Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter hits target, Garriott adds stretch goals

Tuesday, 19th March 2013 12:45 GMT By Dave Cook

Richard Garriot’s Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter campaign has succeeded, making $1,025,824
of its of $1,000,000 goal with 19 days left spare. The developer has now added stretch goals into the mix.

The campaign page has now been updated with stretch goals.

At $1.1 million the team at Portalarium will add a pet system to the RPG, and at $1.2 million it will add in a seasonal weather mechanic, there will be more tiers added if it hits $1.3 million.

The developer has also bolstered its funding tiers with many new goodies and rewards. Hit the link above to see the extensive list.

What do you make of Shroud of the Avatar? Is it worth backing? Let us know below.

Thanks PC Gamer.

1. _LarZen_

“What do you make of Shroud of the Avatar? Is it worth backing?”

Personally I don’t think so. He was the “king” back when Ultima was great but today not so much. His latest projects has been utter crap.

I would not back this project and have no faith that it will be any good.

2. KernelPanic

I backed this project. It looks very promising and it takes Richard back to his ‘roots’. I didn’t experience his latest projects (I heard Tabula Rasa was crap) so I’m willing to give him another opportunity. And the fact that he and the team listen to backer input should deliver a game which most people will be fond of although it won’t turn into an MMO. But we’ll be able to own a house again. ^^

3. GrimRita

Isnt this game guy that almost brought NC Soft to its knees with that failed MMO Tabula Rasa?

4. Gnosis

@3: Yup, he was one of the former Ultima designers, who were partially working on Tabula Rasa. Although the whole story about who’s responsible for the failure is very, well, obscure. In the end both parties tried to cut each others throats at the court, so… yeah.
    But aside from that, it’s also the guy, who created the Ultima series and I’m guessing, that’s what ppl want from him. A good Ultima game.

5. DSB

Great. Not only is the guy a multi-millionaire, but now you have shit like this:

I hold every backer of that Kickstarter individually responsible. You suck!

6. nollie4545

Jesus, that guy is a cock. Not only that but why is a multi-millionaire using kickstarter? Hasn’t he got a vintage car he can borrow against or something? Kind of beats the idea of kickstarter which is helping the little guy get a great idea off the ground, not fund a millionaires wet dream hit the sheets.

7. YoungZer0

“I’ve met virtually no one…who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am.”

O-Wohoww.

So this Shroud of the Avatar, is it some kind of iPhone game?

8. DSB

@6 The guy spent 30 million dollars of his own money to visit the international space station, but he’d sure appreciate it if you could spare 25 dollars to make his new game.

9. nollie4545

DSB, that is unreal. What a son of a bitch.

10. DSB

@9 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Manor

I could keep going with this shit :P

11. KernelPanic