Carmageddon: Reincarnation goes next-gen thanks to $3.5 million investment

Wednesday, 20th March 2013 11:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Carmageddon: Reincarnation developer Stainless Games is taking its next instalment in the brutal racing franchise next-gen, thanks to a sizeable $3.5 million investment from Bullfrog founder Les Edgar.

GI.biz reports that Edgar’s contribution sits on top of the $625,000 earned through the Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter campaign last year.

Reacting to the news, CEO of Stainless Games Patrick Buckland said, “We are delighted to have fully funded Carmageddon: Reincarnation without having to go outside of the collective of our own company, shareholders and fans.

“It allows us to maintain a true independence and creative control whilst not having to compromise quality or content by budgetary constraints. For an independent, privately owned company to achieve this, is a testament to our strength and to the loyalty of our fans.”

Edgar also explained his contribution “I have always had a great belief in Stainless, and I really admire their continued success as one of the leading indie dev studios. The Carmageddon name is one we all want to see rise again, and I know that in the hands of its original creators, we’re bound to get the best out of the brand.”

Are you excited to see the game given such an almighty boost? Let us know below.

1. V

happy norooz………… :)

2. The_Red

Hope the increased budget (And possibly interference) doesn’t result in censorship when it comes to certain aspects of Carmageddon.

3. Gadzooks!

This is brilliant news. Just don’t ruin it with a story and cutscenes and shit. Just deliver great gameplay with a smooth engine. No frills.

4. laggass

Yes!!!! Amazing news, really looking forward to this game. Hope its similar to carma2 but with next gen visuals and gubbins.

5. No_PUDding

I know this is incredibly negative.

We don’t make certain types of games anymore, because they are superseded. How could you possibly make Carmageddon relevant again? And even if you could, why at this point would you? Make a new IP.

That is not $3.5mil spent well. And I LOVE Carmageddon(especially TDR2000).

6. The_Red

I know this is probably not a safe investment but Carma’s gameplay IS relevant. The gameplay of original Carma and Carma2 still holds up today. I may be biased but I’d put original Carmageddon near Burnout 3/R as one of THE most fun racers of all time.

7. Stardog

“I LOVE Carmageddon(especially TDR2000)”

You love Carmageddon, especially the crappy one that wasn’t even made by the people who made the first 2.

Opinion void. The opposite of your opinion is true.

8. ps3fanboy

goes next-gen it says and not a word about ps4/x720…. what a fail.

9. Pytox

yea tdr 2000 was not great, the first one was the best

10. DSB

I must be one of the few who consider Carmageddon 2 the ultimate one. For me it’s one of the best sandboxes that I can remember playing.

It was just pure, stupid fun.

11. xxJPRACERxx

YES. 1 and 2 were the best!

12. ArithonUK

I think this is actually bad news.

It means the PC version, the game’s roots and the whole point of “Carmageddon:Reincarnation” may suffer, or be modified to fit the limitations and expectations of consoles.

I signed up for the KickStarter to get a PC game. I will be contacting Stainless for assurances they will work on, and finish, the PC version before embarking on any console ports.

Carmageddon was, without doubt, the best game of the series. The second game and sequels had slighter better graphics, but the core elements of the game, plus the irreverent humour had been weeded out, making the sequels far inferior.

13. powerbuoy

Hope the increased budget and the tech of next gen means we’ll see some proper soft body physics for the cars, dismemberment of bodies and all around incredible physics. Rendering wise it doesn’t need to look better than current gen racing games imo.

14. No_PUDding

Well in my opinion TDR2000 was superb actually. I had literally months of fun. Unlocking cars, and finding secret areas.

But my point is, I have a certain nostalgia for that game, but it can’t be recreated. They were all of their time, and car combat is really one of them most redundant of concepts.

I mean, Robot Wars hasn’t been on TV for ages.

15. DSB

As long as kids build stuff out of lego, put wheels on them, and rejoice in driving them head-on into eachother so they smash into a million pieces, Carmageddon will still be very relevant.

Let’s not pretend like the racing genre isn’t in a state of almost complete devolution. Criterion has you racing in essentially a straight line and hoping you won’t notice, while Codemasters are trying to make you believe that your car has no interior features.

I don’t think there’s ever been a better time for some good old fashioned vehicular mayhem.

