Deponia dev announces PC adventure game ‘Memoria’ for Q3 release

Monday, 18th March 2013 11:42 GMT By Dave Cook

Memoria is the latest game from Deponia Developer Daedalic Entertainment. It’s a PC adventure title currently slated for a Q3 2013 release.

In a release sent to VG247 today Daedalic confirmed that Memoria would be set in the world of Aventuria, last seen in Chains of Satinav. Returning protagonist Geron must solve the mysterious disappearance a young princess called Sadja, in order to save his girlfriend Nuri, who has been turned into a raven.

It looks like a rather charming adventure, with hand-drawn backdrops and a whimsical tale. You can keep track on the game’s progress over at the official Memoria site.

Here’s the first pair of screens:

1. The_Red

The site link doesn’t work for me (Redirects somewhere else).

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 oh really? Odd. I’ll double check that mate. Thanks :)

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

Yeay, another run-of-the-mill point & click adventure by some poorly paid interns.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DSB

The production values are pretty high compared to other adventure games, but I’m really only basing that on The Whispered World. I thought that was pretty good, even if it’s very old school.

It doesn’t hold a candle to the Wajdet Eye games though.

#4 1 year ago
  5. YoungZer0

Naw, gotta disagree here. Even though most of the staff are interns, they have a few talented artists. Their main problem seems to be the writing and the animations. The poor animations aren’t a mistake though, dunno why they do it like that, but from what I heard from it’s one of the instructions the interns get.

Wadjet Eye Games have the tendency to look like a huge pile of pixel-shit, desperately trying to cover it up with a retro-look.

Daedalic could be so much more if they weren’t such greedy morons.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DSB

@5 I really wouldn’t know, but I wasn’t talking about Wadjet Eyes visuals, more like the quality of the games in terms of puzzles, story and pacing.

The writing is a bit dodgy in The Whispered World. It has that old adventure game feel where sometimes the game moves at a steady pace and your objective is clear, and then at other times it just comes to a complete halt and doesn’t want to tell you anything.

#6 1 year ago
  7. YoungZer0

@6: I recently played Resonance and wasn’t pleased with that game at all. Apart from the horrible visuals and the okay voiceacting, the game had some stupid gameplay design decisions.

Have you played it?

If no here’s how it works: You see an object, you click and drag it up, to the menu, which allows you to talk with people about it. You can only drag a few objects up.

I need a wrench, the guy I need it from, mentions in a story that he always has it with him and that he smashed the widow up with it. When I ask him later where it is, he says it’s in the closet, he gives me the keys, I open the closet, it’s not there.

I ask him where it is and he says “It must be there.” I says “Seriously, It’s not there”, he tells me again that it’s impossible. He doesn’t check his pockets, I’m to assume that it must be lying somewhere else. So I look for like 10 minutes, until I give up and look up a walkthrough.

The walkthrough mentions that I have to AGAIN ask him that he tells me how he got out of the building, but instead of repeating the story, suddenly my character tells him that his story doesn’t add up and that he should have the wrench with him.

The mechanic shouldn’t be a puzzle.

Gemini Rue had the same problem, where you knew the solution, but the gameplay would get in the way.

And it had the same disgusting visuals. You could even see how some of the backgrounds have been rough sketches before someone used the mosaic filter on them.

#7 1 year ago
  8. DSB

@7 Yup, I think Resonance is retro in the bad way. Once you add four characters you’re really convoluting the gameplay too much. Too many frames, too many objects and too many characters just serve to obscure everything.

I had the same problem with “Day of the Tentacle” at times, and that has really always been the problem for adventure games. Imparting just enough information to keep it interesting, while withholding just enough to make it feel like you aren’t just performing mundane tasks.

But Resonance was done by a guy called Vince Twelve, and he was obviously targeting the people who miss those games.

The actual Wadjet Eye productions (meaning Dave Gilberts) tend to be a lot more focused and logical than that. To me the third Blackwell game was actually a little too easy, but it’s a hard balance to strike.

Have you played The Shivah? It looks terrible, and the puzzles can be a bit obscure at times, but it’s a fucking brilliant game. The first of the “commercial” Wadjet Eye productions.

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

@8: Oh, yes, totally forgot the other characters. Move the mouse the left corner, wait for the menu to open up, move the mouse to the right, wait for other character menu to open, switch to other character … So SLOW! Which kind of reminds me of this:

I was thinking about trying the Blackwell Trilogy next.

#9 1 year ago
  10. TheWulf

Daedalic has been responsible for some brilliant little plots. Poignant, symbolic, philosophical affairs. And they’ve also been responsible for tacky, cheesy, ill-humoured games. It’s hard to know where future titles will land, and what they’ll do. So with a Daedalic game it’s hard to know whether one should be looking forward to it or not.

If it’s anything like The Whispered World though… Well, if it is then I’m in for a treat. I really hope they’re going to veer more towards that style of game, as that is what they do best.

Not everyone can do meaningfully poignant and damned funny in the same breath. Daedalic can’t. But then, not everyone is Kan Gao.

#10 1 year ago
  11. YoungZer0

Have you tried “Edna & Harvey: The Breakout”? The visuals are as awful as the animations but I’d say it does combine the things you’re asking for.

#11 1 year ago