“PlayStation MVPs” program revealed, honours top 1% of players

Friday, 15th March 2013 09:13 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony has started sending out invites to top PS3 and PS Vita gamers as part of its new “PlayStation MVPs” program. Expect an invite soon if you rank in the top 1% of players.

IGN reports that invites have gone out to players with impressive trophy counts and a wide library of games. The program aims to champion and reward ‘highly-engaged’ gamers on the format.

The site was sent images of the invite, which explains how it all works.

If you choose to apply, you must then fill out a lengthy questionnaire about your gaming habits and more. It’s still unclear what being a PlayStation MVP will get you, but this could be a prominent feature of the PS4 community, given its emphasis on social aspects and that all-important ‘Share’ button.

More as we get it.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Surely tea’s name is on that list!

#1 1 year ago
  2. Hirmetrium

Hilarious. Don’t know why the top 1% of the PS players would care for the rest of the “community” nor are they aspects one everything playstation. They are probably more concerned with their K:D in COD than what other people think.

It’s also a slap in the face of the knowledgeable types who look after forums/communities and are in general very helpful, as I doubt they would be classed as “MVP’s”.

Of course, that is also subjective on what being an “MVP” entitles you to. I just think that picking the top 1% of players is a bit of a lame way to select “experts” (which can mean much, much more, such as attitude, etc).

Also important is that the invite notes “they make the playstation nation the best online games community “. Heh, I’d think they were the elitest, hack abusing arseholes that ruin it (and lets face it, hackers are always at the top of scoreboards).

#2 1 year ago
  3. Darcness

Hey genius, the top 1% is apparently being decided by trophies and a diverse game collection. Call of duty has no online trophies.

Maybe if you were a MVP you would have known that. <3

#3 1 year ago
  4. theevilaires

@G1GA yup i’m expecting my invite pretty soon. I’m almost LVL 30 with 99 Platinum’s and I am some what a leader of PSN. I’m probably the only guy who still sits in the chat room room with 5 other guys every week and complain about the video game industry.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Clupula

I’m only a level 19, but that’s because I actually go out and do things with my time. Still, nice to see that they’re doing something like this.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Zeydlitz

Well, as a level 31 player (124 plats) I am definitly in 1%. But I sence, that this programm is US only, so it would be another fail.

#6 1 year ago
  7. ps4fanboy

@#6 and #4 wow! I’ve a total of “Zero” platinum trophies and the only game i expect to get one is Heavy Rain. I’m more of a casual gamer who is playing hardcore video games for 10 years now and haven’t become a hardcore gamer yet.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Clupula

@7 – I’m somewhere in the middle, myself. I would rather spend my time onstage or with women, but if a game I really, really like comes along, I will usually spend every available moment I have playing it. I am not 100% sure how many platinums I have, but I think it’s 13 at the moment. I usually only try for a platinum on a game that I really genuinely enjoy (Dead Space 1, my first platinum) OR if I finish the game and realize that I’m close to a platinum, so I might as well get that one (Dante’s Inferno).

#8 1 year ago
  9. redwood

@4 how do you manage that dear sir?

#9 1 year ago
  10. redwood

i guess M$ should send me an invite cause i am at the bottom 1%..

#10 1 year ago
  11. Djoenz

Lmao I have not one Platinum trophy and Im proud of it. I know some trophywhores its hilarious. Im only lvl 11 have my sen account for about three years now I think. I will never platinum a game no matter how good the game is.

#11 1 year ago
  12. NeoSquall

The only game I ever got every trophy/achievement for was Sleeping Dogs, on PC, before the “Nightmare at North Point” DLC release.

#12 1 year ago