16. No_PUDding

That’s quite a load of tosh.

How is what young kids do relevant to a franchise that has always firmly been in the mature bracket? I think that comment is less reinforcing the demand for car-combat and more understating the versatility of Lego.

And how is a series that’s last release was over a decade ago, and (judging by reaction here at least) not received well, relevant in any form in this day and age?

As a sole concept goes, car combat is tired.

17. zinc

Release on android/ios with same pricing as Real Racing.

18. DSB

@16 Game mechanics aren’t that different from any other form of playing, even if that seems to be forgotten wisdom these days. Carmageddon 2 was all about breaking stuff and having fun doing it. It was incredibly effective.

When is the last time you had a proper vehicle combat game? With garbage like Twisted Metal “leading the charge” it’s no wonder there’s no interest. You kinda have to have a serious crack at it if you want results.

Any concept can be made to seem tired if you put fuck all into it, but then you’re really just fulfilling your own prophecy. Obviously 20,000 people were willing to fund this one sight unseen.

19. SplatteredHouse

“But my point is, I have a certain nostalgia for that game, but it can’t be recreated.”

I thought the intent was to create a new Carmageddon, from which they could grow the franchise anew, while taking the best of the originals (they released C1+exp to GoG catering for nostalgia/awareness)…So, I’m not quite sure how recreating nostalgia with Reincarnation comes into things?

20. No_PUDding

I appreciate you have more faith than I do.

But the fact we’ve had conventional play mechanics for thousands of years and we’re still not making consistently good games means it’s not all as trivial and you make it sound.

The crux of it for me, is that it’s a shame one guy chose to support the development of a game that is so creatively devoid of value, in such a big way.

21. SplatteredHouse

#20: “support the development of a game that is so creatively devoid of value”

Sorry. What? I don’t even know where to start with that. Help me out here. How is it that? It’s your opinion, fine, but that view towards a new project (which is what Reincarnation is – it isn’t some retread!) doesn’t make much sense to me.

22. DSB

@20 Creative “value” isn’t exactly a scientific quantity. I would assume your argument was really based on things like sales and publisher interest, which are both impacted by quite a few variables.

Something like Need for Speed is apparently worthy of two games every year, but that doesn’t exactly make it either bright or original.

“Creative value” is just another way of saying “Stuff I like”, so I don’t see anything to suggest that it won’t have some real value to him and those 20,000 early backers.

23. SplatteredHouse

@22: I’d point to Tomb Raider as a nearer example of what he’s describing (although I do not say that as any stain against the game, or knock against the quality. It simply appears to be a description that fits, and perhaps highlights the difference in opinion.)

24. AgentGreasy

I would say arguing whether or not building the most common elements of “fun” as it would be discovered in the most simple of common children games, has little place in a judgement against the videogames industry. The reality is, there are indie developers out there releasing games on Steam and other platforms almost daily, that are better than the gamut of the rest of the industry. It’s a stain found easily in more than just our industry; movies, music, even the news has been on a downward trend filled with what used to be regarded as useless information.

Nostalgia or not, the old has outlived the new. We strive to jailbreak consoles and devices, so that we may put emulators for our favorite console games of two decades ago. We have droves of exceptionally intelligent people that spend unpaid time to get old vaporware games running on the latest operating systems. And, we hopelessly compare modern incarnations to our nostalgic memories, whether they were stated to be, or not be, like them.

Easy or difficult has nothing to do with it. If people can develop next gen engines that stretch the limits of current hardware displaying unnecessarily overpowered graphics, they can handle building an interesting game. Don’t blame developers for decisions they’re not allowed to make, in an industry that hasn’t wanted anything to do with the game itself once the name is enough to sell the title. EA didn’t buy Maxis, they bought the Sims and all of the other IP that came with it. They didn’t buy Bioware, they bought all of the contracts allowing use of Lucasarts property.

25. No_PUDding

I made it readily apparent it was my opinion.

But yeah, I’d say it’s as bad as there being a Need for Speed each year.

The difference is, the NFS series and the developer that creates it, is driven by business as opposed to creativity.

And when Stainless/Ex-VP-of-EA has 3.5 mil to spare, it’s a shame (to me) it gets wasted on something so tired and unprogressive.

#25 1 year ago