Xi3 Piston “Steam Box” trailer surfaces

Monday, 11th March 2013 13:55 GMT By Dave Cook

Xi3′s Piston “Steam Box” micro PC has received a trailer, asking you how you’re going to keep up with advancements in gaming tech. By buying one, obviously.

Pre-orders for the rig started at SXSW over the weekend, starting at $999.99. Check out our full report here:

Thanks GamesHQMedia.

1. ps3fanboy

1000 dollars for that cheap looking thing? are they mad????… and what are you paying for here? rental games at 70 dollars each?…

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 I’m just going to keep putting these after your comments until you learn:

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

I could get a really good PC for that much money.

#3 1 year ago
  4. ps3fanboy

your correct sir and you can also have the games on disc and own them… cheaper and more control for the customer. its a win win….

#4 1 year ago
  5. Samoan Spider

@2 Here we go again! My afternoon shot to shit ;) but you’re right.

Edit: On topic, I like the look of it. I wouldn’t be in the market because I have a long HDMI lead and a decent enough PC already but even so. Looks tasty. No mention of underpinning software though. But I am at work and may have missed it.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Sanwiches

@YoungZer0 You need to realize this piece of tech WAS NOT BUILT FOR YOU IF YOU ALREADY OWN OR KNOW HOW/WANT TO BUILD A GOOD GAMING PC. SHUT UP

#6 1 year ago
  7. foofly

If it was half the price, then maybe.

#7 1 year ago
  8. YoungZer0

@6: How about a big load of ‘fuck you’? O:

#8 1 year ago
  9. Sanwiches

@8 hahaha it’s okay I deserve it

#9 1 year ago
  10. Telepathic.Geometry

@Dave: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0INWRpI_I2o Try this one… :)

#10 1 year ago
  11. NightCrawler1970

Wow you can swap GPX card damn bro, i never knew that..

it seems that price is for HARDCORE-GAMER ONLY!!!!
    Piston seen yall just a bunch of E-machine NOOBS, and offering a good-solid-stable-non-crashable-itty-bitty-Xbox… JUST FOR 1000,- or a monthly payment of 100,- :P

I pass..

#11 1 year ago
  12. manamana

It’s nice but absolutely niche.

#12 1 year ago
  13. DSB

It has a bit of novelty and a huge pricetag. It’s the PC equivalent of a clown car.

I do think the whole crusade for the livingroom can work, but you need to really make it worth peoples while, and you need to bring the price way down.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Clupula

Wait…wasn’t the point of this thing supposed to be to turn console gamers into PC gamers? If we wouldn’t buy a $600 PS3, we’re damn sure not going to buy this at $1,000!

#14 1 year ago
  15. aleph31

Wasn’t this thing supposed to be connected in a cluster? That way they could have released a product with a lower price tag, and if you want more horsepower, buy a second device.

#15 1 year ago
  16. DSB

@14 It’s not the thing though. You have your “Steam boxes” and then you have your actual Steam Box. Valve should’ve really done more to establish the difference.

The actual Steam Box is the one that’s supposed to change things up, but nobody knows anything about it, so it’s really anyone’s guess.

They have said that it won’t be more expensive than the leading consoles though, so this third party “me-too-box” is at least 500 dollars off target.

#16 1 year ago
  17. TheBlackHole

Here’s the kicker that no-one’s really addressing:

As it’s running on Linux, not windows, it will only play the Steam titles that are currently Linux compatible. It will NOT support your existing Steam catalogue.

For those interested, this is also going to be the case for the Steam Box proper. Devs will have to port to Linux in order to support all Steam Box products. Essentially another platform, like porting to console or Mac.

Not ideal, especially for $1000 and no guarantee of top releases.

#17 1 year ago
  18. jldoom

@14 Exactly what I said as soon as I saw the price tag. But I’m going to assume that this on the high end of the spectrum of Steam Boxes being released. I’m expecting a counter part equal to the PS4 and Next gen Xbox that is A HELL of a lot more reasonable price wise.

#18 1 year ago
  19. DSB

@17 Linux is really the biggest problem, but you’d think they’d be aware of what that might mean to their viability.

You can always cram hardware and haggle for prices, but if the OS can’t run most of the games, then what’s the point?

I’m hoping and half-expecting them to have a solid answer to that. Bring your own OS isn’t a very good model for anything that need to make a dent in the console audience.

#19 1 year ago
  20. TheBlackHole

@19 “I’m hoping and half-expecting them to have a solid answer to that.”

Don’t hold your breath. The expectation is that devs will spend the time/money converting new titles to Linux. That’s unlikely to be the case for smaller titles you have in your existing catalogue though.

#20 1 year ago
  21. DSB

@20 I don’t think anyone is that naive. Even if they were negotiating with publishers, there’s no way they’d have a deal until they have x boxes installed. It’s a non-starter in my opinion.

I think the logical hope is that they’re looking at actually making Linux compatible, rather than the games. If Muhammad won’t come to the mountain, you bring the mountain to Muhammad.

“Steam OS” has been thrown around a lot, but I do think that’s the most obvious way to solve the problem.

I have no clue how they’d do it, but it would be shockingly unambitious to simply launch a box that has all these problems and hope that Buddha sorts everything out for them in the end.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Jerykk

If this had the power of a $1000 desktop gaming PC, it might be worth it. However, it won’t be that powerful. You’re paying for size here, not power. And since all the hardware is proprietary, good luck with upgrading it at a reasonable cost.

#22 1 year ago
  23. harr0w

valve should of fucked all this third party endorsement nonsense off and just release the steambox alone.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Joe_Gamer

Who gives a shit about a “STEAM BOX”? Connect PC to TV…engage big picture mode…BOOM, instant fucking steam box…Costs less and is more versatile. Normally I love valve, but this is a poor execution of a good idea. It’s far too expensive to grab any kind of market and spread the master race PC gaming to the casual pleebs, and WHY in the name of Jupiter’s cock is it a proprietary form factor? Fucking all of the drawbacks of consoles and PC’s put together with none of the benefits.

Valve, I am disappoint…