

My advice: Stop wasting your cash. Buy the systems. Keep the systems. Focus on the games you want to play. Really the hardware doesn’t matter, the games do. And once some big name first party Nintendo games roll out, you know you will want them. Best to keep your Wiiu. When Desteny rolls out, you know you are going to want that too. So best to have a system for that.

Best to keep them instead of buying and rebuying them two or three times. Like I said focus on the games. And if they don’t do it for you…might wanna rethink yourself asto what kind of gamer you are or want to be. You can be a gamer w/o owning the latest, greatest, new release. But you have to be able to handle the hype and not cave in lol.

Good luck man.

#74 1 year ago
  75. nollie4545

You’re afraid of a bloody camera, whatever next. Put some blu-tack on the thing.

As for installation, as I stated earlier, it is this simple: faster load times and no need to rely on multiple DVDs which aren’t big enough to hold a game these days.

Why would you fork out the money for a next gen console and then have last gen load times?

Installation means faster gaming and less optical drive use. Yes they will put a big HDD in the thing so you can install hundreds of games with no problem, mechanical HDDs are dirt cheap.

#75 1 year ago
  76. CPC_RedDawn

If this is true, then bye bye Xbox.

Always online is just retarded! Game installs are a joke. I bet they package it with a 500GB HDD which with new games that will have massive amounts of audio, textures, etc and be on 25-50GB Blu Ray discs you will fill that pretty quickly. Also, not forgetting the updates and the OS that they will cram in there too. Look at the 20GB Xbox 360, the 20GB was formatted to 13.5GB!

Also the fact they are forcing Kinect onto us is insane.

Like I said IF THIS TRUE then Microsoft can fuck off. But then again, what aren’t Sony telling us either. Maybe the PS4 is always online as well but they just have not told us.

#76 1 year ago
  77. Samoan Spider

@76 But thats just the point, Sony hasn’t told us much at all tbh, and MS have told us NOTHING. MS could surprise you with a 1TB hard drive. Lets face it, almost every consumer Tivo box has a 1TB drive in it so its not like cost is an issue. No one is forcing anything on you. If after the announcement you don’t like it, don’t buy but no point getting worked up with no actual facts on show.

Edit: Are you not always online now? And do you not install all xbox games now? (foolish if you don’t, its faster and quieter) so really I don’t see how you can be put out if you have a current gen console.

#77 1 year ago
  78. OlderGamer

As far as extra storage, I think it would be a shame if the new systems didn’t allow external HHDs to be connected. I can use 2TB external for my WiiU.

Makes more sense then having the same ole marry go round with limited storage space. However I bet a lot of systems where moved this gen while using bigger “limited” edition bundles with larger HDDS. Hell I even bought a FF 250GB XB360 bundle myself.

IMO, they should allow you to connect anyold off the shelf HDD External.

Problem solved. Er, mostly anyways. Once upon a time we purchased Mem Card. If we can use any extrernal HDD that is a win win.

#78 1 year ago
  79. polygem

#79 1 year ago
  80. salarta

@75: Of course people are afraid of a camera. It has a lot of power. It’s why crooked cops try to get them shut off ASAP so they can get away with corrupt practices more easily, and of course the Steubenville rape case probably would have never been taken with the gravity it has if cameras were not involved to provide evidence. That’s cases when cameras are good, but there are also plenty where they can be bad.

Saying to put something on it to cover it isn’t that helpful either. You have lazy people that would leave it connected and uncovered even when not in use, and on the flip side, covering it or detaching it means you have to uncover or reattach it every time you want to use it. And those steps STILL wouldn’t handle the “potential thieves scoping out a place by hacking the webcam” situation. Person hacks webcam, they can still spy on the person while the system is in use because if the rumors are true (they may not be), users are forced to keep it on and use it at all times when the system is in use.

Obviously I’m not saying “ban all the cameras,” but the point is that absolutely requiring the Kinect Sensor camera to be on and used at all times with the system brings a great deal of risk, when an alternative option for control available that does not require the camera could minimize a lot of that risk.

#80 1 year ago
  81. zinc

^ Microsoft do NOT care what colour underpants you wear when gaming. No one does :-S

This whole “kinnect will spy on u!” is ludicrous!

