Gears of War: Judgment micro-payments let you buy XP boosters

Monday, 18th March 2013 16:42 GMT By Dave Cook

Gears of War: Judgment offers players a wide range of vanity items, just like Gears of War 3, but the game also includes paid boosters which are new to the series.

I was going to mention the paid vanity items in my Gears of War: Judgment appraisal, but then I remembered that Gears of War 3 had them too. It’s just things like skins that make your character look like they’ve been splattered with paintballs guns, and other weird camos.

However, CVG has discovered paid XP boosters on the Xbox Live store that are completely new to me, as they weren’t included among the in-game menus.

The site reports that you can buy double XP for ten multiplayer matches for 80 Microsoft Points , which works out at £0.69 or $1.00 depending on where you are.

Double XP for 50 matches will run you 320 points (£2.74 / $4.00), 100 matches at 560 points (£4.80 / $7.00)and 200 matches at 800 points (£6.85 / $10.00).

Or you can buy a Gears of War: Judgment season pass and get permanent double XP and all DLC for 1600 MSP (£13.71 / $20).

Is this nudging dangerously close to the line between vanity items and ‘pay-to-win’ items?

I get that Gears of War: Judgment’s XP doesn’t give players an advantage as such, but still, we want to know what you think about the way things are going.

1. KineticCalvaria

The end is nigh!

Can’t believe gaming has come to this.

#1 1 year ago
  2. mreko3230

Its really close. I think the only thing that keeps it from “pay2win” is that XP is availible to everyone that plays long enough. If it was a matter of purchasing a gun or armor or something that would give you a an unfair advantage over those people not buying then I would say “yes”.

I guess it gives you an advantage for a short burst of time, but eventually everyone that plays long enough will hit the level cap. And players that are really good at the game could probably care less about a noob getting double XP- those players buying XP to get ahead are still going to be dominated by the better players.

Also, there have been games that offered double XP for a limited time when you pre-ordered the game. Don’t see where its much different.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Bashtee

I’m shocked. Back in my days, we called that cheating. Games… have changed.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Ballisticon

Does this game have unlocks (like BF3 or CoD)? GoW had leveling, but it was useless like Halo. The only way this could even be remotely considered PTW is if there are unlocks that XP levels will provide. Maybe I need to read up on the game but after playing the previous ones, it just looks like more of the same with a fresh coat of paint.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Francis O

Really? Then the whole multiplayer is tainted. Somebody can just purchase their way to victory?

#5 1 year ago
  6. Hcw87

Can you purchase guns or anything with XP? If so, it’s pay2win and a travesty, but if not, who cares.

People raged on Dead Space 3′s microtransactions too, but it turns out you got more than enough cash just by playing the game normally. Didn’t matter in that game, probably not here either.

I dislike microtransactions, but aslong as you can’t buy anything that gives you an advantage over other people, then it doesn’t bother me at all.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Dave Cook

Guys, I’m not saying it’s pay to win, but my question to everyone is, does XP boosting take things one step closer to ‘pay to win’?

I know XP doesn’t give people an advantage in Gears, but how long before a game does offer pay to win? Developers are starting to get confident and in EA’s case, downright cocky about what they can charge you for.

Seriously, how long before we’re being charged to skip ads on Gaikai?

#7 1 year ago
  8. OlderGamer

A slippery slope is slippery.

The industry has to get people used to this type of thing before it goes all out with P2W Dave. Just itty bitty baby steps that seem and feel harmless enough. More people will likly defend this then notice anything alarmist.

Just keep in mind even a journey of a thousand miles begins with just one small step.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

@8 that’s what I’m thinking.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Hcw87

Pretty sure they won’t risk anything after the massive backlash they’re getting every time they add in microtransactions. They’re very well aware of people not liking it, so it doesn’t really matter what we think. If they want to add microtransactions to every game next-gen for example, there’s nothing we as consumers can do about it.

But it won’t happen ofcourse.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Francis O

Dave, this is BS and you know it. It’s basically is pay to win. Everybody knows this is how the industry is going. It’s ok though cause I’m not buying Epic or Microsoft’s DLC, system, or games anymore.

