Real Racing 3: “vocal minority” lashed out at micro-payments, EA believes “the market has spoken”

Monday, 18th March 2013 12:25 GMT By Dave Cook

Real Racing 3 has done big numbers since it launched, according to an infographic from publisher EA. You can see it here. Now, vice president of EA’s mobile and social studios Nick Earl has stated that the “market has spoken” and that only the “vocal minority” took issue with the game’s micro-payments to begin with.

Speaking with CNET, Earl said, “There’s no question that going freemium was the right way to go,” and added, “The vocal minority lashed out at freemium. We respect them and understand, but the market has spoken. That’s just where things are going.”

He stressed that the success of Real Racing 3 will make it a template for future EA mobile games suitable for the micro-payment model, which according to the publisher’s chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen, is all of them.

Real Racing 3 received high to cripplingly low scores when it released, suggesting a lot of critics took offence to the game’s micro-payment store front. See our round-up here.

Last week we saw Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 venture down the micro-payment path, and the shit-storm that surrounded Dead Space 3′s micro-payment model was well documented here.

It’s a changing tide. What do you think of it?

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Games based on micro transactions can only ever be profitable if the player is manipulated enough to feel the need to spend money.

I have no intention of letting EA manipulate me in any way, shape or form.

#1 1 year ago
  2. KineticCalvaria

Goddamn, who is this ‘market’, now because of them we’ll have micro-transactions in everything! Sigh.

#2 1 year ago
  3. mojo

just die ur inevitable death and stop moaning EA

#3 1 year ago
  4. The_Red

I find their sentence to be both:
    A. Disgusting
    B. True.

Their model for RR3 is beyond ugly but sadly, a LOT of people have spend LOTs of money on semi-”forced” in-game purchases…

#4 1 year ago
  5. zinc

I’ve no problem with micro-transactions with a freemium title. ALL freemiums do this, so giving EA grief for following an established ploy is daft at best.

BUT, when EA try the same tactic on a Premium title, that cost £40, for example, then they can go suck a dead dogs dick!

:-P

#5 1 year ago
  6. deathm00n

#5zinc
    18/03/13, 2:03 pm

Yeah, if there’s shit all around me I will contribute with more shit instead of trying to clean it up.

Freemium is simply wrong. There’s always someone losing, be it the ones who spend a lot of their money to be “better than you!” or the ones who doesn’t have the money to spend or doesn’t want to and end up not enjoying the game how it should be.

#6 1 year ago
  7. mojo

pls mods, admins or whoever is in charge:
    Autodelete posts that start with “Love my Job, since”
    seriously, it gets annoying!

#7 1 year ago
  8. JRNO

Good on them. I’m still not buying into this stuff.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Gheritt White

@6: Not sure you’re right about that, tbh – I don’t think any of EA’s F2P offerings rely on “pay-to-win” models… but I could be wrong.

Nobody likes paying to win, which is why you don’t find that mechanic in many F2P/MTX games anymore.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Cobra951

So many fools get separated from their money this way that voting with your dollars is moot. I don’t believe in constantly throwing money at a game to keep playing, not at home anyway. So I don’t do it. I don’t buy or even look at games that practically require it. It’s a personal choice, one that won’t change in the future regardless of where the likes of EA tries to take the market.

#10 1 year ago
  11. OlderGamer

Mods can’t touch this side of the site Mojo, or I would have been deleting that type of trash along time ago.

#11 1 year ago
  12. mistermogul

Why does everything EA say grate on me?

#12 1 year ago
  13. manamana

There we have it folks. The masses have voted. This is what the future will look like, no way back. Such a sad, sad industry.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DSB

It’s frustrating that hubris like this goes unpunished. It was a big moment when the banks got spanked by their customers in the US when they tried to cash in after the recession, but there’s just no limit to how many shit sandwiches games publishers are able to serve. At the end of the day we really do have the industry we deserve.

I’m starting to doubt whether I’ll be playing games 5 years from now. The creative merits still aren’t a priority, and instead of buying entertainment, it seems to be moving towards a choice between buying a storefront, or participating in some corporate welfare program through micro-transactions.

#14 1 year ago
  15. zinc

@15, I imagine that in 5 years time, the joy of gaming will be in getting *free* stuff, no strings attached.

#15 1 year ago
  16. DSB

I can’t think of a more effective way to ensure that videogames remain a second tier entertainment medium.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Cobra951

@16: If they take away every acceptable *legal* option, then yes indeed.

#17 1 year ago