PS4 is “gaming console at heart”, PC architecture requested by devs

Monday, 11th March 2013 16:25 GMT By Dave Cook

PS4 is still a games console at its core, despite a slew of social and multimedia features. That’s the claim of Sony’s Worldwide Studios VP Michael Denny. He also explained why the system’s PC-based architecture is the result of Sony’s first-party developer requirements.

Speaking with OPM, the exec said of PS4′s PC-like architecture, “I think the main reason behind it is that’s what the development community wanted. That’s what the development community want in terms of ease of development and making the best games they possibly can.”

But the console’s PC innards won’t make it any less of a gaming console, Denny advised, “This is still a console made for gaming, with gaming at its heart. I think that we learn from all the platforms we launch & systems we’ve developed.

“Part of PlayStation 4 is learning from previous platforms and making things better. Then part of it is the new experience as well, adding extra features, and you put those together for a much better package and much better experience for the gamer”.

Tech-babble aside, games remain king for Denny and his team, “At the end of the day it’s about the output. It’s about having the best games and the best experiences. To do that you’ve got to have the best creators on board, the best development teams.

“That’s the whole philosophy behind it and we’ve architected a system that we believe will get us the best content. Making decisions like having the 8GB high speed system memory on board is just a massive win for developers in terms of the sort of games they can create, and the ease of game development”.

“I think that ultimately great content always wins the day”, he concluded.

The PS4′s prowess has certainly made a lot of developers happy. Just check out this shortlist of outspoken developers happy to slap Sony on the back:

Phew.

What’s your take?

1. monkeygourmet

Nobody want’s any weird shit like the ‘CELL’ again…

The only thing annoying is that means B/C games will now be streamed, offered as a 1080p re-release which we’ll have to buy again or just simply not be available.

That means leaving my PS3 plugged in (running out of gadget space), or having to stream games in shitty quality over the PS4.

I would rather pay another £75 and have a B/C PS4 that played all the PS3 games.

Same with 720 and 360. If MS are smart and the 720 is like a hugely beefed up 360, they will allow B/C out of the box.

I have about 100 XBLA games (Trials etc…), If I can’t transfer them to 720 i’ll be pretty pissed…

#1 1 year ago
  2. SlayerGT

“At the end of the day it’s about the output. It’s about having the best games and the best experiences. To do that you’ve got to have the best creators on board, the best development teams.”

They get it. What I’m looking for when I purchase a video game console, they get it.

#2 1 year ago
  3. DSB

It’s a Sonybox. Huck chuck chuck.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dragon246

Price it ok, and it will sell well.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Lahanas

I love what Sony is doing with the PS4. In this stupid day and age, a back-to-basics approach with a “gaming console at heart” is what we need.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DrDamn

Agree, I do worry it’s maybe not what enough people need though – if you get what I mean.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Cobra951

@5: Amen! I’m very hopeful about this system. Let’s see if they can deliver on their hype.

#7 1 year ago
  8. blackdreamhunk

Sony PS4 hardware vs PC longevity from dev

“Avalanche Studios have been responsible for previous games such as the Just Cause series and more recently, the Renegade Ops game which came out in 2011. Although nothing has been announced yet, it is highly likely that they are already working on games for the PS4 and their co-founder has boldly said that the Sony PS4 now has the hardware to ‘out power most PCs for years to come’.”

“What we and probably most PC owners would like to hear though, is whether he was referring to the average consumer PC or a PC that has been specifically built for gaming purposes. While the PS4 may be equipped with exciting specs at the moment, there is always going to be a PC that has better hardware than the PS4 as long as consumers are willing to pay a stiff premium price for it.”

Ps4 like all consoles is a watered down pc! Pc and pc gaming is the Borg!

the ps4 is looking more and more like a PC. Basically the devs want a PC. They don’t want a console.

#8 1 year ago
  9. deathm00n

@8 “Basically the devs want a PC. They don’t want a console.” This makes no sense, if a dev wants to create something for PC they can. Nothing is stopping them. So yeah, some of them wants to make games for consoles.

