PS3 used for streaming media more than gaming – Nielsen study

Thursday, 14th March 2013 19:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A new study from Nielsen has found that most US PS3 owners use the console mainly for streaming services instead of gaming.

According the over 2,500 polled, video-on-demand and streaming on the console were up 15 % to 24% for the year, while DVDs/Blu-ray use came in ta 15%, downloadable TV and movies came in at 4% and all other uses 8%.

For the 28% who played games, they spent that time offline, and 18% spent it playing online. In total, 46% spent the majority of time on PS3 gaming, while 54% spent the majority of the time using the console for non-gaming purposes.

Wii was still the most popular streaming media device, and Xbox 360 came in last in the study for streaming usage.

Thanks,
Gamespot

1. Dragon246

And that is simply because PSN is free.
    Also of note that more people play offline than online, like me. And as expected, Sony is not going with always-on bs as they have the widest reach in their consoles which sell millions in asia where net connection is not very smooth.

#1 1 year ago
  2. viralshag

Or maybe people just don’t think the PS3 is their best gaming platform and media usage is what it’s best for. Mine was always more of a blu ray player than a gaming console. Other than the few exclusives it was never my first choice in multi platform games. But that’s just me (and a few others if this survey is correct).

#2 1 year ago
  3. DuckNation

LOL Streaming Services

#3 1 year ago
  4. DrDamn

@Steph
    Its 46% of time gaming and 54% of time non, not 46% of people spent most time gaming and 54% not gaming. That’s assuming GameSpot have it right as the non-gaming adds up to 51% not 54% (24+15+4+8). GameSpot don’t link the source so its hard to check. Regurgitated, regurgitated stats FTW! :)

Oh and the headline is wrong too, sorry, streaming media is 24% vs 46% (probably) for gaming. Used more for non-gaming than gaming would be right.

#4 1 year ago
  5. noamlol2

THAT’S FUCKING BULLSHIT!

this is nothing but false info gather only to strengthen the idea of making the PS4 more streaming features and less gaming focus

fuck them, the majority of people who bought a PS3 bought to game not to watch netflix

#5 1 year ago
  6. DSB

Sounds like they may have counted Sony Blu-ray/Online players. We have one of those, and obviously that mostly gets used for Amazon Instant Video and Netflix.

#6 1 year ago
  7. lexph3re

This is 2500 people speaking on behalf of 70million…. I hate surveys they just never seem to capture the right data when they don’t even poll a fraction of the people.

New rule for gaming polls. If it’s not over 1 million people polled it doesn’t matter.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Gnosis

@7: 2,5k ppl is already a huge number and the survey must’ve been very expensive. The point of statistics is that you take a small number of ppl, which is representative for the whole population and draw a conclusion based on it. Because of the lack of time and financial resources. That’s why polls and surveys always show general tendencies and don’t deliver definite answers.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Clupula

Hmmmmm…I did start using it for Netflix a lot after a girl I was seeing let me use her password. I mean, it is kinda hard to resist watching the entirety of Battlestar Galactica when it is right there and I don’t have to pay anything for it.

Still, my PS3 is primarily a gaming system. But I certainly use Netflix more than I watch tv.

#9 1 year ago
  10. viralshag

I bet if this fell more in line with what people wanted to hear it would be accurate.

#10 1 year ago
  11. OlderGamer

I see it as a win win. So long as you don’t go the old school way of selling hardware at a loss. Because now days you can’t be gaurented that buyers will be spending money of games where you can make up said loss in liscensing fees.

I know that I have used my xb360 and PS3 for netflix and streaming more then playing games on. Just the way it goes.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Cobra951

I’ll say this again: It matters more *why* they bought the consoles. It makes no sense to spend that kind of dough on a connected movie player alone. While it may be true that most PS3s ended up as glorified Netflix boxes, I don’t believe they were bought with that primary use in mind. They were most likely bought with the intention of playing the latest AAA games, and also media–all together.

Why does this matter? Because it predicts the future behavior of console buyers. They’re not going to spend $500 for a movie player, when that alone can be had for less than $100. Using this poll to conclude games playing can take a back seat in the next console gen could not be more wrong.

#12 1 year ago
  13. fearmonkey

This makes sense to me as I have friends that own PS3′s and most own Xbox’s or Wii along with those. Most of them use it as a Blu-ray player or media player where the wii and Xbox are used only for gaming.

yet it seems MS wants to be the media center next gen and Sony is really game focused, I wonder if they will end up switching places…

#13 1 year ago
  14. OnionPowder

I use my PS3 maybe 15-20% for gaming and the rest for streaming/watching Blu-Rays.

#14 1 year ago
  15. SlayerGT

Only time I use my 360 for Netflix is when I’m running B-Spec races on GT5.

#15 1 year ago
  16. lexph3re

See if I was to weigh my ps3 for gaming over streaming it would be about 50/50 . But during the day while I’m at work my wife and son watch Netflix all day. But maybe 10 people out of my 100 friends online use Netflix/stream almost all the time.

I just don’t see my list nor this survey speaking for millions. Even if its to get a general idea

#16 1 year ago
  17. Stephany Nunneley

@4 If PS3 owners spent 46% of their time playing games and 54% with non-gaming media services, this means that the majority of their time was spent with video services, not games. Right?

See, this is why I hate statistics and got it over and done with my first semester of college. I took this job under the pretense there would be no mathematics involved! :D :D :D

#17 1 year ago
  18. melonbuster1

Ps3 was a lie.the online is for the cash strapped consumer. Its a nice bluray player.that’s all. It just happens to play games. All games are better on xbox

#18 1 year ago
  19. loveaya

American + British, lol

#19 1 year ago
  20. DrDamn

Ah but 8% was other, not streaming, not downloaded movies and not bluray. :). So media type stuff is 43% vs 46% for gaming. Though there is still the missing 3%.

Statistics and exactly how things are worded are horrible for people to understand in general, particularly if a spin is put on it. For example this doesn’t tell us anything about actual time spent gaming, only in comparison to media stuff. So if they spent a hell of a lot of time with media then they also spent a hell of a lot of time with games too.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Djoenz

Well The Netherlands doesnt support Netflix..all my ps3 buddies play games only. Using the console primarily for streaming vids..pfff well at least sen is free ^__^

#21 1 year ago
  22. ManuOtaku

Well not for me, mine is 100% gaming, but i know i am a minority and oldscholl if you will.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Agt_Pendergast

Is this really surprising or a bad thing? In my household, my brother and I are the game players whereas our parents are not. My bro and myself will use the PS3 for gaming and watching netflix or whatever, whereas our parents will just use it for the latter. Some households might be even more lopsided depending on how many actual gameplayers there are.

#23 1 year ago