God of War: Ascension patch in the works to reduce Trial of Archimedes difficulty

Thursday, 14th March 2013 20:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony plans to tweak the difficulty in God of War: Ascension’s Trial of Archimedes quest. Apparently, the section containing three large waves of enemies with no checkpoints, and very rare health drops is just too damned hard. However, there is light at the end of the Kratos tunnel, as the game’s Todd Papy
took to Twitter
to deliver the news of a patch in the works. While there is no ETA, it will be released “soon.” God of War: Ascension released in US Tuesday and hits stores in the UK tomorrow. Thanks,
D’toid

1. Clupula

What is up with them changing every aspect of the game because someone can’t take it?!? Is this just Todd Papy? Because I don’t recall Sony Santa Monica ever being this annoyingly willing to bend to everything.

#1 1 year ago
  2. SplatteredHouse

In to say the same thing. What a joke! On console, you buy a game, and regardless of how you may feel about the game as it was offered, along comes the pandering developer who then insists that you accept the patch which will permanently alter the game that you may have been playing with no issue. Isn’t that ridiculous?

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lengendaryboss

@1/2 Well you have to see it from their point of view, they are addressing fan feedback which is what certain developers/publishers have to do to keep their customers happy.

#3 1 year ago
  4. OlderGamer

Why not build different modes of dificulty into a game in the first place. 20 Years ago I loved hard games, today I can’t be bothered. 20 years ago I didn’t have a lot of choices, today I am almost swimming in them.

If a game is too hard, or makes me die a few too many times, screw it and I move on. I also am not very likly to return the franchise at a later date.

Understand me or think I am a nut…either way I am not alone. There are legions of gamers that, for their own reasons will not try try try and try again to beat a game. Again because of that, they won’t buy the next one.

So, I ask again: Why not built selectible difficulties into all games? One size challange does not fit all gamers.

#4 1 year ago
  5. OlderGamer

Oh and before you logic out that not all gamers should be able to actualy beat a game. I ask you how much less they should have to pay to not see all of the content? The game costs the same price for a player that can’t get half way thru a game, as it does for the player that can finish the game. And not being able to see the end of game will also frustrate players and could keep them from becoming franchise fans that return to buy sequals and ofc DLC.

Also for clearity, I have not played this game. Was speaking in generalities.

#5 1 year ago
  6. silverstorm

I’m currently stuck on this level, playing on normal. It’s so fkin hard and frustrating because only is there no checkpoints but the enemies does not even drop some green health orbs witch is essential if you’re facing such a horde of difficult enemies. AND i cant even change difficulty without starting a new game on easy. So kudos to Papy for doing this.

#6 1 year ago
  7. ActionGameKing

At this rate the whole game will be censored.

Just insert a damn easy mode option if you die more than 3 times. Ninja Gaiden has been doing that for years Sony Santa Monica.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Gnosis

Sounds like a simple balancing issue to me. Don’t know about the others, but I don’t consider myself to be an ub0r-pro-gam0r, who can slice his way through the game without looking at the screen. So no objections here.
    @6: Oh, they’ve changed that? Pity. Really liked that option in old GoW games.

#8 1 year ago
  9. SplatteredHouse

@4: God of War traditionally has the option to lower the difficulty, and taking up the offer means that your game is set there for the rest of the duration. Strangely, according to some of the source article comments, that option is absent from Ascension.

@6: I wouldn’t oppose you (or anyone else) exercising your option to tailor the game to your liking. But the bit that I’d take issue with, is where in making allowances/catering to you, if all of a sudden, everybody else also has to play this game according to your preference. :(
    @7: oh yeah, “Ninja dog”! Itagaki, he wasn’t one to mince words. :)

#9 1 year ago
  10. polygem

og+1.
    maybe it has to do with age. the older i get the less i can/want to/ tolerate frustrations in gaming. i am not that competitive anymore too. i am the same man in real life but if a game frustrates me now, i don´t feel like fighting it anymore…i just move on and play something i enjoy instead. that said, i cannot wait for this game, i have no problem to play it on easy if that´s the setting i can enjoy it the most. i do not fear anyone checking my trophies about how i´ve beaten a game or something like that :)
    i played all god of war games twice, so i can always come back for a playthrough on a harder difficulty…if i feel like it.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Beta

Yes they’ve always had an easy mode option if you die several times. Why this is supposedly absent is Ascension is just weird..

#11 1 year ago
  12. lexph3re

I have to switch my weekend list now. I wae going to beat rising first but im going to have to beat this before the patch.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Olima

These three waves of enemies took me more than one and a half hour to beat (extreeeemeley frustrating), so a patch to fix the balancing here makes perfect sense to me.

#13 1 year ago
  14. OlderGamer

“@5: Why does it matter whether a player gets to see all of the content? Is it not most important that they feel that they’re having fun playing, and consider their money well spent?”

I think that comes down to value for the money spent. And having fun is ofc in the hands of the person holding the controler(see what I did just there?). If a gamer buys a game and can’t get say half way thru the game, then that person will reflect differently upon the playing experience then someone that was able to finish the game entirly.

I had that problem with Darksiders II. There were parts about the game that I really enjoyed, like the combat, the story and the settings. But the damn game was so hard with its blind faith jumping that it turned into trial and error jumping. That I just literaly couldn’t play the game. I rented the game, however had I purchased it…I would have been rather upset.

I can really relate to that in games. I also look at some games like movies. You wouldn’t buy a movie, only to wrestle with the remote to the point of being unable to watch the end of the movie would you? Same type of thing in some games. I bought it, I want to see it all.

I know some folks will disagree, and that is ok.

But I think that many games have evolved into a different form of entertanment then they once were. I mean PacMan was PacMan was Pacman. And Donkey Kong was what it was ya know? But those types of games were designed for us to keep putting in quaters. I look at most games differently now.

#14 1 year ago
  15. mreko3230

@OlderGamer
    Time to blame Adam Sessler again!..lol
    Although, he dosen’t mention the game at the time, later it is revealed he is talking about this God of War sequence. His old bones just couldn’t deal with it.

And the review/trophy controversy (in cased you missed it)

#15 1 year ago