#9 1 year ago
  10. PC_PlayBoy

It’s just PR gobshite and arse kissing. It was the same with the PS3, everything was “great”, but in reality the console was a nightmare. Don’t believe the spin…

#10 1 year ago
  11. blackdreamhunk

Q#9 ps4 is basically out dated crimped PC. This generation ha not even started and th PC and PC gaming is already out striding consoles. PS4 is nothing more than cheap knock off of the real deal the PC.

big companies and cooperations like Sony and Microsoft is basically holding back the gaming Industry, pc gaming, pc gamers and humanity with primitive technology and primitive levels of thinking and advertising.

Pc gaming and PC are the Borg resistance is futile your culture will adept to service us! I did say that on many forums gaming sites and my words always come to pass.

Are consoles killing gaming? – Truthloader Investigates

#11 1 year ago
  12. ps4some

@8 Are you lolconnors alter ego? You sound as stupid as him and you’ve mysteriously reappeared since he ‘left’

#12 1 year ago
  13. blackdreamhunk

@#12 PC 3 has come and gone and guess what PC gaming is still here. PC gaming has hobbled giant companies like Sony hence the ps4

#13 1 year ago
  14. Erthazus

As the biggest console fan of the previous generation this is a good decision and it is good for both Playstation gamers and for the PC gamers in general.

My only gripe is that PS4 is nothing special to be honest. Ps1, PS2, and PS3 had some interesting technology. Even if CELL sucked ass it was an interesting experiment.

#14 1 year ago
  15. HauntaVirus

The spec that really stands out against pc is the GDDR5. I’m excited to see what they can do with that.

#15 1 year ago
  16. blackdreamhunk

Samsung Executive Blames Microsoft, Windows 8 for Flat PC Memory Market

#16 1 year ago
  17. deathm00n

Should we ignore blackdreamhunk like those doomsday prophets we see on the street?

#17 1 year ago
  18. Phoenixblight

Yes that is exactly it.

BDH has been here quite a while spilling his PC elitist dribble.

#18 1 year ago
  19. ps4fanboy

PS4 should atleast have PS2 bc out of the box thru emulation.

#19 1 year ago
  20. nollie4545

LOL!!! Console fan bois: ‘I’m excited about DDR5 RAM…’ ROFL LMFAO.

As if the speed of RAM will make any difference at all, if the rumours are true, both Xbox and PS4 will use AMD tech and on die GPU technology which means they will automatically be destroyed by current gen graphics cards, much less anything in the next 12-24 months.

Devs want PC internals and basic hardware purely because of the uniformity of coding new software, not to mention the fact that all gaming coding is done on PC hardware anyway, it is a simple step to take software from being made on a PC to being played on a PC. Consoles involve transforming the software to run on a non-native set of operating instructions and this creates more cost and takes more effort, not to mention the time it takes.

So yes, this move towards consoles running more PC tech is a good move, but anyone who thinks their PS4 is going to out gun a modest gaming rig is sorely mistaken.

#20 1 year ago
  21. blackdreamhunk

#18 pc gaming the Borg has taken over youtube Pc gaming the borg makes the retailers tremble. Next will be the next generation consoles. More and more people be assimilated.

Has PC Gaming Taken Over YouTube?

we are the borg you will be assimilated resistance is futile

#21 1 year ago
  22. OlderGamer

I used to laugh at BDH too. Still, he makes me smile. But not for the same reasons. Alot of what he has said…has been playing out. Alot of industry talent has left the consoles for mobile, social, PC, etc. Alot of devs and even a high profile pub or two have gone under. Alot of companies lose money on consoles, including platform holders. And Sony is on thin ice while Nintendo seem lost and MS wants to provide you with a pluthera of non gaming services.

Seems to me, and I say with a smile and a shaking head….about BDH: His words are solid!

