BioShock: Infinite “will live long in the memory of gamers”, says publisher

Monday, 11th March 2013 14:34 GMT By Dave Cook

BioShock Infinite publisher 2K Games has said that Irrational Games’ shooter will linger in the memory of gamers and the industry once it’s done.

Speaking with MCV, the publisher’s UK marketing boss Simon Turner said, “BioShock Infinite is like no other shooter out there.

“Not only does it demonstrate the technical quality that gamers expect, but the story and characters invite you into a world so rich and immersive that people will be talking about it for a long time to come.”

Now, I know what you’re thinking right? ‘Of course the publisher would say that’, but as I recall people still talk about the original BioShock a lot to this day, and it frequently makes best-of lists around the web. So maybe, just maybe Ken Levine and company can repeat the feat?

What do you think?

Meanwhile, Irrational is teasing the BioShock: Infinite launch trailer by way of a screenshot. It shows a Handyman about to whale on a hapless fool. Check it out here:

1. SameeR_Fisher

Ken Levine is able to do it.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Edo

15 days to go…time goes by …so slowly.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Samoan Spider

@2 Bonus points for the lyrical reference unless it was accidental in which case, damn you for making me think of Madonna ;)

#3 1 year ago
  4. DSB

I think it’s a problem for PR’s everywhere, whether it’s music, movies or games, that they consistently stick to overselling their games, instead of just selling them.

I fully expect Infinite to have a certain level of quality, but that just means you don’t have to go nearly as far in trying to sell it to me.

When I was reviewing music by a band that was soundly mediocre and I read a page from some numbskull PR telling me how amazing and unique they were, it just made me hate the music even more.

If perception is reality, lead with authenticity.

#4 1 year ago
  5. manamana

@DSB absolutely. They would be better off to not build too much of a high hope, unless they really can back it up. To be surprised is one thing but to be disappointed is far more memorable.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Edo

@3 Yeah,that was intentional :),I use to annoy people by constantly singing that part from the song,which almost cost me my job.

#6 1 year ago
  7. OrbitMonkey

Live long in the memory…. As the biggest disappointment of 2013?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Djoenz

I didn’t like Bioshock tht much.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

@7 Why’d you say that dude? I’m sincerely just interested. Is it not looking like what you’d want from a BioShock game?

#9 1 year ago
  10. ps4fanboy

I didn’t play the 1st bioshock yet. Played Bioshock 2, liked it very, very much. In fact i like it so much that i dont even play it just because i’m afraid that if i play it, it’l end.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Dave Cook

@10 “because i’m afraid that if i play it, it’l end.”

I genuinely like that attitude. Kudos :)

Play it though, it’s better than the second by a long mile. So many superb moments. You’ll enjoy it I’m sure.

#11 1 year ago
  12. ps3fanboy

‘If perception is reality, lead with authenticity.’

authenticity is what is lacking more and more in the gaming industry, sadly…

#12 1 year ago
  13. manamana

@Dave are you planning a big story on Bioshock? Would be interesting to hear how the long developement time went and how much the late approach from Fergusson made an impact on the game. And the focus on Liz. And well, everything there is to know about it, because I just can’t wait to hear anything about it :-)

#13 1 year ago
  14. OrbitMonkey

@Dave, No it looks lovely, but I’m trying not to buy into the hype, y’know? I mean what happens if it’s not perfect, just really good?

After I totally hyped myself up for The Last Samurai and Kingdom of Heaven, only for both to be quite dull, I now view all these big talk promo’s with reservation.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Dave Cook

@13 I’d like to do that yeah. That’s something they wouldn’t touch until long after it’s out though. Definitely something I’m already keen to explore though :)

We have some things planned for the launch though. Stay tuned.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Dave Cook

@14 I understand that view yeah. It’s my most-wanted game this year after Castleania LoS 2. I’m really hoping it will be superb, but I’m good at not letting expectations run away from me.

I know how it feels to get burned after high expectations too, so nowadays I just reel them in.

I’m confident that Infinite will be superb though. We’ll know soon enough :)

#16 1 year ago
  17. DSB

@14 Yeah, spot on. I’m definitely a grumpy cat sort of gamer, but there’s nothing worse than buying the hype and then having to barf it back up when you actually see the game.

You kinda have to remember that it’s still being made by people.

@15 That would be pretty interesting. Ken Levine seems like he’s really hard to get to in an interview. In the ones I’ve read, it seems like he’s soundly bored and just thinks your questions are stupid.

I’d definitely pack a few screwballs to throw him off guard if it was me.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Telepathic.Geometry

I reckon that Levine has earned enough credit with gamers to be believable on this point. I reckon it’ll be memorable. God knows Bioshock was. So give Infinite a chance, would you kindly?

#18 1 year ago
  19. Dave Cook

@17 I interviewed Ken once and found it to be incredible, but I know exactly what you mean man.

Check it out here, I’m very proud of this one:

#19 1 year ago
  20. Dragon246

Cant wait for this, but I have one very big concern.
    That is what they will name the Bioshock after Bioshock Infinite :P ?

#20 1 year ago
  21. DSB

@19 Good piece man, that was better than the other interviews I’ve read.

He definitely comes off as pretty cool and “to the point” though. That dude needs a challenge :P

#21 1 year ago
  22. Dave Cook

@21 thanks man, I love my work ;)

He does yeah, and I don’t fuck about in my interviews. If I come away with stock answers then I’ve failed at my job essentially.

They’re only people like you or I at the end of the day :)

EA are the hardest to crack though. They memorise their scripted lines well.

#22 1 year ago
  23. manamana

@22 awesome read. Thanks for the link. Can’t wait to read more about levine, he absolutely knows what he’s talking about.

Gosh, my body is ready!

#23 1 year ago
  24. Edo

@14 “I mean what happens if it’s not perfect, just really good?”
    Dude..there is no such thing as “perfect game”..also,there’s no Santa.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Gheritt White

Game of the Gen, 100% for sure.

#25 1 year ago