Braid creator explains why The Witness went PS4-exclusive

Monday, 11th March 2013 14:47 GMT By Dave Cook

Braid creator Jonathan Blow has explained why his upcoming game The Witness is releasing as a timed PS4 exclusive. He claims that the nature of Xbox 720 leaks led him to believe that Microsoft’s new rig isn’t just about games any more, while Sony’s renewed focus on gaming felt more appealing.

“There were a lot of reasons why it was a good choice,” he told Edge. “Some were technical – we haven’t officially been disclosed on Microsoft’s next console, but we do see the same leaks as everyone else has, and they seem plausible.

“To me they talk about a console that is not strictly about games. It’s trying to be the centre of the living room device, which is fine and maybe it’s the right thing for Microsoft to do, business-wise.

Blow also hinted slightly that the PS4 may be more capable then whatever Microsoft is working on, in terms of handling his high-performance game, “I don’t know; I actually don’t think it is, but they’ve certainly thought about it more than me! As a place to put the best, highest performing version of our game on, it doesn’t seem as good a choice.”

The developer also revealed that his dealings with Microsoft – which published his mega-hit game Braid – have not always been cheerful, “I’ve had a bad time working with Microsoft in the past. Maybe not super bad, but a moderately bad time in terms of business relationships.

“Other developers who are friends of mine have had a horrible time, so the idea of signing up again with Microsoft isn’t something I’d have ruled out, but there’s a certain amount of dread I have about doing that again.

“I don’t have that with Sony. Who knows, maybe it’ll turn out to be just as bad at the end! But I don’t think so. The people we’re talking to on a daily basis there are just really good people, and we’re happy to work with them. We’ll see how it goes.”

What do you make of the above? Does it seem like Sony’s approach to indies has surpassed Microsoft’s? Does this bode well for PS4′s future as a relatively open platform? Discuss below.

Meanwhile, you can see Jonathan Blow’s PS4 trailer for the Witness here:

Thanks CVG.

1. jonahfalcon

It’s not a PS4 exclusive. It’s a timed exclusive.

2. Dave Cook

@1 yes I know, I said that in the first paragraph.

“Braid creator Jonathan Blow has explained why his upcoming game The Witness is releasing as a timed PS4 exclusive.”

3. manamana

@Dave most people read only headlines, you know …

4. manamana

I think the more open aproach to developers from Sony is marvelous and if they can keep it up, they will kick Microsoft in their weary nuts.

5. OrbitMonkey

Sony sure knows how to sweet-talk the devs or late…

6. Dave Cook

@3 That’s just foolish though innit? :P

Headlines are nothing without context. Silly internet…

7. Clupula

But it can’t possibly be the right choice! I mean the 720 is going to have Skype and a TV Tuner and those are killer apps!

8. Moonwalker1982

This Jonathan Blow guy is a whiney ass dude, i’m sorry but he is. He likes to badtalk MS but he forgots that he was the one being a hard-ass. MS had their requirements for XBLI and he kept whining and complaining so MS actually let him ignore those and it’s still not good enough. Isn’t he the guy that said people didn’t like his game ‘the right way’ in Indie Game: The Movie?

9. Lengendaryboss

@7 Hahahaha :)

10. povu

Or, you know, because Sony paid the guy a good amount for timed exclusivity.

11. Dave Cook

@10 Nope.

12. aleph31

Sony made clear in their presentation that it was all about the games (let’s see if they stand to their word though). I think Microsoft wants to fight Apple rather than Sony.

13. Yoshi

@6 Just like there’s nothing without grammar and punctuation.. “Can we eat out Grandma?” “Can we eat out, Grandma?” XD

14. Clupula

@13 – Well, you know you can prick your finger but you can’t finger your prick.

15. OlderGamer

If I go with a “next gen” system, I am going PS4. I think. Leaning that way right now anyways. I get the same feeling about the games focus, or lack there of from MS as well. Gonna wait for it to play out a bit first. Will be the first couple of system launches I didn’t stand in line for.

16. melonbuster1

Why buy just one system? ? If you like games you just have all platforms and buy games. Makes no sense to fight about who’s better because in the end games are the goal.

17. deathm00n

@16 Not everyone has money to buy more than one system.

18. Lengendaryboss

@16 Unfortunately we are not all rich like you: I currently own 3 platforms (1 out of 3 i purchased personally) but going by your logic we should all splash out the cash on all major platforms.
    Anyway the PS4 sounds like my sort of gaming console either way it will end up in my home (even if i didn’t ask for it) just like previous PlayStation Consoles.

19. Edo

I agree with Blow J.

20. Armitage Shanks

Think i will reserve judgement until i actually get to see what the next xbox is like and what games its gonna have,PS4 looks like a great system but gotta wait till E3 to see if there is anything exclusive to it that i actually want to play.

21. KAP

Microsoft seems like they can’t do fuck-all wrong. Just look at the comments here.. My god. If Sony had come out and said they were focusing on anything but games Sony would get crucified right now.

Fuck me, I’m not saying anything about fanboyism but damn.. Sony is really trying here and it’s still not good enough.
    Microsoft is in a position to piss off there huge fanbase and it clearly won’t matter, people will suck there ass regardless.

Jonathan Blow. A renouned games creator has come out with his statement on how shoddy MS could become and these bell ends are saying he’s has the problem?! What the fuck?!

22. dkpunk

@20 *Gasp* Waiting to judge? No way! This guy sounds like a scorned lover. I’m glad Sony is starting to listen to devs, but I’m sticking with a wait-and-see attitude.

23. Belasco

Wow KAP,I think I see maybe just a few comments criticising Blow and you lose your shit. If Blow is truly going off of the rumors everyone is seeing, I believe him being so vocal about which console he is alligning himself with is utterly foolish.
    Not to mention he isn’t even making exclusive games for Sony, so its a supremely stupid move on his part when he knows next to nothing about the next Xbox.