Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter campaign gets off to strong start

Wednesday, 6th March 2013 14:04 GMT By Dave Cook

Torment: Tides of Numenera developer inXile Entertainment has opened its Kickstarter funding page, and a torrent of backers have already pledged their support to the cause.

Update: In about two hours of going live, the Kickstarter campaign has already made $265,001 of its $900,000 goal. Jesus…

The Kickstarter page has already made $29,108
pledged its $900,000 goal, with 216 backers already on board. You’ll find funding tier rewards, new concept art and gameplay details through the link.

The spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment is due to release on PC December 2014, and we’ve just today posted part of a big interview with inXile on the project.

We talk about the RPG’s moral ‘Tides’ system, and the way that players can influence the plot and sprawling multi-dimensional game world through their actions and words. Check it out here.

Are you excited? Will you back the project? Let us know below.

1. bitsnark

Donated!!

2. bitsnark

And now its at just over 50K.

I reckon they’re going to murder that funding goal you know.

3. DSB

Who’d have thunk it?!

4. bitsnark

Have you donated sir?!

5. DSB

Not yet squire! I may just do it. I may just do it.

Somehow I think it’s gonne be fine without my pennies :P

6. bitsnark

Indeed – its skyrocketing at the minute!

7. DSB

It’s gonna be done in Unity though?

Hummm.

8. deathm00n

Holy s**t, in under 1 minute 2k dollars, while I write this more 1k

9. YoungZer0

Meanwhile Project Awakening is still struggling. O:

10. Tavarish

@224k USD as of writing this and starter has been open for around 1 hour :D Something tells me that 900k USD is collected in matter of hours if this speed keeps up. Awesome thing!

11. Erthazus

It’s 248K already. Jesus man.

12. freedoms_stain

@9, UE4 game, no mention of system requirements past “medium-tier PC” which is hazy at best.

On the other hand a Unity game will run on extremely modest hardware.

Do you see what I mean? I know a Unity game will run on my i5 2500K and dated GTX460, I have no idea if the same can be said for the UE4 game.

13. YoungZer0

@12: Yeah, I think it’s a little bit too early to talk about specs for a game that’s not finished, so I don’t blame them for being a little bit vague.

14. DSB

Project Eternity was about as vague as it got (didn’t even have a name) and they actually raised money faster than this.

All they had to say was Black Isle and old school RPG.

Kickstarter is full of imperfect pitches, but let’s not kid ourselves that it’s alpha and omega.

15. Sini

oh snap, EA you lost $60 I was going to spend on simcity today.

I might bump that $60 once I check no dragon age 2 developers are involved, they should really put that in the QA part of the kickstarter.

16. UuBuU

I wonder what Chris Taylor (Gas Powered Games) is thinking right now…… pulling out his hair in disgust probably.

Honestly though ~ I think i’d be more excited about this kickstarter if Obsidian were doing it instead of inXile. I’m not buying into the hype just because they’ve slapped the “torment” label on it.

17. bitsnark

I’d probably agree with you if Wasteland 2 didn’t look so fucking great.

18. freedoms_stain

@13, if you’re asking for a pre-purchase years in advance, you have to do better than that though.

Even just a safe notion of what a recommended modern card would be.

19. Night Hunter

$684,171

Isn’t it still the middle of the day over in the US? So these backers should come in in a few hours. This is crazy!

$685,440