Thief allows for pacifist playthroughs

Monday, 18th March 2013 23:23 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Here’s a little blip we missed last week; in the same Eidos Montreal blog post where art director Nicolas Cantin backed off from his “less gothic, more mainstream” comments, the developer confirmed pacifist playthroughs are possible. “Players will have multiple ways to approach their objectives and each objective can be reached using Garrett’s various tools, by exploring and by playing with your environment. And yes, you can complete the game without killing anybody – Garrett is a Master Thief, not a killing machine.” Thief is expected on PC and next-generation platforms in 2014.

Thanks, Siliconera.

1. manamana

That is indeed a good thing.

2. YoungZer0

Considering the name of the game is “Thief” and not “Murderer” I’d argue that this should be a given.

3. manamana

A given, is not “a given” nowadays, if you know what I mean.

4. TheWulf

It depends on how much of that is actually true.

I think that the common consensus of the mainstream is that mainstream consumers aren’t bright enough to do anything other than clumsily point their controller in the direction of something before holding a button to fire, and that’s the limit of their desires and skills. I’m not saying that that’s the case – but when you look at mainstream games of late, you can see that this is obviously what publishers believe.

So I’ll believe it when I see it. I still don’t like their take on Garrett, either.

5. YoungZer0

“Dishonored claimed to allow for such too, didn’t it? And that turned out to be an absolute joke, as those who wanted a playthrough so violent it was almost fetishist got so many more tools than those who wanted to try to play the game any other way.”

So Dishonored kept its promise. What exactly where you looking for, more tools to knock someone out?

6. mreko3230

@4, @5 The most fun I had was going after the Mostly Flesh and Steel achievement where you don’t upgrade your powers. It made for a lot more challenging game and required you (most of the time) to try to sneak past your enemies.