#22 1 year ago
  23. Phoenixblight

As solid as quicksand. In reality the industry is changing and its not towards the PC in fact its going to be for mobile that is the truth. Look at all hardware transitions they go from overly huge to more streamlined and mobile. The industry is just adapting to changes and mobile is where its at especially for indies. Low amount of money needed to get in with a high return.

#23 1 year ago
  24. nollie4545

PC gaming is not elitist, it really isn’t. I got into it and I knew nothing about PCs yet I managed to build my own rig and install an OS. Then you install your own browser, get steam and the next thing you know its easier than slicing bread and toasting it.

Its a little expensive to start with but a modest gaming rig can shove games out above console quality for nothing like the 1-2K often spent on headline rigs. You don’t need to spend big money, you really do not.

With more and more forums, and standardised components there has never been a better time to hit the platform.

#24 1 year ago
  25. OlderGamer

Nothing to argue there PB. Still doesn’t change anything. When you are a console, you don’t want the games or the talent that makes them going anywhere else. It doesn’t matter if they go PC or wristwatches. You are trying to be the one stop shop for games.

#25 1 year ago
  26. OlderGamer

nollie +1

#26 1 year ago
  27. Phoenixblight

And PS4 seems to be going that route with using an architecture that is similiar to the PC and they talking about allowing devs to self publish. You know what that sounds like? The mobile market and PC market. People will go for consoles because its to plug in and play no need to worry about drivers or troubleshooting hardware. PC you get stuff like Rage or Tomb Raider with it having horrible drivers are being built with one GPU manufacturer in mind. You don’t get that with a console.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Fin

PC gaming isn’t elitist.
    The people who enthuse about it are.

#28 1 year ago
  29. blackdreamhunk

Leaving Console gaming for PC Gaming.

#29 1 year ago
  30. xxJPRACERxx

I really like that Sony is talking about games and not stupid TV tuner…

It’s nice to see a console maker listening to game devs.

Also a nice thing about using normal PC parts, if they continue that way with the PS5, and there’s no reason why not, is backward compatibility. PS5 will be backward compatible with PS4.

But my only reason to keep gaming on PC is keyboard and mouse (well, trackball in my case).

#30 1 year ago
  31. ManuOtaku

I do like sony did take the humble approach with their new system, especially in the tech side of things doing a lot easier the time of developers that will mean more great things for us the consumers, now i think the difference between multiplatform games will not exist, in terms of performance, once again exclusives will be a key issue this coming gen.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Virginityrocks

The only reason to keep gaming on a PC is that it already does everything, including gaming.

#32 1 year ago
  33. SuperJollyGreenGiant

Never forget that Michael Denny is probably the most boring man in video games. He is a corporate boot licking drone who knows how to count beans but not how to make games.

‘To do that you’ve got to have the best creators on board, the best development teams.’

Sony internal development in the UK has been a case of steady decline in recent years, mismanaged and not able to recognise or retain talented and experienced creators. Sony Liverpool case in point.

#33 1 year ago
  34. ps4some

@18 indeed but he had quite a few months off and has recently returned

#34 1 year ago
  35. nollie4545

The reason to game on a PC is plain and simple. You want next gen console graphics today. You want quality settings of 1080P and above. You want higher frame rates, you want a bigger and better MP experience. And you want to buy games cheaper, or because you want to buy and play games which simply are not available on console.

The more expensive the next gen consoles are, the weaker the argument for buying into them, you might as well spend a bit more and get a modest desktop PC, wait two years and upgrade the graphics card.

#35 1 year ago
  36. DarkElfa

PS4 will be the first console I’ve bought in 12 years and I don’t care if it’s made of purple dragon livers and candy corn as long as it plays games well.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Keivz

You seem to have forgotten about console exclusives. That, and I’m willing to bet PC ports won’t be able to match console games for at least the first 1-2 years of the next gen consoles’ releases, just like when this generation started. It’ll takes quite a bit of extra-horsepower to overcome the lack of optimization (dedicated programming to uniform hardware) that the consoles enjoy.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Djoenz

Seems to me all PC elitists care about is hardware and graphics… I only care about the games. Exclusives. I stick with consoles because of the games. 720p Uncharted and Tomb Raider is more than enough for me graphics wise. Beautiful.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Djoenz

Enjoy your crisis 3 on pc it still remains a mediocre game wahahaha!

