Walking Dead: Survival Instinct launch trailer is go, watch it here

Monday, 18th March 2013 17:02 GMT By Dave Cook

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct is out tomorrow in the States and there isn’t a review in sight. But there is a new launch trailer that shows a little bit more than we’ve seen before. I use the word ‘little’ with great emphasis.

You can check out my interview with developer Terminal Reality here, where I question just why we’ve not seen much of the game actually running. Share your thoughts with us beyond the link.

The game’s out tomorrow on PC, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U tomorrow in the States, and from March 22 across Europe.

1. redwood

am gonna be the cynic and say this game might just suck..

#1 1 year ago
  2. Hcw87

Anyone with the slightest clue about gaming allready know this game sucks. Watch the first 20 mins of the game on youtube if you don’t believe me.

Shameless cash-in on the popularity of the show and the XBLA game.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dragonborn

I can’t wait to get this game !
    Said no gamer ever ….

#3 1 year ago
  4. SplatteredHouse

Could be terrible…But doesn’t look awful throughout the trailer. A curiosity. For PC it’s going to use/be sold on Steam.

#4 1 year ago
  5. zinc

One for the Trophy whores, series fans and uninformed methinks.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Hcw87

8 mins of the game here:

And a 25mins one:

#6 1 year ago
  7. Takeshi

For those who want some gameplay: http://youtu.be/4PdgwFLa55A

I am definitely curious about it, love the TV show and the Tellatale game. Early on it sounded kind of interesting, but can’t say the trailer got me hyped just a bit.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Rafa_L

Really like the tv show, it’s my favorite, although I have my doubts about the direction the show went after midseason.

Liked the Telltale game, but didn’t think it was that good, it had good moments, but none related to my choices. I felt I had to draw inside the lines, I wanted more freedom, I wasn’t neither Lee or myself.

And this game… I don’t like FPS, but even so… I’m as cynical as most of the commenters here.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Beta

Reckon I’ll stick to the Telltale version..

#9 1 year ago
  10. manamana

It has “First Person Shooter” all over it, regardless what they are trying to tell. Plus it looks like it’s a fast cash-in on the series. No hope left, this thing will bomb.

#10 1 year ago
  11. SplatteredHouse

After seeing #6′s 25 mins of gameplay clip, the game still doesn’t look awful, but the combat looks distinctly lacking. For a game, even though the style does fit with the show. I’d be concerned about repetition in that regard.

The zombies there, outside of swarm situations don’t look as if they pose any real threat (although, maybe the placement is deliberate in that early level to ease into the game, before things get more perilous later in the game?)

On this evidence, though, there are some nice touches, such as the choose your own adventure style overworld travel between missions, and the idea of sending survivors off scavenging whilst you’re doing your objectives nearby. I’m not expecting a great showing for the full game, come review time…But, I’m not of the belief that Terminal Reality has done a poor job, either. Bring on the scores!

#11 1 year ago
  12. Wezzulus

Wow…What the hell is wrong with Merle’s face at the end.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Lengendaryboss

Most of Activision’s licenced games haven’t panned out well and i don’t expect The Walking Dead to change that trend the Devil has set upon itself :)

#13 1 year ago
  14. SplatteredHouse

IGN tweeted to say they’re not getting copies until tomorrow…They’ve not got as much as one hand to this game yet.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Phoenixblight

Typical tactics for publishers to do that when they know the game is horrible. They are hoping for first day sales.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Moonwalker1982

Not surprised about that at all. If this game was actually great, they sure would have spent some time on properly marketing it and showing it. They didn’t….not a good thing.

#16 1 year ago
  17. SplatteredHouse

http://www.tout.com/m/w0w0fv?ref=twyua2h0 < Terminal Reality record Q&A answers (if you start from the top, the series plays consecutively)

@15 I know what you're saying, and I'm well aware of that tendency, but I don't see a horrible game emerging here. You could just as easily attribute it to Activision's demonstrated level of interest outside of CoD/Blizz – unless, you'd like to comment on what's so horrible about the game, based on the early gameplay streams?

