Thief reboot won’t be ‘mainstream’ after all, director clarifies quote

Friday, 15th March 2013 09:03 GMT By Dave Cook

Thief’s anti-hero Garrett was said to be designed with a more mainstream, less-gothic appearance in an interview last week. The project’s director Nicolas Cantin has explained that he meant more mainstream that previous internal designs, not when compared to previous Thief games. Phew.

We covered the studio’s original quotes about Garrett’s new look, which saw a mixed reaction from fans. Play catch up and see images of him here.

Now, speaking on the Eidos Montreal community site, Cantin explained what this actually meant, “It’s not correct to say that we’re trying to make Thief ‘mainstream’, or that we’re trying to make Garrett ‘less gothic’… This isn’t the case.

“I was referring specifically to a previous Garrett design we tried out internally and not Garrett from the previous games. Our early design went a LOT more gothic – with black nails etc – but we thought that this wasn’t true to the legacy of Garrett so we pulled it back a bit.

“Returning to something more true to the original Garrett is what I meant when I said we made him more ‘mainstream’, this wasn’t a comment about the direction of the game. I can assure you we’re huge fans of the original games and we’ve done our homework to create a game that maintains the essence of the original.”

Meanwhile, you can check out all of the debut images and details from the Thief reveal here.

Does this put your mind at ease? Let us know below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. Gheritt White

Good to know. Time for some commenters here to eat some humble pie, methinks.

2. GwynbleiddiuM

@1 It’s all his fault that people misinterpreted his quote because he didn’t give enough information to begin with, nobody will ever know how their internal designs looked like compared to what he thinks is more mainstream than them except, well, them. So no humble pies are gonna be eaten.

3. Samoan Spider

No, its the commentards fault for not being objective about the information they were given. If they can’t be objective, it means they don’t wait for all the facts to come in, and it means they leave themselves open to eating humble pie, like now, so in effect #1 +1 ;)

4. viralshag

@1, Damn, I was going to say the comments will probably be about how it’s “his fault for not being clear enough” or “he is just backtracking because of the fan ‘backlash’.”

Good to see I was beaten to the punch on that already.

5. Gnosis

Yup, just like I said. Very bad choice of words, which lead to a bunch overblown premature reactions. And pointing with the finger at the other party saying it’s their fault is not gonna change anything.

6. Gheritt White

@2: Were black nails in the original games? No? Then the result a fault of your own inference, rather than being implied by Nicolas Cantin.

7. soggmeadmug

I bet that the game will still use that shitty “focus” wallhack/slowmo vision mode, just like in tomb raider, hitman absolution, splinter cell, deus ex hr, dishonored, batman arkham asylum/city and others. That needs to go away. Can’t play game without a wallhack because there might be an enemy behind a door. How about a stealth game without those bullshit vision modes? Thanks.

8. DSB

Fail and double-fail

9. The_Red

-Execs tell Devs: Make him more “mainstream” and less “gothic”.

-Devs tell Press: We made him more “mainstream” and less “gothic”.

-Fans smash!

-Execs tell Devs: WTF were you thinking, saying that out load? Sure, you DO have to make it more mainstream but don’t tell them that. Tell them this will be a faithful re-imagining of the classic with all gothic and stealth elements intact.

10. YoungZer0

I had no problem with Garrett painting his nails black. That would make him stand out a little bit.

I’ve never seen the header image. Is Garrett using mascara? O:

11. karma

What the hell is that? Looks like some arabian princess, emo ninja. Its certainly not Garrett. This is how Garrett should look: http://www.fotoszok.pl/upload/c469fcef.jpg

They need to pull it back a lot more. Waaaay too much Tim Burton influence here.

Also I heard the game will have Quick Time Events and focus on action & combat. WTF? seriously? Thats not Thief. Like AT ALL. Please cancel this game. I cant bare to see one of my all time favorite franchises raped this way.

12. OrbitMonkey

^ Another prime example of the internutter. Ranting over rumour & claiming entitlement over other people’s work.

To clarify, I heard from a guy down the pub, who knows a bloke, who has a mate close to someone who played a Thief game once, maybe & he reckons it’ll be great. So chill, yeah?

13. Edo

@11 Is that Kal Penn under that hood? :) .

14. YoungZer0

But seriously, doesn’t the guy in the header image look like Rikimaru?

15. Gheritt White

@11: You mean *exactly* like Altaïr? Suuuure.

I like change. Change is good, especially when it’s for the better.

16. fearmonkey

Again, as this is the studio that made DeusEX:Hr, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. However, my concerns regarding gameplay remain and until I see it in action, I wont be sure if they are keeping Thief Thief!

It would be nice to have the original voice actor rather than the same guys you hear in every game these days. The original voice actor had a nice smug smartass sound, perfectly fit garret.

If I cannot go through an entire level without killing anyone, my only weapon I choose to use is the blackjack, then it’s not thief. I love games with bows, but I prefer being a nice thief rather than a murdering one.

17. TheWulf

It’s the fault of the commenter for replying to the information they were given. Well, someone’s certainly an EIDOS buttslave. I’m sorry, but that kind of “reasoning” is hardly going to have me take a person seriously. One can only respond to the information they were given, and all that was said was that the game would be way more mainstream than prior Thief games.

And to be honest, I still have my doubts. Doubts that are founded in Deus Ex: Human Revolution which, whilst a decent game, wasn’t much better than Invisible War if I’m being honest and not a touch on the original. The Thief games though, especially, aren’t something you can fool around with the recipe of, you can only build upon it. If you change things, it just stops being Thief and then it’s Dishonored. But we’ve already had Dishonered.

Thief is defined by large, open maps (which Dishonered didn’t have), proper AI and light/dark/sound mechanics (which Dishonored didn’t have), and a truly gothic setting (which Dishonored only sort of had, but it felt very fake by comparison). The danger here is that it’s easy to just make another Dishonered game and just stamp Thief on it, and that’s my primary worry. And when they tell me that they’re making their character designs more mainstream, then that worry boils over.

And frankly?

That design IS more mainstream. #1 Have you no eyes with which to see? Or do you just choose to be completely oblivious? It’s almost Assassin’s Creed with a palette swap. It’s hardly Garrett. It’s like young, emo Garrett. Here, let me draw you a picture, since your mind is incapable of doing this for you.

I’m really sick of taking characters who’re much older and making teenybopper versions of them for a mainstream audience. It’s like Raiden (of Metal Gear) is hiding under that mask – ready to bish out at any moment. It annoys and irritates me.

18. OrbitMonkey

^ And this is why Devs don’t like talking to the gaming public. Paragraphs of assumptions & nerd rage over NOTHING.

Whiney little buttmunchs.