Assassin’s Creed 4 will ‘give pirates the HBO reality treatment’, isn’t for kids says Ubisoft

Monday, 11th March 2013 14:26 GMT By Dave Cook

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flags is going to tell a real, gritty and thoroughly entertaining pirate story, Ubisoft’s lead content manager Carsten Myhill has said. The team is thinking along the lines of big production value and high drama, much like an HBO television series.

Speaking with MCV, Myhill set out his team’s stall for Assassin’s Creed 4, “We have a fantastic opportunity for pirates in video games. Certainly when Assassin’s Creed III naval came out, there was a clamour from the fans for a pirate game. There’s no doubt that the people want it.

“But it’s not easy. It takes a very talented team, a lot of experience and great tech. It’s one thing having good naval combat, but combining that with good boarding and land-based gameplay in a seamless way, is hard to do.

“We’re staying away from cliches. Things like walking the plank, parrots on the shoulder and hooks for hands. We are giving pirates the HBO, reality treatment. And that allows us to redefine piracy in entertainment. No longer is it for kids.”

We’ve already seen protagonist Edward Kenway walking away from a threesome in the Assassin’s Creed 4 trailer, and engaging in plenty of violent fights, so perhaps the game will be darker than the rest of the series.

To see that trailer again, simply hit the link, and let us know what you think below:

Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag trailer makes its debut.

1. deathm00n

So was AC3 going to be the war of Assassin’s vs Templars and the american war just a background for it, with connor not choosing sides and killing people from both sides.

They did the opposite of what they promised. So yeah, I don’t beleive in Ubisoft anymore when the topic is AC.

2. Samoan Spider

I really want this to be good. I know, its a risk, but its true. I do. I’m itching for a non childish Pirate game with high production values. Just take my money Ubi and please don’t make it shite.

3. Malmer

So boobs and dragons then?

4. OrbitMonkey

Lol, it’s a videogame! Their idea of gritty, will be Pirates of the Caribbean… With blood & bad language!

Make your character drink rum! Then watch him puke! How adult!!

5. Samoan Spider

@4 That reminds me, I need to pick up some Morgan Spiced on the way home. Thanks.

6. joshua nash

so ubisoft is going the “sex and violence and rum” route with this game, okay just so long as the chicks are, the violence makes you feel like a total badass, and the rum is well its rum so i guess Captain Jack Sparrow will approve of this game

7. MadFlavour

Kids won’t be allowed to buy it.

But it very much will be for kids.

8. NeoSquall

“Certainly when Assassin’s Creed III naval came out, there was a clamour from the fans for a pirate game. There’s no doubt that the people want it.”

I actually wanted a Pirates! game with their naval tech, the one made by Sid Meier.

9. mimasap

Wow, this game is amazing! I can’t wait for it to come out! I just watched a gameplay footage of it here:
    I think this wasn’t yet released to YouTube (please correct me if I’m wrong), so you need to download it. The gameplay starts at 1:53.