#81 1 year ago
  82. salarta

^ Not meaning to sound harsh, but please read my comment for more than a glance first if you are going to reply to it.

I said hackers and potential thieves, not Microsoft.

#82 1 year ago
  83. nollie4545

To be honest, if someone is going to rob you, they will already have some idea of what is in your property without having to resort to using the internet and Xbox Live to scout you out first. Either that or you have the kind of criminals in your area who spend more time planning crimes than actually carrying them out.

The idea that somehow MS will be using the camera for market research is a joke. Hmm, how tall is the player? Shall we market him some long jeans rather than plain regular? lolz.

Online always is hardly new, most XBL players get nosebleeds and cry the moment they get disconnected anyway. As for installs, well stop your bitching.

#83 1 year ago
  84. salarta

@83: You’re thinking of scouting as in “what valuables might be in the house for me to take.” I’m referring to scouting as “what is the best time to break into this person’s house without getting caught, what windows or doors might be left unlocked, what’s the code for the security system.” There are a lot of factors that hacking a webcam could help a would-be criminal figure out and plan for, and when there’s an obvious risk of going to jail or worse, it would be pretty stupid for someone not to try to plan it out.

#84 1 year ago
  85. zinc

@82, I stand by my statement .

In fact theirs more cases of webcams identifying burglers, than being the enemy within.

A smart crook simply checks your facebook page if they want to know where your at.

#85 1 year ago
  86. ManuOtaku

I jsut hope the always connected online for single players do not traverse to the final product, i mean the console, that is a big no in my book, the same for sony or nintendo if they took the same thing.

Besides this i dont have a problem with mandatory installations, well i have one i hope is not like ps3 that only allows you to save them on the internal hard disx instead of an external one, i hope microsoft let you save the data in external devices,as for the kinect iam happy with version 1.o, i think i will be happy with version 2.o too

#86 1 year ago
  87. salarta

@85: Stand by your statement or not, you were claiming I said something that I didn’t. That’s especially annoying because I don’t think Microsoft would be using the Kinect to spy on people either, but apparently I would have to explicitly say that if I don’t want other people to decide what my opinions are for me then denounce me supposedly having the opinions they decided I have.

As for the rest. Saying “there are more cases of this thing than that thing” would, except in rare obvious cases, require actual numbers to back it up. I make no claims of how common or uncommon webcams being hacked for criminals and peeping toms is, only that it’s been done before and poses a very real risk that could become worse if the Kinect Sensor is approached the way the rumors are suggesting.

And like nollie, you’re assuming a very limited scope for scouting out a person: whether or not they’re home. As I’ve pointed out multiple times, hacking a webcam can do far more than just tell you if someone’s home. If that’s your only goal, you can hide out near the house, watch from outside and unknowingly get a lot more useful information besides just whether or not they’re home.

You’re also assuming every single person in the world that uses social media spends all their time telling everyone exactly where they are at every second of the day, and that’s an absurd assumption to make. There are people like that, but not everyone. It probably isn’t even a majority that do it.

#87 1 year ago
  88. Fin

poly trading in his Wii U?

What’s next, Erth saying 30fps on cur gen consoles is ok?

#88 1 year ago
  89. Dark

edge source says the documents are real

Source after source is confirming the same thing wow.

#89 1 year ago
  90. Fin

It’s definitely real.

Bit outdated though, I’d imagine – stuff like this is in flux up until the annoucement (and even after, up until the hardware is shipped).

#90 1 year ago
  91. Djoenz

People that dont give a shit about this are retards.
    People that bitch about people that bitch about this are retards.

Its about the principles. The way they force shit! If it were optional there was no problem.

You sheeple may be fine with this but dont bitch about people tht are genuinely worried. After all discussing debating about this is what game sites is all about.

Pfff.

Mandatory installs no biggie? I’ll just buy a new HDD cause its dirtcheap. Lmao they should include it. So give me the full package at least.

This nextbox better have a 1tb HDD and if it has less I should be able to do replace it easily with any HDD whatsoever or better yet support external HDD’s.

