FIFA 14 is “huge”: will go big on connectivity, but retain single-player fun

Monday, 11th March 2013 11:03 GMT By Dave Cook

FIFA 14′s enhanced online features have been discussed in a new interview with the series’ executive producer David Rutter. However, EA Sports won’t forget about the joys of solo play.

In an interview with WhatCulture, Rutter said that EA’s goal of an always-online, interconnected experience has already been realised, and that the team will go further with FIFA 14.

Said Rutter, “For someone with a connected console you’re completely connected with the EA Sports Football Club component of the game now. Everything you do in the game counts towards your level, you can see what your mates have been up to.”

“We’re delivering data updates on professional players and injecting challenges from real matches. You can download an App to keep track of your EASFC stuff, and manage your Ultimate Team too from the bus or workplace. You’re right – it’ll get even more like this in the next few years.”

But if you’re a fan of playing alone, then fear not, for you can still get stuck in solo if you want. Rutter confirmed that this is still a key area for EA Sports.

He explained, “I think this is because it’s an excellent experience, and also because it’s sometimes a major hassle hooking up with your mates online to play head to head or the people online are quitting/cheating/beating you up. We’re working on that too.”

Rutter closed by saying that all of this effort will make FIFA 14 a huge game, brimming with extensive features. “For FIFA we’re already really pretty broad”, he said, “single player, co-op, competitive multiplayer, ranked, unranked, career, and all locked to a player or as any player, across a massive comprehensive set of players, teams and leagues. It’s a huge game.

“Our biggest features in the last three years have probably come from ‘deep’. I think deep is what gets the 90+ ratings and the fans eager, but you can’t be too narrow. Our fans have really diverse tastes in modes and we need to cater to that.”

Are you excited for FIFA 14? What would you like to see from it? Let us know below.

Thanks OXM.

1. MidlifeAxe

More always-online DRM folks.

#1 1 year ago
  2. The_Red

SimCity says hi.
    I’m not joking. EA really seems to be going after always-online for their next-gen games. Just imagine the SimCity launch disaster repeating itself for Battlefield 4, Respawn game, Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect 4. That’s one way of retaining “singleplayer fun”.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Dragon246

@Red,
    Join my boycotting party then :) I wont buy always-on DRM shit on consoles ever.

#3 1 year ago
  4. The_Red

@Dragon
    Joined :)

Didn’t get Diablo 3, didn’t go for SimCity and won’t buy any game with this disgusting feature, on PC or console. There is nothing wrong with having enhanced connected features for singleplayer games. Heck, I payed near $100 for Demon’s Souls (plus a similar amount for Dark Souls) and enjoyed their online features but there was no always-online.

The moment a publisher does that to any similar, singleplayer-like experience, I’m out. This will probably ruin Dragon Age 3 and Mirror’s Edge 2 for me.

#4 1 year ago
  5. SplatteredHouse

At least Konami actually care about the game.

#5 1 year ago
  6. MadFingerz

Outstanding, expect longer loading times and more pop-up crap now, I’m so thrilled..

#6 1 year ago
  7. NightCrawler1970

@6, you will have pop-ups commercials during the game?
    wow…

#7 1 year ago
  8. Djoenz

EA fucking sucks man. I made a origin account for Dead Space years ago but I forgot the damn thing.. And now since I got ME3 yesterday I need to make use of tht MP but need to log in or make new account -__-
    Single Player and Multi Player needs to separate! Two different things. They forcing me to go MP but what if I dont want that.. Sigh..

#8 1 year ago
  9. MadFlavour

This game will finger you if you buy it.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Badumtsss

Nowhere in the source article is anything said about FIFA 14. This is completely manufactured.

#10 1 year ago