Pokemon Rumble U trailer shows NFC figures in action

Friday, 15th March 2013 09:46 GMT By Dave Cook

Pokemon Rumble U is the new downloadable game for Wii U that lets players scan in their Pokemon figures using the GamePad’s NFC tech, much like Skylanders and Disney Infinity. Nintendo has released a new trailer showing the scanning process, and game in action.

We’ve also got images of the toys close up here.

Cheers ONM.

1. OlderGamer

This could sell millions.

2. DrDamn

@OG
    Out of interest OG considering your stance on DLC and nickel & diming why does something like this interest you? Isn’t it effectively the same thing? You might get little bits of plastic too but it’s all about monetising the franchise isn’t it? Maybe I’ve got the wrong end of the stick on how things like Skylanders, this and the Disney thing work, but it’s DLC with plastic toys isn’t it? Very clever business idea, but value wise?

3. OlderGamer

I wouldn’t play it Doc. But I think it will be a system seller if they market it right.

Skylanders is a good game too, I played my sons copy. My brother inlaw owns almost all of the toys for that game. Scary when you add it all up.

I don’t recall if it is this game or the disney one, but one of them is 20usd and the toys are 2usd each. That is a much better approach then Actis Skylanders.

And I am not anti DLC, but in most cases DLC feels like a cheap wallet grab. Take a look at Rockband games, they have fantastic dlc.

4. DrDamn

@OG
    Ok fair enough :). I seem to remember someone else mentioning that the toys were cheap for this one.

5. Dragon246

@4,
    They indeed are cheap, 2$ apiece in Japan.

6. OlderGamer

If this game is 20usd, with 2usd figurines, and the Poke’mon name…it could single handedly save the WiiU. Esp in JPN. I wonder if selling card games with digital scaner codes on the cards/an insert could also be a seller?

Like a Poke’mon card game that you buy at walmart and just scans into your system for a free client download, and booster packs show up in game. I don’t see why not.

7. Dragon246

I doubt if it could “save” WiiU. PS3 is still king there and PS4 on the horizon with new FF. If anything, people may find the WiiU pricing too prohibitive.
    And pokemon is a handheld franchise, like MH.
    It really has odds cut out in Japan. It will do better in the west compared to Japan.

8. ps3fanboy

sell it on psvita and the jap will go crazy about it after the price drop on the psvita over there. sell it on the wii-u and you can kiss goodbye to any craze gonna happen at all with this game. because the wii-u ain’t a big seller even in asia.