Guild Wars 2 designer wants to “slow down” on new systems

Wednesday, 13th March 2013 22:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

ArenaNet added a whole bunch of new systems to Guild Wars 2 post-launch to stop players running out of content too quickly, but is approaching the limits of how complicated it can make the game.

In an interview with Forbes, Guild Wars 2′s lead designer Isaiah Cartwright said ArenaNet is always questioning whether the MMORPG has become too complicated.

“It’s a debate we have here all the time, especially when it come to the number of currencies that are around,” he said.

“It really comes down to when you want to reward someone for doing a specific type of gameplay. Because we’ve been adding a lot of reward systems, we’ve seen an increase in the number of currencies out there. But we’re getting toward the tail end of the number of systems we feel that we can put in the game.”

Cartwright said ArenaNet will be working on improving existing systems rather than adding new ones from now on.

“I want us to slow down on the number of systems that we’re adding and polish up and clean up the ones that we have added so they’re easier to understand, with better UI for them, those types of things, that’ll be some of the stuff that we’re focused on in the future,” he said.

“One of the major goals of Guild Wars was to allow anyone to jump in and play. We have a team dedicated to making sure that it’s easy, and we’re going to continue to improve that process as much as we can.”

Cartwright mentioned that many of the currencies need to be kept away from new players so as not to overwhelm them, but did give an explanation for why things have gotten so complex.

“As we were looking at the play patterns of players, we noticed they were getting through the last step of progression in our game faster than we wanted them to. That would lead them to run out of things to accomplish,” he said.

“We didn’t want to get into a gear-grind scenario, so what we did was add a new tier rarity called Ascended items. We wanted to add a step in there to insure that people had a lot to do.”

Thanks, Massively.

1. Hellhound30x

sorry, all I heard was “whaaaaah! waaaah! waaaaah!”

#1 1 year ago
  2. roadkill

He’s right! Just a day ago I was thinking about how many reward systems there are in the game. But while some are awesome others are flawed. I think they should make at least some of the guild missions available for every guild out there and not just for the really big ones.

#2 1 year ago
  3. viralshag

People finish the last step of progression in your game too quickly and you wanted to avoid gear grinding? I think the solution is right there in front of him. It sounds boring but grinding for gear is one of the easiest and far from bad ways to keep people playing your MMO, as long as they have fun content to grind.

But considering GW2 has such a boring levelling system, I’m not surprised people want to finish as quick as possible and get out.

#3 1 year ago
  4. roadkill

@3 Wtf are you on about!? I have more than 700 hours and I’m only starting my 2nd character now. And I’m not doing that because I’m bored because I’m not bored at all! Dude you are seriously fucked up!

#4 1 year ago
  5. viralshag

@4, I can assure you I’m not the only person in the ‘GW2 is boring’ boat. If we’re going to compare personal experiences – which is all we really have as I don’t think they have released any stats – I don’t know anyone still playing this that got it at launch or close to that.

Let’s face it, it was hyped to be the new beginning of MMOs but was generally a rather average attempt and didn’t really bring anything new to the scene. It’s a good game, I don’t regret buying it or playing it, I obviously just don’t like it as much as you do.

#5 1 year ago
  6. KineticCalvaria

@5:

Gotta agree with you there, GW2 does become incredibly boring, I’m sure over the years once its got more content then it won’t be so bad.

I’m a huge Guild Wars fan by the way, however GW1 was vastly superior and as much as GW2 is great its just not the same :(.

#6 1 year ago
  7. viralshag

@6, the thing for me isn’t even the quests or exploring. I mostly found the skills and talent system incredibly dull. You have a choice of a few weapons for new skills and the talents mostly consisted of adding a few percentages here and there.

It’s probably been the first MMO that’s (so far) never drawn me back to even jumping in for the odd hour here and there. I’m sure eventually I’ll go back and probably think its the best thing since sliced bread…

#7 1 year ago
  8. KineticCalvaria

@7:

I think for an MMO which was always promoted as having plenty of customization, the way the skill system ended up with skills tied to weapons and literally a choice between 2 or 3 skills for each slot is extremely disappointing. I was hoping for a fully customizable skill set ala GW1.

I’ve gone back plenty of times, logged on, chatted to some friends, thought hmmm what do I do? Logged off again.

Its not even a bad game, I really liked it from 1-80 but then its either do it all over again or grind the same dungeons, Anet were meant to eradicate any grind, some promise that turned out to be lol.

#8 1 year ago
  9. viralshag

@8, yeah, it was almost everything related to skills that really put me off. Limited choice, no real “upgrades” or cool things to unlock, poor UI and a general lack of customisation.

I tried playing GW1 before the launch and I have to admit, it was in such complete contrast to what I just described I really had no clue what I was doing. It’s safe to say Guild Wars and GW2 might not be the games for me! :p

#9 1 year ago
  10. roadkill

Lol haters! You guys are such douche-bags. You don’t know s**t about this game. Clueless. Completely clueless.

#10 1 year ago