I’ll stick to my PC, Wii U, and 3DS. And probably a PS4 when the next Mass Effect game comes out.

#11 1 year ago
  12. OlderGamer

Francis, as I understand it xp and levels are just for prestege and show. Sort of in game braging rights. Your not going to perform better because you are higher level or have more xp.

#12 1 year ago
  13. The_Red

Publishers are testing the waters. With this. With Dead Space 3.

Also, that Gaikai related image is kinda scary.Imagine you’re in a fighting game, you play the first round but then unskippable ads before round 2. Heck, they might even start selling special attacks as micros. Imagine a super power Sub-zero blast for just $0.5!

#13 1 year ago
  14. Djoenz

Omg the day tht happens is the day true gaming died. Well for me that is.

Microtransactions is evil I tell you evil!

#14 1 year ago
  15. zinc

I’m finding it hard to be alarmed or surprised by this, as the nickel & diming of dlc for games has been happening for years now. Did people really believe MP would be left sacrosanct? Was I the only gamer who noticed the weapon packs in Battlefield?

My days of impulse buying a new release are long gone. Now I research & weigh up, just what hidden costs are going to be involved.

#15 1 year ago
  16. redwood

why? why? why? why do the need more money ? why can’t they just figure out how to make a less expensive game? that’s the apple way, maximize profit margins, no need to sell more when you can make more $..why the fuck can’t they just do that? why is game production so inflated? i can still play dark souls with shit graphics and enjoy it more than i enjoy GOW.. i don’t NEEED the graphics, i don’t need the explosions.. i just want a good game..

#16 1 year ago
  17. zinc

@16, Why? Well champagne for the shareholders doesn’t buy itself!

#17 1 year ago
  18. CyberMarco

^ Money, Money, Money

#18 1 year ago
  19. redwood

@dave the problem is the budget, and the IOS has introduced them to a whole new method for offsetting the cost, and squeeze more moolah out of the players. It really varies from company to company.. but as soon as the big publishers pick it up, it’s gonna turn into a trend which is gonna be a tidal wave and lord knows what sort of stuff they will cook up.
    IMO what they need is to lower their costs.. and not just cut the payroll but use less people .. the day we see a KZ:sf game being made by an 70 men team is the day they will have less to worry about the $ and more to worry about gameplay.
    until than.. viva la IAP

#19 1 year ago
  20. redwood

@17 share holders only need to know how much money you make, not how you make it.. so if you can lower your cost for a 60$ game, your shareholders will still make love to you.

#20 1 year ago
  21. hives

How it’s pay-to-win? I mean, I thought there are no weapons to buy or perks to unlock in GoW series…? So level is just a number :P

#21 1 year ago
  22. Cobra951

Another game fades into nonexistence for me then.

#22 1 year ago
  23. ps3fanboy

Give it up, you whiny ass diva. This isn’t 1989 anymore.

#23 1 year ago
  24. aleph31

For me this is clearly pay to win, exchanging money for quick rise of level.

It’s the same model that’s applied in a lot of mobile games, where you need to wait a lot for building X to be finished, but you may pay $1 to make it happen now.

#24 1 year ago
  25. fightclubdoll

Purchased XP is oxymoronic. It’s non-experience.

#25 1 year ago
  26. BrahManDude

bullshit don’t like it

#26 1 year ago
  27. Francis O

Speak for yourself fanboy, Not everybody feels like bending over for Microsoft or Sony DLC, Microtransaction Bullshit. We all know it’s not 1989 anymore.

#27 1 year ago
  28. mojo

it is cheating. simple as that.
    officialy supported cheats, obtainable through the official platform store.

everyone disagreeing: open your eyes!

#28 1 year ago
  29. Gadzooks!

This is not pay to win.

It’s paying to unlock skins faster. Skins that all owners of the game can unlock without paying, and that give no gameplay advantages.

Drama over.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Hubcaps

OMG I just got a Xbox Live code for free from this site freemspointsforever com :D

#30 1 year ago