#17 1 year ago
  18. Phoenixblight

I have seen game-play videos and you would be better off just playing L4D2. The game is very shallow and no matter what the developer says the game is it is indeed a FPS and not a horror game. That is just talking about the mechanic the games overall environment,voice acting, is sub par at best. I am not even going to bother renting it, its that bad.

#18 1 year ago
  19. SplatteredHouse

@18 The game’s entirely singleplayer focused, so I’m not sure that comparisons to L4D are that clear-cut. Voice acting sounded good enough to me. In the trailer that was not the case, but in the full game it doesn’t sound nearly as forced or awkward.
    I’m not convinced enough to be interested in buying a copy, but I will check to see where the chips lie after the reviews are through with it. It could be dire, but that’s not the impression that I get from it. It may indeed fall apart on the shallowness of the gameplay. I mentioned that as a potential issue in my reply after seeing the 25 mins clip.

#19 1 year ago
  20. liamftwinter

I just completed this game in a whopping 49 minutes. It’s fairly fun, but it’s so, so short.

#20 1 year ago
  21. zinc

^ You’ve spelt first level wrong…

Right?

:-/

#21 1 year ago
  22. YoungZer0

… right? O:

#22 1 year ago
  23. liamftwinter

Sadly not, I should have said that’s without cutscenes or loading screens, I got from the start to the credits in 49 minutes of gameplay.

#23 1 year ago
  24. SplatteredHouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FsrzqJNQF8 < He's going to have to mark his TWD:SI review for major spoilers!

@23: that sounds amazing. They've pulled off a once in a generation feat, if that turns out to be around average playthrough time. @.@

#24 1 year ago
  25. manamana

@23 A speedrun will boil down to fifteen minutes, I guess? o.Ô

#25 1 year ago
  26. liamftwinter

@25 This was my third playthrough, it sped up the game time massively knowing where I was going and what I had to do, but my first play through with deaths, loading screens and cutscenes included lasted about 3 hours.

There’s no difficulty option, so the average playthrough time is going to be about 2-3 hours.

#26 1 year ago
  27. manamana

Thats impressive and sad at the same time…
    But is it fun? Playing though three times must at least give you back something then?

#27 1 year ago
  28. SplatteredHouse

That’s a setback, that there’s no difficulty option :( I thought there would be, after hearing the dev talking about replayability. That’s where I thought they would go with that. Instead, he was more likely hinting at/swerving around the game length.

#28 1 year ago
  29. liamftwinter

@27 It’s fun, for sure. It’s not going to blow your mind, but it’s a good way to kill some time. The game would have worked really well as a downloadable title with some sort of leaderboard system that timed how long you took to finish the game allowing for competition with friends.

This is a good game to pick up when it drops in price, the story is fairly pointless and becomes almost irrelevant after the 3rd mission, some of the references to the show are cool but that’s about all you’re going to get.

They have these things called relics that you can unlock by finishing the game in certain ways, you can then restart the game with one activated at a time, there’s stuff like unlimited ammo, silenced weapons and stronger melee to name a few. There’s some reasons to go back, but nothing major.

#29 1 year ago
  30. theevilaires

This game looks like shit and they know it will sell regardless. Just like Halo 3 looked like shit and they didn’t put effort into that. When things are popular you don’t have to work as hard to sell it.

#30 1 year ago
  31. SplatteredHouse

The thing with this game. Do you think that the developers were stifled by Activision setting a tight limit on time allotted/deadline? It was a theory put forward on a livestream. #29 seems to be right there about how the game turned out. Still interested to see how it’s received critically, though. Is it going to get near universal 5′s?

That would seem on a site like metacritic to do it a disservice, imo. Bound to be functionally worse games than something like this in the score range. This game could end up getting passed over – were it not for the license, which seems to be resonating, and drawing players.

#31 1 year ago