Fact is Im bound to it or need to add/buy additional shit and that is just plain wrong imo.

Didnt the first set of xbox’s came out without included wifi adapters? Same.principles.

Tolerate this and it will only get worse.
    Same for PS4..

I might go STEAMBOX!!!!

#91 1 year ago
  92. nollie4545

You guys are delusional. Seriously, whatever next, criminals spying on you using your xbox camera. Like a house burglary justifies the time and effort involved in the herculean task of hacking Xbox live, then getting through to your exact console just so someone can find out what colour your knickers are. FFS typical Americans living in fear of bad guys, better start taking a gun to school and armour plating your house, just to be sure. Jesus, if I wanted to know what time your house is likely to be empty, I’d just watch the front door for a few days and wait till you left. Better yet, I’d walk into the NSAs HQ and just borrow a satellite for a day or two sure they won’t mind…

As for external HDDs, yeah great. Of course if you knew jack all about USB mass storage you’d realise how bloody slow it is and again that internal SATA HDDs are faster, which takes us back to the original point- they want you to install games because it enhances your experience of their product. Not because they want to totally control your daily lives and really jerk you off. As I said, mechanical HDDs are dirt cheap these days, 1TB internal should be ample even for the most cynical console fanboi.

As for always online, jeez, what a deal breaker, it isn’t like most 360′s arent chained to the freaking wall anyway, just like your fucking cable or set top box, or landline telephones, devices which have been ‘always online’ for decades without complaint.

And to add it all the goon complains about both Xbox and PS4 and then states he might buy the steam box, which sure as hell will be more online based than any other platform. Backward much?

#92 1 year ago
  93. Richenbaum

@#92 How many people that are upset about this are also the same people that whine about 360s having games with multiple discs too?

#93 1 year ago
  94. zinc

@92, +1

@91, Is it mandatory that you buy this *rumoured* product? No? Then stop whining & object with your wallet * if* true.

@87, I’m sorry, but the fact remains… No-one wants to see you in your undercrackers.

#94 1 year ago
  95. N2O1990

That always means Durango will implement different power states so that it can “always be powered on”, but will draw minimal electricity when not in use.

Not sure why people think always on=always online,not even the same thing

#95 1 year ago
  96. woe

superDaE the person who got arrested for leaking 720 info is saying that all VGLeaks documents are old

#96 1 year ago
  97. Dragon246

More confirmation guys, Edge is reporting this report is accurate and from LATE LAST YEAR, so most probably present in final build, as there is very little time to change a major component now, since they are incorporating always-on fully and hardware is based around that.

And Edge was probably the only one which correctly said Sony was planning to upgrade PS4 to 8GB GDDR5 Ram. So they have been very reliable.

As I said earlier, thanks MS for saving my money.

#97 1 year ago
  98. polygem

@88: i never was the platform fanboy others made me here. never ever was. i love good games not platforms. no matter how often i repeated that. some people here just dont listen or only hear what they want to…what can you do?

#98 1 year ago
  99. N2O1990

#97
    The XDK never said no used games
    The XDK never said required online
    The “Always on,Always connected” part not even talking about require online,only talking about background updates and low power mode.

And in fact,something like require online or not and block used games or not are mostly about software,very little time to change?it’s super easy to change,they can even change them few hours before they announce the console.

Hell,even some peoples on page 1 already pointed out that…

#99 1 year ago
  100. Dragon246

@Fin,
    :D

@99,
    I never said otherwise, just pointed out the report. We can just wait i-2 more months to get all confirmations.

#100 1 year ago
  101. Gadzooks!

#99

Save your breath. That one is a well known Sony-loyal troll. It was never going to consider anything other than a Sony machine, regardless of the specs.

#101 1 year ago
  102. DrDamn

@Gadzooks!
    I don’t remember this furore with WiiConnect24

That’s essentially what Always on, Always connected means. It’s a *feature*. A useful one at that.

#102 1 year ago
  103. Djoenz

Were you referring to me? Cause I never complained about the always online aspect.

You delusional sheep. MicroMuff and their Nextboxthreetitty ftw.

Steambox yay!
    Ok sorry im at work and kinda bored. But if im not mistaken I think you Nollie are a major xbot fanboy.

