NPD says gamers are still more likely to buy used than digital

Wednesday, 6th March 2013 18:54 GMT By Phil Owen

A recent NPD survey polled gamers on their spending habits, and it turns out that 78 percent of core players will regularly buy used games, while 70 percent regularly buy full digital versions of retail titles.

That being what it is, new physical copies still dominate, which an overwhelming 88 percent saying they normally buy new retail copies. In other relevant news: the survey found that users spent an average of $129 on games and content during the holiday quarter, and the number of people who spent less on gaming that usual in the past year was ten percentage points above those who spent more.

What about you guys? Do you like used, new or digital more?

via GI International

1. Gheritt White

I’m more interested in hearing about you, Phil. How are you doing today – all good?

#1 1 year ago
  2. mreko3230

I’ll buy it new everytime if its something I’m really interested in. If not, I’ll wait to it comes down in price or get it used down the road. That being said, I buy new because I get to trade in games I purchased the weeks before. If that option is taken away- buying new games everytime just won’t be an option.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Yoshi

lol nope.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DSB

NPD are notorious for being digital experts and would have absolutely no commercial interests tied to a study saying this, what so ever.

#4 1 year ago
  5. fearmonkey

I buy most games on PC now and buy it through steam, Origin, etc.
    On console, I’ll buy used from Gamefly, once in a big blue moon something really cheap at gamestop, but would always buy the games I really want new.

I’ll be buying Bioshock infinite on PC though Steam.

#5 1 year ago
  6. nollie4545

There is no need to buy games used for PC; old games are easily bought cheap as chips on steam or from places like Amazon anyway. Metro 2033 for £3.50? Almost giving it away.

#6 1 year ago
  7. monkees19

I’m kind of in the middle of new/used. I’ll buy used if it’s a huge price difference (which it’s usually not) or it’s my only option. I’ll buy new if it’s something I can’t wait for or I know it won’t drop in price, like most Nintendo 1st party games. I NEVER buy digital unless it’s DLC that cannot be obtained any other way.

#7 1 year ago