Tomb Raider tots up 1 million players in 48 hours

Friday, 8th March 2013 05:31 GMT By Brenna Hillier

According to a tweet from Tomb Raider global brand manager Karl Stewart, Lara Croft’s latest adventure has reached 1 million players in 48 hours. It’s not clear whether Stewart is referring to sales or just players who have fired the game up while online, allowing Crystal Dynamics to log them, but the developer also said he’d heard some stores are running low on stock. Tomb Raider is available on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

1. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

This makes me happy. The new TR is bloody brilliant.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Blue Oni

That’s cool i guess.With the new TR they have lost lots of old time fans but they have also gained lots of new ones.I hope the new ones will be as dedicating to this series (at its highs and lows) just as much as the old fans were in the past.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Francis O

Is there multiple difficulties settings in the game?

#3 1 year ago
  4. Gheritt White

@3: Yes.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Francis O

Ok, I’ll give it a try then. I hate when games are too easy.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Mineral4r7s

@5 well the game is really easy even on the hardest difficulty.

@1 I would’t call the game brilliant its really enjoyable hence I played 24 hours of it but its not brilliant, many little flaws that make me giggle like seeing every other survivor is always clean and proper while lara gets dirtier every second. Lots of other things that involve spoilers so I can’t talk about them xD

Its a good game and its definitly worth its price and it works! (that alone justifys the price nowadays it seems!)
    No crush for me, I read about nvidia issues but those are driver problems; I had none myself.

#6 1 year ago
  7. karma

Three reasons i’m not getting this.

1. Quick Time Events make me want to stab my eyes out.
    2. Regenerating health makes me want to sever my hands and feet off.
    3. Its a shame there is no longer any underwater puzzle solving.

And another thing that also has me cautious is that many of the reviews make it sound like a combat game, rather than an exploration and puzzle solving platformer. I never really liked the increasing focus on heavy human combat in the latter Tomb Raider games.

On the plus side, I do like the more realistic and grounded to reality Lara. Too bad they didn’t focus more on survival, scrounging for food, water and medical supplies to survive etc.

#7 1 year ago
  8. anik_lc

This game is amazing. Definitely one of the best games of 2013. So many ‘holy shit’ moments throughout the game, and I didn’t even finish half of it. :D

#8 1 year ago
  9. anik_lc

@3, play in Hard mode and don’t use Survival Instinct plus turn off button help from options. The game is much harder then. :D

#9 1 year ago
  10. PEYJ

I’m a about a fourth (perhaps a third) into the game and I’m very dissapointed. The story is like Lost with 18-20 year olds (and a couple of 25-year olds trying to act as if they were 45), hence the characters and dialogue absolutely sucks. Especially Camilla Ludlington(Lara Croft) tries way too hard to sond wise, sexy and suffering at the same time. Everytime she sits by the campfire she starts japping on what has happened – Christ, shut up!

Gameplay wise it’s just a third person action-shooter with stealth in it. Seriously, the way little Lara use brute force to take down her much larger foes in abundance. The exploration and climbing is at a minimum.

I really hope it improves but I’m not too optimistic

#10 1 year ago
  11. manamana

Didn’t try the multiplayer as I feel (like in most games) that it’s tacked on. I also think that they should’ve focused more on bigger puzzles/tombs but the overall gameplay experience is really great. I never got bored, there was always something that kept me going. It shure has it’s flaws and I wouldn’t say that it’s a masterpiece but it’s a great game nonetheless with huge production values. And I think the designers did an outstanding job, considering the age of this-gen consoles. The vistas are gorgeous at some times and Lara is really going through a lot and you can tell by the looks of her.

Are the other characters numb? Is the AI lousy? Is it more action oriented than puzzle solving plattforming? Has it way too many QTEs? – Yes! But I don’t care and will give it a second playthrough for shure.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Hellhound30x

HELL YEAH! Totally well deserved! SELL BABY! SELL!!!

#12 1 year ago
  13. Rafa_L

I’, really enjoying the game so far, but I haven’t played that much.

I was worried that Lara would be too psychologically weak, but I didn’t think it was the case.

So far I agree with people complaints, the characters are shallow, all the voices sounds like teenagers to me and the dialogues seems staged, not natural. I also don’t like quick time events, the AI is lousy and I miss more puzzles, even if you do not use the survival instinct, they are very simple.

I like the exploration, I just got out of the forest, Lara just started killing people, and I’m constantly exploring the map for collectibles. The maps aren’t big, but they do offer more exploration possibilities than any uncharted.

Anyway, I’m being critic as everybody should, but I’m not saying it’s not fun, I’m liking it a lot so far and anxious to see how the story progresses!!

#13 1 year ago
  14. Vice

Really happy for them, the game is absolutely fantastic, pure triple A title, very beautiful and diverse and Lara is gorgeous even despite all the dirt and blood.
    Game of the year for me already, I doubt anything can top it. It’s THAT great.
    Uncharted is a pile of shit compared to this game, as it should be.
    Also I really pity console players, they miss ALOT.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Phoenixblight

I rented and beaten it. The game took about 7 hours to beat and when I beat the game it said I had 78% overall and that was with me just being casual and not actively seeking all the tombs, relics and items. I felt it is not purchase worthy as the plot is extremely predictable, weak gameplay with lots and lots of eye candy.

Its cool and all but it doesn’t justify 60$. Its like God of War and Uncharted had a child. Its loaded with QTEs, I would say more than God of War 3. When the game had started I thought it would be more open but as you play you realize its a corridor game and that is where I felt it fell short.

If I had to pick a game that had the lost survivor on an island trying to get off, Far Cry 3 would be the better choice. It had far better writing and a lot more interesting characters along with actual choice in the skill system another thing that Tomb Raider was lacking. It just felt like I absolutely had to pick skills I felt weren’t towards my playstyle and would never use. The puzzles were extremely easy to figure out, it was pretty laughable at what they consider “puzzles”. I thought Uncharted had easy puzzles but this game just seem to focus on the eye candy than gameplay. This is Tomb Raider and the tombs are its weakest aspect, wtf?

#15 1 year ago