Im a sony fanboy so nice to meet you ;)
    Im not always online btw sometimes I shut down my wireless router when I go to bed etc.

#103 1 year ago
  104. monkeygourmet

I can’t believe Dragon had the gall to complain about WOE posting news stories regarding Sony, when he’s pretty much a one man advertising man for the brand.

Same old, same old.

Exactly, kind of proven with the 3DS. Holds a shit load of amazing JRPG’s and other solid classics, but won’t purchase one because it’s region locked…

Boo Hoo, just buy a jap system, or would it stick in his throat actually enjoying another system…

#104 1 year ago
  105. bitsnark

I would agree with you, but the current train of thought is that Durango’s proposed connectivity means that the console is effectively totally useless without it (unlike the Wii and the Wiiconnect 24 example where the console can still be used offline regardless).

#105 1 year ago
  106. Gadzooks!

#102

Indeed. I can’t see any downsides to it.

There are plenty of times I’ve kicked off a download via the XBL website and wished it had downloaded to my console ready for me when I get home.

Now it will. Tidy.

Oh no, hang on a sec. Sony didn’t come up with the idea, thus it is inherently evil and will give bunnies AIDS. Cute bunnies too, not tyrants like General Woundwort.

#106 1 year ago
  107. Djoenz

If what @105 is saying is fact (no one is sure) a lot of ppl are kinda screwed.

Ive seen other forums talking about this and a lot of people in brazil or mexico and other places with weak internet connection are fucked.

#107 1 year ago
  108. Gadzooks!

#105 and 107

Do you honestly believe that any platform holder would produce a machine that doesn’t work without a net connection?

Of course not. No rational person would.

#108 1 year ago
  109. Djoenz

Ofcourse.not hence I myself never complained about the.DRM aspect lol.
    I only complained about the mandatory installs.

The only reason I will never buy a xbox is because of the online subscriptions. I wish they just removed tht shit.

Im a sony fanboy but if sony did this I would have complained as well. Doesnt matter which platform it is.

#109 1 year ago
  110. bitsnark

Oh hell no, it would be suicide. I was merely remarking as to where the rumour mill was spinning at the minute.

But yeah, like you, I don’t see it becoming reality. At all.

#110 1 year ago
  111. N2O1990

#111 1 year ago
  112. monkeygourmet

He also called VGLeaks out on quite a few things earlier.

R.E Sources and recycling old news.

#112 1 year ago
  113. Dragon246

I cant believe MG is thinking he is important enough for MS to spy. A dog would have been a better choice for MS to do that.
    Same old, same old.

Rumor mills spew things all over the place so that at least something sticks. Just wait for the official thing.

#113 1 year ago
  114. deathm00n

@107 Exactly, I live in Brazil, the internet here is so bad and in weekends it’s hard to stay online all the time. So yes, if any console require always on they are a no go for me. It’s already bad wanting to play your multiplayer games and being blocked for having a slow connection, imagine being blocked from using the console. If you are wondering how slow the connection is: I have the best connection I can have in my town (we don’t have optical fiber yet) my download speed is 254kbps tops, in 1 hour I download 700mb. And I pay for this connection almost 100BRL (50 USD)

#114 1 year ago
  115. Djoenz

I was happy for brazil when I heard gaming industry went bigger in your country. Im sorry to hear about your internet connection there.

I hope it gets better in the near future bro.

#115 1 year ago
  116. deathm00n

@115 We hope for it too. But yeah, gaming is growing, I’m going to do a scientific iniciation in the college about gaming for education. The government is now learning that games are a big industry. Yet the majority of population still see gamers as imature people.

#116 1 year ago
  117. nollie4545

#103

No I am not an Xbox or PS4 fan boy. I have a 360 and a PC. I would not rate one platform over any other.

#117 1 year ago
  118. jonjonjonj

isn’t win rt the arm version of windows for tablets? isn’t the xbox x64? why would ms waste time porting the arm version of win rt to use on a x64 hardware when they already have a x64 version of windows? do they have an arm cpu that is strictly for the os? if thats the case then i get it other then that i’m confused.

#118 1 year ago