#39 1 year ago
  40. Dave Cook

@39 Crysis 3*

#40 1 year ago
  41. Samoan Spider

And somewhere in all of this, we gamers forgot that we like to play games. Games are available on a variety of platforms depending on what you need and require. No one is right or wrong. I’ve recently jumped off the medium/1080p wagon and realised that max settings 900p/720p gives me the experience I want. This coming from a PC gamer. But here’s the kicker. Do you know what a lot of my friends are playing at the moment? I mean sinking proper time into? Candy Crush. Yeah I know, but that’s a fact.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Christopher Jack

Anyone who thinks console gaming is about having the same detailed graphics as their $3k rig is retarded. I’d honestly probably build a new desktop before a PS4 or neXtBox.

Frankly any modern ‘core’ PC gamer wouldn’t want less than a Core i5 processor ($150+), a $100 minimum GPU (GTX650/Radeon 7770), 8GB RAM ($40+), then you need your mobo($40+), HDD ($50+ for 500GB), optical drive ($20+[I still consider it essential]), PSU ($20+), case ($30+), KB&M ($10+) & altogether you’ll be looking at $450+ (exc. Windows license) for a very basic PC that will be outperformed by the PS4.

You could perhaps find cheaper prices than what I listed but the majority of consumers wouldn’t.

I personally wouldn’t build the above listed rig as I don’t see the point in spending that much for something that can’t max games @1080p on a single screen so I’d probably be looking at upgrading the CPU to an i7(another $100+) simply because it’ll be longer before I’d have to replace & I am quite interested in grabbing the Radeon 7970 (another $300+). Maybe another 8GB of RAM too. Of course I’d need enough spare dough before even considering getting this.

#42 1 year ago
  43. OrbitMonkey

@41, I’d argue that arguing about the platform is a large part of being a gamer tbh. Either for or against a particular platform, or trying to keep the peace, it’s part and parcel of the whole shebang :-)

Obviously some take it to far, but you always get nutters, regardless of the hobby… I’m betting theirs some right headbangers at Crufts for example!

Besides, if gamers were not willing to rant/discuss these things online, sites like VG247 wouldn’t exist & poor old Dave would be dishing out chips in some dingy glaswegian greasy-spoon… Probably :-)

#43 1 year ago
  44. Samoan Spider

@43 No denying that. The industry I work in breeds fanatical nutters more than most areas I can assure you. Which I guess is why it bothers me that people aren’t objective enough to see things on their merits instead choosing blind fanaticism .
    Also, whilst I’d happily buy chips from Dave, you’re right insofar as the lunatics are doing him a kindness by saving him from a life of salt and vinegar servitude ;)

#44 1 year ago
  45. Djoenz

@40 perhaps I spelled it that way on purpose? Nahh real typo. You got me haha. I played Crysis on PC years ago on medium settings. At the time buddy of mine couldnt play it on ultra settings no one could tbh. Crysis has been talked about for ages but for what reason? Because of the awesome gameplay and story? Or graphics?..-__-

#45 1 year ago
  46. TD_Monstrous69

I like on how a lot of people here are basically declaring the PS4 and next-gen consoles dead, and that gaming PC’s are the greatest bestest thing ever in my life forever for gaming doode, and that nothing on next consoles will ever be as great as PC”s, all before the next generation consoles have ever even been demoed or really had any substancial content shown for them. Though one thing I will say about the PS4 is I really like the approach that Sony is taking with it, and it should only be a benefit for everyone in the equation for the PS4′s success. Also, Naughty Dog working in the current Cell-based architecture have made phenomenal technical marvels of games, with Uncharted 3 basically rivaling or topping almost anything that’s been done tech-wise on the PC. Now them working in the X86-based architecture, I can only imagine what’s possible.

#46 1 year ago