GTA: regular sequels would “degrade” franchise, says Take Two exec

Friday, 8th March 2013 04:54 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Grand Theft Auto would be harmed if Take-Two pushed for more frequent sequels, the publisher’s chief operating officer Karl Slatoff has said.

“Often times people ask us ‘Why don’t you come out with Grand Theft Auto every two years?’” Slatoff said during the Wedbush Transformational Technologies Conference, as reported by Gamespot.

“To us, that doesn’t make sense, because Grand Theft Auto, every single time it comes out, is a brand new experience. You can’t possibly do that in two years.

“And if we did that, our product would fatigue and the franchise would degrade from a value perspective.”

Both Rockstar and patent company Take Two have been adamant that Grand Theft Auto would resist the lure of pumping out rapid sequels, despite being one of the industry’s best-selling franchises. Grand Theft Auto 4 has generated over 25 million copies worldwide to date.

Grand Theft Auto 5 is due in September on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and is expected to sell by the boatload. Take-Two is also throwing talk around about an “extensive” line up of unannounced games. We may need bigger boats.

1. Dragon246

You have my support for this.
    Kudos to Rockstar and 2K for following this great policy.

2. MegaGeek1

“And if we did that [develop sequels every 2 years], our product would fatigue and the franchise would degrade from a value perspective.”

I’d like to print those words off onto a piece of paper, wrap that piece of paper around a brick, then toss it at Bobby Kotick’s head.

3. CaptPierce

One of the best selling franchises in the industry, and they still value quality>quantity. Major props to them!

@2 Toss it back to EA and Ubisoft while you’re at it. haha.

4. Clupula

Very much agree with him.

5. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

Yep, he’s spot on.

I liked Assassin’s Creed. I liked Call Of Duty. But they don’t feel special in the same way GTA does, in the same way Elder Scrolls does. I find them easy to ignore when every November; bam! Here’s another one, even though we ran out of good, useful ideas that improve the experience three games ago, here’s another one with some arbitrary tat stitched on so we can give it a different number on the end.

6. Blue Oni

I’m not into GTA but i have lots of respect for that viewpoint.

7. Lengendaryboss

Spot on as usual now that COD and Assassin’s Creed have become annual products you can already see value decreasing.

8. NooB GobliN

I agree with that. GTA is in a class of its own.

9. Takeshi

@6: Same of you. I wish Ubisoft had taken that approach with Assassins Creed. I really do love third-person adventures games like Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3 and Tomb Raider.

For COD I am a bit more forgiving because of Black Ops II.

10. Moonwalker1982

Yup. They could churn out a new GTA every year with a few differences but they actually give Rockstar their time to fully finish it. I respect this viewpoint all the way, awesome.

#10 1 year ago
  11. nklh4x0r

Just don’t do it. Assassin’s Creed and Call of Duty f*cked it up. I mean i like those 2 games (CoD singleplayer), but too much is too much.

#11 1 year ago