SimCity traffic congestion fixes detailed

Friday, 15th March 2013 01:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

As discussed in a previous update, EA Maxis will patch SimCity to do something about the currently unavoidable and nonsensical traffic jams which ruin everything, forever.

In a new blog post, lead designer Stone Librande said SimCity’s Glass Box engine has Agent entities aiming for Sinks, but it doesn’t always work as planned.

“When bugs are discovered we will address them as quickly as possible, with updates such as the ones we’ve been rolling out over the past week. Our main focus right now is updating the pathing system that the Agents use to get to their Sinks. Running a successful city means keeping the traffic flowing and we are actively working to make this system better,” he said.

Referring back to earlier discussions of the conjection problems plaguing the game in its current state, Librande explained how Maxis will correct the issue.

“To dig a little deeper our roads will have a weighting system based on 25%, 50% and 75% capacity. As a road hits those marks it will become less and less appealing for other cars, increasing the likelihood of them taking an alternate path if one exists,” he said.

“Emergency vehicles will not get blocked in their garages and will move into empty lanes to get around traffic jams. We’re also working on preventing service vehicles from clumping up (for instance, only one fire truck will respond to a fire instead of two) and improving the way that Public Transportation operates in the city.

“We are currently testing a patch internally and hope to have it out to you soon,” he added.

While we wait for the patch – which will probably tame a variety of my personal concerns with SimCity – Maxis is “slowly re-enabling” some features disabled during the mad crunch of launch week. Regional achievements are live on a select number of servers, and leaderboards are back on the Test server. Maxis has asked players to check in with the Test server in order to expedite the roll out of leaderboards.

Thanks, PC Gamer.

1. NightCrawler1970

Jesus, just put the game on the market without checking for any defects, that need to be patched…

I think a player have more respect and wait 2 montch more to be sure that the game is polished and checked before putting on the market…

2. CPC_RedDawn

Hows about just patching it to remove the stupud always online DRM and adding a single player mode. Would of saved all this hassle.

3. Old MacDonald

2: Actually the congestion problems has nothing to do with any online fuctions.

This patch is good news, I’ve suffered from these road problems myself. I’d like them to patch in some more road-building options, like proper exit lanes. That would fix a lot. Knowing EA, that will be paid DLC.

4. OwnedWhenStoned

@3 Me too. I had a bit of a rant yesterday about how the “10/10″ reviewers missed the pathfinding problems. You only need to play for a couple of hours to notice them.

Seeing as the debug mode has full freeway modifying AND terraforming options, you can bet your bippy they’ll be included in paid DLC down the line.

5. viralshag

@4, I was (optimistically?) thinking that maybe the traffic problems were related to education and/or just my road layout.

It is annoying when sims turn left on to a dirt road and leave the rest of the avenue completely empty. Then sometimes, in some cities I don’t have the problem at all.

One thing I’m not looking forward to about SimCity is what we will have to pay for in the DLC. I would be fine if they release new region maps for free but offer new features for cash.

6. OwnedWhenStoned

@5 The clumping of the emergency vehicles is incredibly annoying too. I had an earthquake yesterday and loads of fires broke out. Frustrating watching all 4 fire engines go to the same fire. I lost half my commercial district.

I think that’s the most annoying thing about this whole game: it’s so very nearly great. It has all the properties there to be a superb title, but they’ve deliberately crippled it in the name of profit.

If they’d released it with proper testing, released it without broken DRM, released it with terraforming and full sized cities it would have been a classic.

7. viralshag

@6, I’m not writing if off just yet. I still think it’s a great game and I have loads of fun playing it, hours seem to whizz by while I do.

I think it has the potential to be a truly amazing game but I would agree some decisions made have hindered that chance completely. For me the biggest annoyance right now is the lack of a true sandbox option completely unrestricted from the game/server constraints.

8. OwnedWhenStoned

No, me neither. I’ve spent a good few hours playing someone elses copy (he gave up on it at launch) and it is a great timesink. When it starts purring along at around 5000+ population it’s great fun. That’s why it’s so annoying that it’s packaged the way it is.