Steambox testing to kick off in three to four months

Wednesday, 6th March 2013 00:19 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Valve’s living-room friendly hardware could be in tester’s hands in just a few months.

Speaking with the BBC, Valve founder Gabe Newell said he doesn’t have a firm timeline yet – of course – but may have something to show quite soon.

“We’re working with partners trying to nail down how fast we can make it. We’ll be giving out some prototypes to customers to gauge their reactions, I guess, in the next three to four months,” he said.

“There are noise issues and heat issues and being able to [deal with] that while still offering a powerful enough gaming experience is the challenge in building it.”

As for the tech itself, Newell reiterated his interest in some sort of biometric sensor.

“If you think of a game like Left For Dead – which was trying to put you into a sort of horror movie – if you don’t change the experience of what the player is actually feeling then it stops being a horror game,” he said.

“So you need to actually be able to directly measure how aroused the player is – what their heart rate is, things like that – in order to offer them a new experience each time they play.”

After months of rumours, Valve made its Steambox plans public during the CES this year. It’s also keen to encourage competitive “Steam box” offerings, going so far as to invest in the Xi3. Microsoft has said it’s not at all concerned, and much more worried about Apple, something Valve agrees with.

Thanks, Engadget.

1. Telepathic.Geometry

Valve, send me one of those mother-fuckers here. You need to make sure that it works in Japan too…

2. Diingo

Valve is proving itself to be a leader in technology, so much so that rivals even the juggernauts of Apple & Google. It’s incredible what they’ve been doing, and I sincerely hope the best for them with their Steambox. I have faith that Gabe Newell knows where the industry is heading next, unlike the corporate goons from EA, Acti, Ubi, etc. We’re heading towards a future where the community itself helps build the game, similar to the development of Minecraft.

3. jonahfalcon

hahaha. “Leaders in technology”?

Sure, let’s try to introduce the stupid biometric sensor that Nintendo twice tried to introduce and FAILED.

Meanwhile, Falcon had long did the Gamebox. Newell is just trying to push that Linux platform and no one CARES. And certainly PC gamers aren’t going to play PC games on their TV with controllers.

4. fengato

It’s a bit too late for me – by the time it’s out the PS4 and Nextbox will be vying for my attention. Would have been all over the concept in 2011/12 (as we continued to suffer through yet more years of ancient hardware), though now that the next console gen is calling, my interest in Steambox is waning.

5. manamana

Although I agree with fengato, that it would’ve had a high impact while this generation of consoles was suffering. It all comes down to games. Imagine Valve would release HL3, Portal3 and L4D3 only on Steambox , which is probably nonsense, as they would lose millions of gamers of Next-gen console gamers. But just in theory. They would have three Killer titles only for their box. And thats more than Sony and Microsoft combined, as far as it is of now…

6. Dragon246

Prediction- Outside the core gaming/PC crowd, NO ONE would care for this. I would be surprised if it reaches even 5-10 million.
    People are expecting too much. They are not capable of taking losses on hardware, so completely expect PS4 and 720 to blow the shit out of this steambox.
    Plus, good luck on selling a console without retailers. If they think they will create a mass electronic product by it only through their site, they are morons.

7. DrDamn

This all still sounds a bit, well amateur for want of a better word. I’d like to be proven wrong but it’s like a pet project than a serious entry into this sort of market. Maybe it’s just the way they and I’m more used to the marketing spiel we normally get.

Kind of agree with Dragon246 – outside the PC Crowd I’m not sure people are going to care at the moment. I think the best it can hope for is influencing the PS4/NextBox rather than any serious challenge to them.

8. Dragon246

@7,
    I agree,if it forces ps4/720 to have a better prices, that is all not me, but many consumers would want. MS is right, as of now, to say that they dont view Valve as a competitor. Those are Sony, ninty, Apple and Google.